What do you hate about law students? (1 Viewer)

circusmind

HSC
GinoIs said:
Law students go through life lifting up every rock under the sun to see all the fucking dull nooks and crannies which could exploit some fundamental flaws with society. Soon enough they'll marry some rich geek, have a couple of kids, ask for a BMW & Audi, divorce him and milk all the fucking money they can. They'll find some stupid rock with some flaw and work out a way to claim 90% of his income just because the smart slut had kids with him - Yet he won't be seeing them ever again.

All you Law students are arrogant tossers who kiss arse from high-powered people yet make sure all the fucks lower than you suck your dicks.
Don't know what an Arrogant Tosser is?

The pretentious fucks think they're top shit yet everyday they complain about the work-load, how they can't go out and party and socialize.

Bloody scums of humanity. Go sue your drycleaners for losing you're 50cent suit.
Tell us what you really think.

That is actually incorrect, doctors can NOT be negligent at all. A cardiothoracic surgeon was once sued $8 million , here in Australia because he did an incorrect procedure during open heart surgery.
Umm....the first half of your post directly contradicts the second. Doctors certainly can be held negligent, and often are. I saw a case in the Supreme Court about it recently, actually.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Law students always seem to have this bizarre competitive streak to the point where if you did well in a particular subject they'll badger you for your "secret techniques". There are always secret techniques, because clearly you didn't get that mark through luck or just learning the coursework... you got it by ignoring certain areas, doing extra research in these journals, finding these books, getting this person's summary etc....

I don't hate that, to be honest... seeing that attitude in first years is actually cute in a, "you're becoming a true law student, how funny" kind of way.

Anyway, my pet peeves are:

1) Laptops in class. I shouldn't care, but I do. I hate the constant white noise of typing that occurs in law lectures. Learn to use a pen guys, you don't need to take down the lecturer's every word.

2) People who've clerked and consequently know everything about the law. The same goes for people who think that they're James fucking Bond because they worked in a Government Department and had to get cleared by security to get the job.

3) Loudmouths in assessable tutorials who think that they need to shout everyone else down to ensure that they get the maximum mark. The kind who ask questions when they know the answer, turn questions into statements just to say something or lecture the lecturer.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Cant you just casually study law and not exhibit any of these stereotypical qualities? I mean, i havent found any point raised so far which near depicts the qualities of me or my mates. Half us law students want to pursue careers in different fields and way and just find our law degree to be a useful complement to our other degree- ie commerce.

To that bloke whinging and crying above- either

a) ur a troll

b) u were raped by a lawyer

c) ur jealous of the legal profession in general as you couldnt cut it. The reason from this doesnt stem from a passion in law but rather as Frigid pointed out- ur getting sick of being on the ground suckin dick rather sitting back in a comfortable chair, dusting of your $5000 Amarni suit and recieving it.

Dust.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Cant you just casually study law and not exhibit any of these stereotypical qualities? I mean, i havent found any point raised so far which near depicts the qualities of me or my mates. Half us law students want to pursue careers in different fields and way and just find our law degree to be a useful complement to our other degree- ie commerce.

To that bloke whinging and crying above- either

a) ur a troll

b) u were raped by a lawyer

c) ur jealous of the legal profession in general as you couldnt cut it. The reason from this doesnt stem from a passion in law but rather as Frigid pointed out- ur getting sick of being on the ground suckin dick rather sitting back in a comfortable chair, dusting of your $5000 Amarni suit and recieving it.

Dust.
Its Armani.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
GinoIs said:
Law students go through life lifting up every rock under the sun to see all the fucking dull nooks and crannies which could exploit some fundamental flaws with society. Soon enough they'll marry some rich geek, have a couple of kids, ask for a BMW & Audi, divorce him and milk all the fucking money they can. They'll find some stupid rock with some flaw and work out a way to claim 90% of his income just because the smart slut had kids with him - Yet he won't be seeing them ever again.

All you Law students are arrogant tossers who kiss arse from high-powered people yet make sure all the fucks lower than you suck your dicks.
Don't know what an Arrogant Tosser is?

The pretentious fucks think they're top shit yet everyday they complain about the work-load, how they can't go out and party and socialize.

