• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do u think about ads, on TV, in mags, on the radio etc. (1 Viewer)

me myself & i

HSC
Hi, I've just started YR 12 this term, and we have to write a transcript of an online forum with a discussion (debate) about current affairs. I chose advertising, and the way "truth" is presented to us. E.g, how many girls do you know that actually look like the ones on TV and in mags. And what about Soapies? Are we teens really as shallow as they imply us to be? Anyway, and feedback would be really appreciated. :)

Thanks!!!!! :wave:

P.S: My subjects are...Advanced Mathematics, Advanced English, Music, Ancient History and Legal Studies. (not in order of preference...i hate maths)

T

Testpilot

me said:
P.S: My subjects are...Advanced Mathematics, Advanced English, Music, Ancient History and Legal Studies. (not in order of preference...i hate maths)
A. Why did you include your subjects?

B. The most important part of a forum is the troll.

me myself & i

HSC
Thanks a lot, that's really helpul. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :sleep:

BY the way "I reject your reality and substitute my own" is a quote from Adam Savage on Mythbusters. So it's really his reality u substitute. :confused:

And maybe I just wanted to add my subjects. :wave: Why did u include yours?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well his subjects are included in his signature which you can do by going here.

What subject is this discussion for? My guess would be from the subjects you included Advanced English - Module C (Telling the Truth). More to the point what exactly is your question and what do you want from us?

If it is on that as long as you can discuss what truth advertising is trying to protray to readers and the techniques and how it is done, then it should be fine.

T

Testpilot

Firstly, yes i know the quote is from Mythbusters, but you don't change a quote for your purpose.

Secondly, in all honesty you won't find help on this internet forum for the task that you are doing. Simply because your teacher will expect a highly intellectual debate, which mostly doesn't occur on these forums (except maybe News, Current Affairs and Politics). So take a look at past transcripts in the English resources section because that will probably be more like what your teacher wants.

me myself & i

HSC
Testpilot said:
Firstly, yes i know the quote is from Mythbusters, but you don't change a quote for your purpose.

Secondly, in all honesty you won't find help on this internet forum for the task that you are doing. Simply because your teacher will expect a highly intellectual debate, which mostly doesn't occur on these forums (except maybe News, Current Affairs and Politics). So take a look at past transcripts in the English resources section because that will probably be more like what your teacher wants.
oK, thanks, that's more helpful. Yes, I know the teacher will expect a highly interllectual debate. My purpose in posting this thread was to gain an insight into peoples' views, opposing or not. Also, so that I could see what kind of language different people used, so I could incorportate that into my assignment. So, even if people don't answer the question, which they probably won't because of the way I worded it, if they post anything at all, it is helpful.

T

Testpilot

On this forum people tend to use quite high register (language) in the apropriate place. Just surf around looking at the threads with debates or school problems or the IT section. However a majority of this forum is in slang etc as in Non-School and Love and Relationships. You would be best to base your task on the former rather than the latter.

me myself & i

HSC
Testpilot said:
On this forum people tend to use quite high register (language) in the apropriate place. Just surf around looking at the threads with debates or school problems or the IT section. However a majority of this forum is in slang etc as in Non-School and Love and Relationships. You would be best to base your task on the former rather than the latter.
Thanks! That's a great idea. Although I will base my task on the latter, unfortunately, my teacher wants some of both types of language to be included, as though it were different people writing in their own unique way, instead of me pretending to be a group of different people for an assignment. Since I generally use high register (language) in nearly all situations, I find it difficult to genuinely express myself in slang form, or write as though I am someone else expressing themselves in slang form. Hence, this thread of discussion.

I am really thankful for the suggestion of surfing around though. Since it is really the language I'm looking at, and not the opinions expressed, any discussion is relevent. I've canvassed many opinions from people already, I just don't know how to express them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)