What do you think is the hardest science? (1 Viewer)

Liv1712

HSC
Purely because I'm not science-orientated at all, (and yet made the mistake of picking it -.-), I would have to say Chemistry. Or Physics.

Also, is PDHPE hypothetically a branch of science? :/

MilkDrinker

HSC
I disagree, I consider Chemistry (calculations and memorisation) easier than Physics (lots of understanding and some calculations), and biology is in a group of its own (when I did it for prelim, found it to have soooo much theory and barely and and calculations, but then again I didn't like it much due to excessive plant knowledge and little human or animal knowledge).
Thats just my thoughts on the matter,
cya

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
There is no debate that chem and phys are the top 2. How you order the top two is personal preference imo. I'd probably say chemistry is slightly harder but there isn't much in it.

albertcamus

HSC
I reckon easily Chem/Phys - Chem hardest for exam technique/answer perfection, Phys hardest for actual theory difficulty.

And nah PDHPE isn't a science LOL

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
If you do a sufficient level of maths Physics 'understanding' becomes quite easy because the calculations and such are all really simple, from then on you need to know all about bs things like how rockets work and appliances etc etc. which is a lot easier compared to Chemistry (at least for me).

So I would say that Chemistry is harder for me.

Liv1712

HSC
I have little patience with both maths and science, so I suppose I have a disadvantage there >.> So Bio obviously isn't as hard as Chem and Physics? I've never taken it, so I wouldn't know xD

albertcamus

HSC
If you do a sufficient level of maths Physics 'understanding' becomes quite easy because the calculations and such are all really simple, from then on you need to know all about bs things like how rockets work and appliances etc etc. which is a lot easier compared to Chemistry (at least for me).

So I would say that Chemistry is harder for me.
A few of my friends find the motors and generators topic pretty difficult, just understanding some of the stuff conceptually is hard for them and they're completely fine with maths (some do 4U), so I don't think the Physics 'understanding' simply comes down to calculations and such.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
A few of my friends find the motors and generators topic pretty difficult, just understanding some of the stuff conceptually is hard for them and they're completely fine with maths (some do 4U), so I don't think the Physics 'understanding' simply comes down to calculations and such.
Of course, understanding Physics is a lot more than knowing how to calculate stuff, but at least for me, knowing what rates of change are and calculus, really helps in my understanding of Physics concepts, even in Motors.
I think the hardest part of Motors may be Back EMF, but I think that's it and even then Back EMF isn't hard.

And I'm not proposing reasons why Physics is always an easier course for everyone, I'm just saying that I reckon that Chemistry is harder for me, I'm not trying to generalize anything.

heatherfeather

HSC
This question depends on what type of learner you are. For me, physics is the hardest. It requires understanding, application and calculation. If you aren't so great with memorising then you would say bio ( I don't personally do this subject). Chemistry to me is largely content based with a few equations and processes along the way. It does have calculations but they are fairly simple.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I found them about equal in difficulty but at tertiary level, physics is MUCH, MUCH harder.

albertcamus

HSC
Of course, understanding Physics is a lot more than knowing how to calculate stuff, but at least for me, knowing what rates of change are and calculus, really helps in my understanding of Physics concepts, even in Motors.
I think the hardest part of Motors may be Back EMF, but I think that's it and even then Back EMF isn't hard.

And I'm not proposing reasons why Physics is always an easier course for everyone, I'm just saying that I reckon that Chemistry is harder for me, I'm not trying to generalize anything.
Yep yep, fair enough.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
'Hardness' varies between people tbh.

For example, a person who isn't committed to memorising stuff will find it difficult to do Biology.
A person who lacks understanding of the science 'principles' would probably struggle in Physics more so than in Biology.

From what I hear from others, one can probably say:

Biology has the most memorising.
Physics requires the most understanding.

Then Chemistry comes in between perhaps?

At my school, around 100+ kids do Physics. Only around 15~ get a b6.
While in Chemistry, around 60-80 kids.... yet 25~ get a b6.

Even though I only do Physics, I think that Physics is probably the hardest one. (but even so, by a small margin)

HSC
N/A
HSC sciences are a joke. The only good HSC subjects are maths extensions but I wish it covered matrices and linear algebra as these are very important in university maths. There is a lot of focus on calculus, which is great, but linear algebra is important too.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

tbh, I'd think that 2U students (perhaps even General if they really know their Physics) should be absolutely fine with this section anyways.

But yeah, helps to an extent.

This question depends on what type of learner you are. For me, physics is the hardest. It requires understanding, application and calculation. If you aren't so great with memorising then you would say bio ( I don't personally do this subject). Chemistry to me is largely content based with a few equations and processes along the way. It does have calculations but they are fairly simple.
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I did both bio and chem

For some unknown reason, I found bio more difficult than chem!

HSC
N/A
I did both bio and chem

For some unknown reason, I found bio more difficult than chem!
I do all three sciences, I think HSC bio is more difficult than chem. There is just too much content in bio and a lot of memorisation is required making it very time consuming.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
See I am the complete opposite,

HSC chemistry was by far way harder than HSC bio for me-but that really tied down to interest and aptitude.

It really will always depend on your strengths and aptitudes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)