What Did You Think? (1 Viewer)

Marzmarzmarz

HSC
"The Individual in Society locates us in places of social and psychological change"? What the crap is that supposed to mean anyway?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Meh, I couldn't give a crap anymore (not really true, I'm devastated).
I thought it was stupid. Pretty easy questions, but I had a total mental blank and couldn't answer them. The creative writing question should have been good for those of you with prepared answers as it would be easy to adapt. Dumbasses like me who didn't prepare anything...well, I was rooted. I only wrote 4.5 pages. Shit. But I also wrote 17 pages of crap for the essay part. Shit. I didn't really get the "locates us" bit...

hannahxxx

HSC
I don't reckon we coulda asked for a betta test if we'd tried-seeing as:
a) the essay q only had ONE (very short) line we had to integrate; and
b) we were able to write out our entire creative pieces(with VERY minimal restriction).
I reckon this exam was "the best case scenario" cause (if u studied properly) you have a great chanceof going really well in both sections

Tim035

HSC
Anyone find that rediculously easy compared to advance english?

I'm annoyed though because for some really odd reason I had heaps of time compared to my timed responces at home. I'd been using these expensive office works pens but they ran out a couple of days ago so today I just used a little light weight cheapy and found I was able to write at double the speed then I could with the other pens. Hence I ended up having to extend my story about 4 pages beyond what I'd actually planned. And I easily could have fit another paragraph into my essay which is kind of sux. But overall I'm not going to complain. I think I'll do well enough in this to knock off one unit of my craptastic performance in advance maths.

urgay

HSC
yeh it was ok, i mean i had indvidual and society question and i kinda agreed and disagreed, sayin social change presented us with a society that was unable to cope with the phsycological change, eg emancipation of women elevating beyond their gender roles, however i also said, that pshcyological cchange waaas restricted byt those unwilling to have open minds to the social change........ok i wrote 26 pgs for the essaay and 20 pages for creative. my story had two points of view and was half letters, so thats differnt. im pretty pleased.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hmm. i'm a bit iffy about it all. i dont know, i mean the essay was good, easy, straightforward but it was worded funny and that put me off for a while. "Speculative Fiction locates us in places of controversy and familiarity?" huh? like i know what it was asking but "locates us in places of" was a weird way of wording it.

creative was shit. the picture didnt really do anything for me...i wrote my prepared story and changed the location to whatever i interpreted the pic to be (i forget what i wrote, it was that crap)... yeah. spec fic isnt my natural style anyway and that made it quite hard. plus "relationship between destruction and reconstruction"........how the hell does that relate to spec fic? most of my story was about destruction, i never really got around to the reconstruction bit except in this freaky symbolic way about reconstructing reality in light of truths discovered.

so all up i expect pretty mediocre marks.

Tim035

HSC
Lol yeah I wondered for a while wtf a picture of a stair case and a man on a bike had to do with destroying the landscape.

My interpretation now is its meant to be a povo country with shitty buildings and ppl riding bikes instead of driving cars (Sort of like an Anil's ghost kind of thing). But this didn't fit any of my planned stories so I had to manipulate the setting to some extent.

Last edited:

totallyoverital

HSC
I thought the Crime Fiction question was annoying. "mystery and suspense?" WTF?
I personally thought most the texts i covered were stale and tainted. The Big Sleep, in my opinion, has a totally unintelligble plot, stunted one dimensional characters and dialogue so dry and unrefined it is like sandpaper to the ears.
Hound was the same. With it's forced dialogue and overly melodramatic theatrics. Although that was suposedly part of the texts "appeal" as a parody. I personally found it as amusing as the poor acting on daytime television dramas from the early 90's.
The Skull beneath the skin... English phycoanalysis at its best...Not! The only part of that text which was relatively enjoyable was Clarissa's death. Due in part only to the relative emelent of saddism evident in the ironic destruction of her face.

Finding supportive texts to "fill" my answer though was easy: The contrast between order and disorder ( mystery) evident in N.C.I.S, The unearthing of Marxist social commentary in Who Framed Roger Rabbit relative to context and the mysterious element of Film Noir and as I had 25 minutes left, i threw in a speil about the lure of the titular sequence of Law and Order essentially relating it to the internal mystery of the human mind and the desire to persue curiosity so as to restore order from chaos.. Thus solve the mystery..

