What do HSC Markers look for in Creative Writing? (1 Viewer)

sharoooooo

HSC
help pls creative writing.
teachers are telling us to be metaphorical and have a 'deep and meaningful' discovery and not just a 'basic physical' discovery.
but then we only have 40mins to adapt our prepared creative to the stimulus.
and also not write a cliche essay at the same time.

i tried to add like a back story to my creative story to try make the discovery more 'meaningful' so that my characters have more personality and will be more genuine but then the discovery wasnt metaphorical and the discovery wasnt big enough and i just wtf.
idek what to do now.

what do they want from me?!! :newburn:
what do they want to see in my creative? :newburn:
what do they award marks for?!! :newburn:

sy37

HSC
fuck creative writing

that's all I can contribute to this thread.

I have a theory that some nazi level manager is at the top of BOSTES english and forcing creative writing to be mandatory to separate the people who actually read books and have a passion vs those who are just good at logic and essays

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
The markers aren't looking for the "best" of discoveries, they look at the structure of your writing, plot, settings, characters, etc. You can have the most deepest and most meaningful discovery yet can have a bad structure which will ultimately make you lose marks.

keepLooking

HSC
They award marks for sophistication and how well you present the element of discovery. I have seen this being mentioned almost everywhere - that your creative writing should focus on a single moment rather than spanning over entire weeks or years.

iStudent

HSC
Just like markers look for techniques (and how well you analyse them) in essays, they also look for techniques (and how well you use them) in creatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)