• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what determines a discursive? (3 Viewers)

mishtidoi101

HSC
Technically students shouldn't have been really unprepared since the option of discursive is given almost each year except when it was a forced imaginative in 2020 i think. So many people did assume they could force a discursive and its a part of the syllabus so it should have been taught.
i see, then ig my school js srsly disadvanced my cohort cuz i dont think they even taught us persuasive (its whatever we knew from yr 10) plus they didnt even tell us how to write a discursive and dont even provide proper feedback when we submit stuff ourselves

askit

HSC
They can't account for discrepancies if someone just puts their narrative in or has a weak discursive. Also, where is the info that a large number of students were unprepared? The majority of top-ranked schools and even decent ones all account for discursive being in the exam. It's a pivotal part of the syllabus, and they cannot account for it if you did not know how to write one properly.
Agreed that you can't just put in your narrative and expect to be rewarded but the vagueness of a "discursive" gives a greater leeway to students imo - in the HSC, hybrid discursives with imaginative elements weaved throughout tend to do better than a stock-standard discussion over a generic topic ie. technology. From my gatherings many lower end schools neglected discursive writing as a pre-requisite (not defending them they should've done it) but in doing so I believe NESA will reward a piece which discusses a topic in a variety of perspectives even if it tends to be moreso an imaginative (albeit not nearly as well as a planned discursive) - OP included dialogue in their discursive, a creative choice which if done right can provide greater insight into a topic, which hopefully stemmed from the stimulus.

Solarised

HSC
in the HSC, hybrid discursives with imaginative elements weaved throughout tend to do better than a stock-standard discussion over a generic topic
Your info is so cooked I feel like your coping because you did a hybrid, most exemplar essays that achieve b6 are written in first person and negate narrative elements, rarely using them, a stock-standard discursive is the one that fits the syllabus most accurately, which is why it is the recommended pathway, hybrid essay's are a hit and miss and majority of teachers advise against this. A discursive that went briefly over the topic of technology has a much higher chance of being marked higher than a hybrid essay

HSC
Agreed that you can't just put in your narrative and expect to be rewarded but the vagueness of a "discursive" gives a greater leeway to students imo - in the HSC, hybrid discursives with imaginative elements weaved throughout tend to do better than a stock-standard discussion over a generic topic ie. technology. From my gatherings many lower end schools neglected discursive writing as a pre-requisite (not defending them they should've done it) but in doing so I believe NESA will reward a piece which discusses a topic in a variety of perspectives even if it tends to be moreso an imaginative (albeit not nearly as well as a planned discursive) - OP included dialogue in their discursive, a creative choice which if done right can provide greater insight into a topic, which hopefully stemmed from the stimulus.
Creative choices can be certainly used and it does help build on the essay like using a personal anecdote which many discursive often use, but it shouldn't be written at all like an imaginative. Like since the "time saving inventions" could include discussing about technology where you can talk about "experiences with technology" and how it was a time saving invention but made you socially less interactive. But if you think of a futuristic society and just use imaginative descriptions they can clearly tell you did not write a discursive. In short discursive do use personal anecdotes and thats fine but it should not be half of your writing piece, it should rather just be a small past experience that is, "realistic"

askit

HSC
Your info is so cooked I feel like your coping because you did a hybrid, most exemplar essays that achieve b6 are written in first person and negate narrative elements, rarely using them, a stock-standard discursive is the one that fits the syllabus most accurately, which is why it is the recommended pathway, hybrid essay's are a hit and miss and majority of teachers advise against this. A discursive that went briefly over the topic of technology has a much higher change of being marked higher than a hybrid essay
I prepared for a discursive + info is from a hsc marker - ig we'll see on the day - I'm not advocating for imaginative writing, rather saying that the vagueness of a "discursive" allows a much greater overlap than if it were forced imaginative

Solarised

HSC
I prepared for a discursive + info is from a hsc marker - ig we'll see on the day - I'm not advocating for imaginative writing, rather saying that the vagueness of a "discursive" allows a much greater overlap than if it were forced imaginative
Yea but why the hell would you state in the HSC, hybrid discursives with imaginative elements weaved throughout tend to do better than a stock-standard discussion over a generic topic, there is literally no evidence to prove this, its just a blatant lie

askit

HSC
Yea but why the hell would you state in the HSC, hybrid discursives with imaginative elements weaved throughout tend to do better than a stock-standard discussion over a generic topic, there is literally no evidence to prove this, its just a blatant lie
I think you're misunderstanding me - by imaginative elements I mean like incorporating a central motif, metaphors, similes etc. based of the stimulus. If your entire piece is a narrative it won't be rewarded but OP said they tried a "hybrid" which could be leniently marked based on how effectively they used dialogue to explore multiple perspectives - the hybrid discursive begin better than a generic discursive "blog post" type was from a hsc marker, so unless their lying to me I believe it.

Solarised

HSC
I think you're misunderstanding me - by imaginative elements I mean like incorporating a central motif, metaphors, similes etc. based of the stimulus. If your entire piece is a narrative it won't be rewarded but OP said they tried a "hybrid" which could be leniently marked based on how effectively they used dialogue to explore multiple perspectives - the hybrid discursive begin better than a generic discursive "blog post" type was from a hsc marker, so unless their lying to me I believe it.
Bro I'm just wasting my time atp cya

Junaid Shaa

HSC
Regardless I do believe that the markers will give more leeway to students this year becoz many were unprepared for it and quite frankly the reality is many schools over-prepared for imaginative and didn't spend much time for the other two forms. I heard a HSC marker saying that the average for MOD C could be a fail this year but hopefully the marking guideline is more forgiving to the approaches taken by students in this exam.

empowered

HSC
this is true - hybrids that are written well and do not take away from the discursive aspect of the response perform better obv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)