What Did You Think? (1 Viewer)

urgay

HSC
gnat_gnat said:
Ooooh revenge tragedy was good!
The essay was pretty good, just required some thought =]
I think ill get E4 yay! the story was easily adaptable..
bit rushed at the end though...10mins and writin my last Related material ><
WOW, u reckon ull get 45+? big call. what did u come in your grade, and how many pages did u write?

goti

HSC
totallyoverital said:
I take it that you have never vented your frustrations, Tim.
My complaint, Which should be evident to even the most improvident lackwit, is that i found the prescribed texts outdated and stale and the question too easy.
Also, if you had bothered to paraphrase the exam question mystery and suspence ultimately lead to discovery.. Wouldn't you agree?
totallyoverital just accept that YOU WERE WRONG do not try to mask your mistake by hypocritically resorting to name calling "improvident lackwit" - it appears this insult of yours is quite reflexive of yourself. Yes that's right "reflexive" I'm sure you've got a more apt word to use, probably dozens. HOWEVER, that does not give you the right to carry on in a pompous, self righteous, never admitting they were wrong [would you call that narcissistic] manner. You say you were venting your frustrations, well this is mine - people with your kind of attitude.

kateri88

HSC
crime fiction was pretty decent, 'mystery and discovery', 'destruction and reconstruction'!! ...but did anyone else find they had heaps of time?? i wrote a 14 page essay, used my 1/2 yearly story about noir backstreets for a 10 page story, and still had time to go back and beef up my essay

Keskimo

HSC
I do crime fiction and thought the question was fairly easy, although as people have said it was hard to adapt the lame prescribed texts into it (i did 'the big sleep' and 'the real inspector hound' but in hindsight 'anil's ghost' would have been more appropiate). i argued agaisnt for most of my texts. is there such thing as 'to a mediocre extent' lol? not really forming an opinion are you...
creative was good as i was able to adapt one of my pieces, just made it that the body was on the stairs. compared to some of the other photos crime fiction looked easy!
and i wrote more than 8 pages for the essay which i am really proud of because i have really small writing (note: some people in my class write 20 pages for each!).
i think i went better in this than normal english, at least for the critical study questions...can they split your advanced english mark?
and 'yay, no more english'

HSC
I thought it was alright. I did Postmodernism. The creative was kind of weird. I just made it up on the spot so I'm not sure if it's really good.

The essay question was do-able. I'm just glad it wasn't like that year when they had the picture of the dude looking in the mirror.

Anyway, this was my last exam. No more HSC yay!

Roobs

HSC
i think the crime fiction question was gay, we'd never done anything remotely like it, but it was easy enough to adapt to. u could have replaced "crime fiction" with "imaginative journey" and it works just as well.....creative; my story wasnt driven by setting in any way, so i had to make shit up on the spot....but yeah we hopes the markers like my dribble

sillysana

HSC
Tim035 said:
Lol yeah I wondered for a while wtf a picture of a stair case and a man on a bike had to do with destroying the landscape.

My interpretation now is its meant to be a povo country with shitty buildings and ppl riding bikes instead of driving cars (Sort of like an Anil's ghost kind of thing). But this didn't fit any of my planned stories so I had to manipulate the setting to some extent.

LOL!! thats funny...povo country lol
but yeah, i was totally freestyle with my story. It was so pathetic i couldnt stop laughing the whole way through, the examiners kept giving me wierd looks...
And the guy on the bike.... i made him be chased by the detective, so he pedals really fast and falls, hits his head and dies!!...i actually wrote that :rofl:

destruction of landscape??..that was gay

totallyoverital

HSC
I accept your gripe whole heartedly Goti and yes, I admit that I had my paraphrasing in mind at the time of the post rather than the actual question that was written. As I have stated previously however, I was frustrated with the relative ease of the question and adapted my language to suit my purpose. Which is the purpose of the Extension English courses, if you had bothered to read the syllabus for either Extension One or Two.
It was an expression of opinion, my opinion and was written in the same manner you would find if you were to pick up any metropolitan newspaper and read the letters to the editor. As for the "reflexive" nature of my "proposed" insult. I wish to affirm it was not directed as an insult or any other such form of derogatory nomination towards Tim or the students who studied the Crime Fiction module and was merely a statement of annoyance which by inferance you have taken out of context. If you had familiarised yourself with the classic school of crime fiction, you would know the term is merely a more expressive American equivalent to the English word "Duffer".

em jayne

HSC
what the hell syllabus point were they asking for cf essay? i couldnt decide whether to write it on the vehicle for other focuses one, or just the setting being integral to the text. i went with the setting after writing a page and a half on the other and then going 'nup.' man oh man. what a nightmare. i mean, admittedly, it was a pretty easy paper...the creative writing was good except i completely ignored the 'destruction and reconstruction' bit. ahh well. no more english!!! that makes me happy...

e_salmon

HSC
i did crime fiction with a feminist thesis, so applying the question i found was incredibly difficult as i mainly discussed the chaning values- through conventions... but still wrote 15 pages.
the creative was a breeze. fit well with my prep'd story. (10 pages)
english is done.