Creative Question was a snap.

Tim035

HSC
totallyoverital said:
I thought the Crime Fiction question was annoying. "mystery and suspense?" WTF?
I personally thought most the texts i covered were stale and tainted. The Big Sleep, in my opinion, has a totally unintelligble plot, stunted one dimensional characters and dialogue so dry and unrefined it is like sandpaper to the ears.
Hound was the same. With it's forced dialogue and overly melodramatic theatrics. Although that was suposedly part of the texts "appeal" as a parody. I personally found it as amusing as the poor acting on daytime television dramas from the early 90's.
The Skull beneath the skin... English phycoanalysis at its best...Not! The only part of that text which was relatively enjoyable was Clarissa's death. Due in part only to the relative emelent of saddism evident in the ironic destruction of her face.

Finding supportive texts to "fill" my answer though was easy: The contrast between order and disorder ( mystery) evident in N.C.I.S, The unearthing of Marxist social commentary in Who Framed Roger Rabbit relative to context and the mysterious element of Film Noir and as I had 25 minutes left, i threw in a speil about the lure of the titular sequence of Law and Order essentially relating it to the internal mystery of the human mind and the desire to persue curiosity so as to restore order from chaos.. Thus solve the mystery..

Creative Question was a snap.
Is this some excuse to boast your vocabulary and to try and sound sophisticated? And lol Ohh snap how the hell did I forget to throw in that The Big sleep is film noir. God I must have written and used those words about 100 times this year. Meh allwell probably -1 marks for me.
BTW it was mystery and discovery not mystery and suspence.

SharaHatter

HSC
Well i thort the exam was half half for crime fiction

Essay was good -really liked the question

Creative -well i integrated everything into my prepared story except it wasnt a short story...i gave it an ending so it was like a short story but defn was not the best short story

Oh well...mayb they will like the ending...haha

fa1nt

HSC
lol crime fiction was basic. been doin this mystery n discovery stuff the whole year and the creative was ok as well. anyone could wrap a prepared story around the picture. hopin for at least 40/50.

totallyoverital

HSC
I take it that you have never vented your frustrations, Tim.
My complaint, Which should be evident to even the most improvident lackwit, is that i found the prescribed texts outdated and stale and the question too easy.
Also, if you had bothered to paraphrase the exam question mystery and suspence ultimately lead to discovery.. Wouldn't you agree?

Nat_nat

Ooooh revenge tragedy was good!
The essay was pretty good, just required some thought =]
I think ill get E4 yay! the story was easily adaptable..
bit rushed at the end though...10mins and writin my last Related material ><

Sigur Ros

HSC
I thought it was a good paper, relatively easy, what the hell with all the fuss about the 2 unit paper, i thought it was a great paper. The retreat from the global picture was insane and hard to adapt any prepared story to, so i just had to bullshit something up in the exam. I'm pretty sure i nailed the essay though

Andrew_MM

HSC
totallyoverital said:
I take it that you have never vented your frustrations, Tim.
My complaint, Which should be evident to even the most improvident lackwit, is that i found the prescribed texts outdated and stale and the question too easy.
Also, if you had bothered to paraphrase the exam question mystery and suspence ultimately lead to discovery.. Wouldn't you agree?
Either way- you do have an impressive vocabulary. I wish you'd posted BEFORE the exams, so I could steal these words, and go NE19th century on the examiners.

Yeah- I did individual and society. It turned out really well- the creative had me thinking for a while. I didn't have a prepared essay, and the problem with the stimulus material was that it was too much like one of our prescribed texts, 'A Doll's House'... But I thought of a slightly original storyline which answered the question in ways I was happy with. I'd like to re-write the ending, but i dug myself into a corner with 'and now she could concentrate on siring an heir'...

I mean; enough said. I didn't want to go into 19th centry sexuality...if they had any.

Over all- a really good test, and much easier than advanced

NO MORE ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kgrima

HSC
Yeah I did individual in society too, i thought it was pretty straight forward considering past questions, paper 2 wasn't that had but i haven't looked at the other electives, but king lear was a better question than expected and no more english :)

urgay

HSC
individual and society was good the only thing is that you make sure u seriously answered the question, isaid pscyhological change in terms of the individual and psychological thinking of society..... hope thats ok. my ending was crap. i was like, however, the struggle continues well througout the century..........ahhh gay oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)