What degree should I do? Need help (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
I know I was gonna do bachelor of science or medical science based on my early offers but I’ve been hearing that you need a post-graduate to get a decent job in these sectors. I don’t know what career I want yet nor if i’d enjoy doing biology for a job so I don’t think I’m ready to commit to a post-graduate. Plus Id rather not prolong my education that much.

The other two options i’ve thought of for myself is a bachelor of computer science or something related to graphic design. (idk what bachelor you need for that here)

I chose CS because i was considering doing a bachelor of game development too until i realised my job options were pretty limited and the game sector is kind of non existent here. So CS could allow me to pursue game dev related stuff while still keeping my job options open. The only issue is i’m absolutely horrible at maths and I don’t enjoy it(although i heard CS maths is different, but that still doesn’t change the fact i suck ass at maths) and i’ve never done programming in my life (unless you count Scratch LMAO)

Is there anything else i could do that’s related to my interests that would give me good job options? Any science degree that doesn’t require a post graduate for a good career, or something else that’s related to game dev/graphic design/animation etc

Leadmen4y

HSC
medical science is a very much useless degree unless u want to do lab work n be like a lab assistant or something like that.

BSc leaves u with a lot of options, first that comes in mind is teaching idk the others.

CS is a very safe option career wise, but u probs should consider putting more time into maths (tho idk much about CS maths) in that regards.

i think there's a degree called bachelor of illustration or bachelor of visual arts which would be more focused on graphic design rather than programming.

https://www.sydney.edu.au/courses/courses/uc/bachelor-of-visual-arts.html usyd offers one of them

there's also a bachelor of game design in UTS iirc

Jordi El Nino Polla

HSC
From what I've heard CS Maths from 2nd yr onwards isn't a joke and is quite difficult and 1st year maths would be a 4U Revision quickly plus some additional content. You could try and move to the US/UK if you feel that game development isn't a big thing here but I will say that moving to the US is quite a trek even for Australian citizens and their work life sucks ass too (Avg of 10 paid leaves per yr), dunno about the UK. Also you don't really need to know programming before the CS degree I'm sure heaps of people don't prior to when they're enrolling.

Leadmen4y

HSC
From what I've heard CS Maths from 2nd yr onwards isn't a joke and is quite difficult and 1st year maths would be a 4U Revision quickly plus some additional content. You could try and move to the US/UK if you feel that game development isn't a big thing here but I will say that moving to the US is quite a trek even for Australian citizens and their work life sucks ass too (Avg of 10 paid leaves per yr), dunno about the UK. Also you don't really need to know programming before the CS degree I'm sure heaps of people don't prior to when they're enrolling.
I think @cloud_berry does standard maths so 1st year would be especially difficult if its 4u content. in that case wouldn't CS have an at least adv maths or 3/4u prereq?

Jordi El Nino Polla

HSC
I think @cloud_berry does standard maths so 1st year would be especially difficult if its 4u content. in that case wouldn't CS have an at least adv maths or 3/4u prereq?
Nah, unis just want money these days so they would try to not place too many restrictions and instead say "Assumed Knowledge" rather than prerequisite because they want more people to enroll. For Actuarial course, Assumed knowledge says 3U maths and no 4U prereq but the people I've talked to say that to do decent in Actuarial you probably have to do decent in 4U maths in high school and at the bare minimum at least aced 3U.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are a number of options with respect to studying graphic design:

Bachelor of Graphic Design / Pathway to Teaching Secondary - WSU:

This degree enables you to gain a thorough understanding and knowledge of graphic design, and allows for the subsequent study of a Master of Teaching (Secondary).

This means that successful completion of this program prepares you for the following career opportunities:
  • Graphic designer
  • Teacher in secondary government or non-government secondary schools.

Bachelor of Design - UNSW:

Similarly, this degree also enables you to gain a thorough understanding and knowledge of graphic design in addition to a number of fields, including:
  • 3D visualisation
  • experience
  • interaction
  • textiles.
Successful completion of this degree allows for a number of career opportunities, including:
  • Graphics and digital media
  • branding and advertising
  • user experience design
  • app development

Diploma of Graphic Design - TAFE:

This diploma strengthens your creative and technical design skills, deepens your abilities in visual storytelling and gives you the skills to step up to a career as a graphic designer, digital designer, visual designer or desktop publisher.

For a degree related to game design/development, you are correct that Australia is not a leader with respect to game development. This is perhaps something that the US is better at, meaning that, unless you are willing to travel to the US to study a degree of the sort there (or study a degree here with the aim of finding employment in the US), a degree with a focus on game design/development is probably an inferior option compared to the rest of your options.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)