Tim035

HSC
totallyoverital said:
I accept your gripe whole heartedly Goti and yes, I admit that I had my paraphrasing in mind at the time of the post rather than the actual question that was written. As I have stated previously however, I was frustrated with the relative ease of the question and adapted my language to suit my purpose. Which is the purpose of the Extension English courses, if you had bothered to read the syllabus for either Extension One or Two.
It was an expression of opinion, my opinion and was written in the same manner you would find if you were to pick up any metropolitan newspaper and read the letters to the editor. As for the "reflexive" nature of my "proposed" insult. I wish to affirm it was not directed as an insult or any other such form of derogatory nomination towards Tim or the students who studied the Crime Fiction module and was merely a statement of annoyance which by inferance you have taken out of context. If you had familiarised yourself with the classic school of crime fiction, you would know the term is merely a more expressive American equivalent to the English word "Duffer".
Just out of interest what do you plan on doing next year?

namdog

HSC
Well I do crime fiction. I used Big Sleep and Hound for the essay, and adapted my prepared story for the creative.

I would've had heaps of time left, but I had to make my story longer by adding that picture to it.

For the people doing speculative fiction, what is that picture meant to be/represent?? I couldn't stop looking at it during the exam, it's interesting.

Nat_nat

urgay said:
WOW, u reckon ull get 45+? big call. what did u come in your grade, and how many pages did u write?
came first in my grade =]
I wrote...5 books...which is 40pgs

MARK01

HSC
I thought the Revenge creative was very conceptual.....'Revenge transforms the landscape.'

And destruction and reconstruction was really specific, and that house was a really specific location to include as well.

When I first saw it I was really confused....but in the end I think I made a relatively good story.

It's just such a hard task factoring in those three things along with the conventions of the genre and good writing and conveying values and whatever. But I made it through in one piece so that's a good thing!

The essay question fitted my generic structure perfectly!

RainbowBrite

HSC
Crime fiction

I liked this exam. The story was dodge though. Essay was good. I went on about conventions, contexts, values and even some stuff about crime fiction educating potential criminals to commit the perfect crime lol.

Time seemed to go on forever though in this exam.

bec slip

HSC
totallyoverital said:

Hey totallyoverit- U must hear this all the time but just to remind you (cause you have clearly forgotten) you sound like an ARSE.. clearly someone has forgotten that they are no longer in the exam- scrap the "im so full of my self" shit. Your "expression was written for a metropolitan newspaper" - cya ur writing in a forum re the HSC dumb arse- not some newspaper. Clearly someone is seriously insecure and attempts to hide behind this crazy manipulation of language. Youre not fooling anyone. Get a life, get your head out of your own arse, go choke on your own word vomit.

Goti- here here !

passion89

HSC
I thought the CF question could have been so much worse so I'm happy with what I wrote.

I don't think I prepared well for it at all but I could muster up some bullshit in the hour.

That picture for CF didn't strike any creative chords so I was like wtf through most of that section.

Oh well...

kafkan

HSC
yes i agree that guy is a prick - go read a metropolititan newspaper mate

Kahlalala

HSC
Did anyone else here do Gendered Language and find it more than a little bit bizarre?? I'm not too keen on the wording of the essay question - "locates us in a place of struggle and play" - what were they implying with "play"? Oh well! The creative was a bit strange too but at least it was something pliable and let you be creative. It wasn't a ridiculously hard paper but it was really different to past ones, I think!

Shipwreck

HSC
i just cant understand why so many people found the exam so easy -> its extension english! if its easy there is something the matter! I'm not saying i shat my pants and wanted to stab myself at the image of... actually i dont know what the image was for speculative fiction... but i digress, just because your teacher gives you 24/25 doesnt mean your the next George orwell... and i cant understand why everyone had prepared answers! we were strongly advised not to prepare any of our responses so to all the creative writers and critique writers out there who showed a little bit of adaptablitity and actually answered the question given - i give you 25.:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)