What do you think is better? (1 Viewer)

Jay-k-bee1

HSC
Hi guys, just want some peoples thoughts on this, but what do you find better... doing past paper questions after thoroughly studying your notes? or completing past paper questions as you go along with studying your notes?
Any advice on doing past paper questions and studying notes would be appreciated :)

M

MichelleV

For Bio and Ancient, I found studying my notes really helped.

Once I was fairly confident I knew my stuff, I managed to get a hold of as many past papers and practice questions in the HSC style and worked through them all. (But never do them all at once. Start with older papers and work your way through to the most recent. Don't rush through them in one day, spread it over 4-5 weeks prior to the HSC. If you can, work through each paper as though your in the exam, so 3 hours at a time.)

Where I made mistakes I would go an review more, and where I had consistently done well, I wouldn't focus on as much. Then as I did more papers, I became more confident in my writing and knowledge of my topics.

Knowing your content is extremely important, but can only get you so far. With Ancient in particular, to get a higher mark you need to be able to construct your written answers well. So being familiar with the style of questions and what is expected of your answers can also help you.

Personally, I found a combination of both revising my notes and doing past papers was essential to achieving the marks I got in both Bio and Ancient.

Hope that helps :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing some past questions for the topic you are currently doing helps. Othewise, studying your notes and improving them by comparing with other notes such as state ranking notes etc would do great.

Personally, in Physics/Chemisty and sometimes even English, I don't bother writing a lot notes but rather, read them from state rank notes or high Band 6 (95+) notes, understand the concepts behind the topic then look through past papers and see if you could answer them - it's like making a plan in your mind.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
i personally do the first method of having my notes prepared throughout the term and then doing past papers the week before exams. but the second method is better if you can handle the workload of doing both at the same time which i cannot do but i feel my method is working so far

asdfqwerty

HSC
I tend to do past questions after making my notes but for the first 2-3 papers, I let myself cheat and use my notes along with me for guidance if I am stuck. But afterwards, I start applying my knowledge that I obtained and retained from using my notes. To me, its a psychological thing where if I am stuck on a question and I look at my notes for the answer, I really grasp the concept and realise whats happening etc. so the information I read sticks in my mind more longer.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Doing some past questions for the topic you are currently doing helps. Othewise, studying your notes and improving them by comparing with other notes such as state ranking notes etc would do great.

Personally, in Physics/Chemisty and sometimes even English, I don't bother writing a lot notes but rather, read them from state rank notes or high Band 6 (95+) notes, understand the concepts behind the topic then look through past papers and see if you could answer them - it's like making a plan in your mind.
This. This, this, THIS.

someth1ng will do well =]

editav

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys, just want some peoples thoughts on this, but what do you find better... doing past paper questions after thoroughly studying your notes? or completing past paper questions as you go along with studying your notes?
Any advice on doing past paper questions and studying notes would be appreciated :)
Definitely studying your notes first :)
Also make essays for major themes and get your teacher to mark them!
(I did this for Ancient)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)