What did Davy contribute? (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
i'm finding his contribution really obscure....like wat the heck wat the key thing he discovered? All texts say that he used Volta's pile to electrolyse water, and decomposed molten salts, soemthng like that. But what does that show about electron transfer movements? What was the discovery? And hwo did impact Faraday later?

Deedum

HSC
"Davy took the concept of electron movement and used it to bring about chemical change by decomposing ionic compounds into their base component ions or reducing ions in solution. He used elecrical current to isolate chemical substances."

Or so says my work book :p

Deedum

HSC
Oooh, and Faraday was able to make quantitative predictions based on his work. Like I need this much carbon and this much current to make this much something.

samwell

HSC
Humphrey davy was the man who discovered electrolysis. He electrolysed molten substances.[somebody correct me if my next statement is wrong]--> His contiunual experiments on the principle of electrolysis and electron movement led to faradays experiments on elecreomagnetic induction. Faraday's contribution was mainly related to induction while Humphrey davy discovered the creation of current from chemical reactions[the statement presented above is not accurate]lol

tau281290

HSC
A bit too late lol, this question was being asked last year ! this forum is almost dead.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Davy simply said that Hydrogen was the acidifying agent in acids, not Oxygen as he showed HCL did not contain Oxygen.

tau281290

HSC
Hey this question is from last year!! The thread starter already finished the HSC and wouldn't care less about davy

samwell

HSC
haha lets hope they are gonna want to learn about Davy in uni. lol its almost a year too late i was blind.

Aaron.Judd

HSC
tau281290 said:
Hey this question is from last year!! The thread starter already finished the HSC and wouldn't care less about davy
Davy is more important that you or I though.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Aaron.Judd said:
Davy is more important that you or I though.
hes only important coz of us.

if we didnt care about him (which i dont), he wouldnt be important @@

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)