What do you bring to uni? (1 Viewer)

thisiswar

HSC
Hey guys :)
So uni starts next week for most of us and Im just wondering what would be the best thing(s) to bring to a lecture and tutorial. I know most are going to bring a laptop but mine is too big and heavy for me to be lugging it around. Is it possible to bring like an exercise book and just take notes? Or maybe folders with loose leafs? (Does anyone do that in uni?)

Also do we get sheets with notes given to us?

Sorry for being such a noob ><

thrillkiller

HSC
I'm just going to bring exercise books and take notes and maybe even a folder.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to bring a laptop, I've witnessed the opposite you've stated as not many people in my lectures have been bringing them (maybe 30% maximum). This is highly dependent on the faculty though.

The vast majority of people use a pen and paper from experience, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Lectures notes are often uploaded by the lecturer onto your university's respective online system (e.g. eLearning at USYD). It is your own responsibility to download, print and then bring them to class if you feel it's necessary.

thisiswar

HSC
Well some of my friends type faster than they write so they bring laptops :)

So how about textbooks? Are they just for reference at home or do we have to bring them to the lecture everytime? (seeing as the lecturer already has notes..)

And do u bring the lecture notes to the tutorials? =S

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well some of my friends type faster than they write so they bring laptops :)

So how about textbooks? Are they just for reference at home or do we have to bring them to the lecture everytime? (seeing as the lecturer already has notes..)

And do u bring the lecture notes to the tutorials? =S
Textbooks to lectures - No.
Lectures Notes to tutorials - If relevant, yes. I tend to bring my textbook in these cases.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Generally pen and paper is all you need for lectures, you may need your textbook for tuts since some questions may come out of there. Personally I take my netbook to rewrite lecture notes if I have a break because my handwriting is horrible when in a rush. But if you're in subjects that are just writing then a laptop may be a better option. I use my netbook for psych but everything else I have potential for formulas/diagrams.

thisiswar

HSC
Oh ok thanks for the advice :)

Are the lecture notes that the lecturer uploads online exactly the same as the actual lecture? So if u miss something during the lecture u can just go online and look for it?

izzy88

HSC
Oh ok thanks for the advice :)

Are the lecture notes that the lecturer uploads online exactly the same as the actual lecture? So if u miss something during the lecture u can just go online and look for it?
im my experience (every lecturer is different), lecture notes are more likely to be one page dot points or extracts of quotes or cases etc. It will give you an idea of what the lecture included, but it is unlikely to give you all the specific information that was given. It is not just a copy of a speech.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I dunno about other universities but pretty much all the lecturers at UNE upload the lecture onto the Internet,(Une being Moodle) which includes the whole lecture, so their voice and the lecture slides as the people in the lecture hall saw it.

izzy88

HSC
I dunno about other universities but pretty much all the lecturers at UNE upload the lecture onto the Internet,(Une being Moodle) which includes the whole lecture, so their voice and the lecture slides as the people in the lecture hall saw it.
To be honest I don't think this is the norm at most universities. UNE has the majority of its students studying externally, so most of the content/the lecture is posted online for those students who don't physically attend class (which to my knowledge can be around 75% of the student studying the subject). However most universities don't do this to the same extent as they don't necessarily offer the courses online, and lecturers want students to attend class. It tends to be up to the individual lecturer (at USYD in any case), as to whether they record the lecture, or how much they post online.

I had a law lecturer a couple of years ago that used overhead slides (not even powerpoint lol) stacked with information and didn't put them online at all. It was just a race to see how much you could get down in the class.

HSC
Ditto with the majority -bring notepad and pen. However I am bringing my netbook with me so I can have the notes/lecture slides right in front of me without having to print them out. When I looked at all the paper I was using for printing out all my lecture material, it was a massive stack of paper. Plus, with using the netbook, ctrl+F is much easier of finding a specific term then going through the massive stack :p

As for sheets with notes - probably not. My lecturer the other day gave everyone the first lecture material on paper- but told us afterwards it's university policy not to print them out for students as they want to save paper/money etc. You'll probably be given worksheets/readings in tutorials though, or you may have to go buy those from the university bookshop.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
crayons and textas to draw shit while listening to lectures.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Same with Macquarie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)