Bloody scums of humanity. Go sue your drycleaners for losing you're 50cent suit.
The best bit about this is that you work at a petrol station. Suck it, indeed.

travelfish

HSC
Funnily enough, a lot of the traits that people don't like in law students (read: the personality traits that cause a lot of the behaviour mentioned in this thread: competitiveness, insecurity, egoism and so forth) are exhibited to the same degree in practising lawyers. So there isn't really much of an escape, unfortunately.

subdued123

HSC
yo people.

1. This post proved itself
What started as a light hearted jab at ourselves turned into (you guessed it) some legal debate with discussions on law vs justice, tort of negligence and professional misconduct. No wonder we get a bad rap. We've got to learn to laugh at ourselves - that is an important life skill, not just a legal one.

2. JackMurray
Someone asked if you were a first year. Is that true? I am beginning to wonder if you speak out of your depth. It is dangerous for people starting out to make such grand pronouncements of wankery. I am in the latter stages of law now, and I have actually been taught that yes, there is a difference between justice and law. It was Lincoln who said "You must remember some things legally right are not morally right." Only an idealist (or a fool) would conflate the two.

3. the troll comment
I ignored that comment by GinoIs because they used "you're" at the very end wrong. That's all I care about as a cold-hearted law person who sues drycleaners. However, as to the point about being raped by lawyers, lawyers don't rape people, they just send them bills.

4. this was a post about law students
Not lawyers.

Last edited:

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
neo o said:
1) Laptops in class. I shouldn't care, but I do. I hate the constant white noise of typing that occurs in law lectures. Learn to use a pen guys, you don't need to take down the lecturer's every word.
Something like 90% of our class uses them, so there's not really any escape. I do too, actually, because my hand writing's shit and my hand gets sore otherwise, but I at least don't bang down on the keys and make it noisy. One guy does, making an awful clatter, and I totally understand why that would drive you insane :\

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
So I herd you guys rip pages out of the law books in libraries to stop other students from getting at the info they need?
that is true. i thought it was absolute rubbish. until i picked up a law report and the landmark case i was looking for had been torn out. there were scathing messages of insult on the adjacent pages to whoever was responsible. it's just unconscionable.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
Frigid said:
i hate it how everyone is too smart and no matter how hard you try, there's always another five guys and ten girls between you and that elusive high distinction/clerkship place/spot in an external moot team.

my learned friends, i hate you all. :bomb:
question: if you've been selected for a spot in an external moot team (one which is not as schmick as jessup), does this give you a good chance of getting a clerkship even if your marks are plain average?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
MichaelJackson2 said:
question: if you've been selected for a spot in an external moot team (one which is not as schmick as jessup), does this give you a good chance of getting a clerkship even if your marks are plain average?
Eh, I doubt it'd hurt.

subdued123

HSC
There's no yes/no answer.

The story at the end of the day is whether or not you interview well. If your marks are below 65 average, i don't think it'd matter which moot you did.

There's no hard and set rule for clerkships.

GinoIs

HSC
hfis said:
The best bit about this is that you work at a petrol station. Suck it, indeed.
Ah yea... Part-time job while doing uni. I don't scab off my parents or claim centerlink money.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
The law faculty have either the most modern facilities if not traditional with class and even the most easily accessible convenience such as microwaves and even their own library.
Engineering students have to linger around in factory style labs and it's understandable we have fairly big HECS debts because of all the equipment and machinery but law students?
Or is that why law students have the biggest HECS debts around because of all the prestige?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Or is that why law students have the biggest HECS debts around because of all the prestige?
Its because we have one of the highest earning potential. Its not because we require many resources but because we are most likely to earn more. What we require is pretty much the same as Arts students but they are likely to earn less. The problem is though, at least at Mac money is sucked out of the law faculty any time it is needed elsewhere.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
melsc said:
Its because we have one of the highest earning potential. Its not because we require many resources but because we are most likely to earn more. What we require is pretty much the same as Arts students but they are likely to earn less. The problem is though, at least at Mac money is sucked out of the law faculty any time it is needed elsewhere.
Not to mention the UAI cut-off which is extremely high, is it the demand once again or another exaggeration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)