What Do You Think Of This? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey

One of the teachers at our school said that they send in lower internal marks becuase it will help the student if they achieve a hgher external exam mark.

Do you think they should be doing that?

I know really that ranking also plays an important role in the final outcome but what do you think of this in general.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
slowjam10 said:
Hey

One of the teachers at our school said that they send in lower internal marks becuase it will help the student if they achieve a hgher external exam mark.

Do you think they should be doing that?

I know really that ranking also plays an important role in the final outcome but what do you think of this in general.
So long as they do not change the rank order and the relative differences between students marks, there is no effect. i.e. if they just slide the marks and/or stretch them, then there is no affect (except the error that will be created due to the new rounding, but that is minimal.)

Other wise, the school should not be doing this. If they say they are, then at the end of the year, request a school review, then subsequent bos external review, if you still feel that what they have done is against the rules, or should not have been done.

Are you sure this is exactly what the school said? Because its unclear what you mean by "they send in lower internal marks".

ccc123

HSC
me121 said:
So long as they do not change the rank order and the relative differences between students marks, there is no effect. i.e. if they just slide the marks and/or stretch them, then there is no affect (except the error that will be created due to the new rounding, but that is minimal.)

Other wise, the school should not be doing this. If they say they are, then at the end of the year, request a school review, then subsequent bos external review, if you still feel that what they have done is against the rules, or should not have been done.

Are you sure this is exactly what the school said? Because its unclear what you mean by "they send in lower internal marks".
True this. It wouldn't really make any difference, unless they change the rank order or mark difefrence between rank orders (which they wouldn't do)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
ccc123 said:
True this. It wouldn't really make any difference, unless they change the rank order or mark difefrence between rank orders (which they wouldn't do)
you never know what the school does behind their closed doors, they could send in entrirelly whatever marks the want, so long as the ranks are fairly consistent, and no one would ever know. i still prey for a transparent system, but they (the Board) seem reluctant to change to that.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
How would it make no difference.

If a set of scores were say 95, 86, 70 and 50

and the changed them too

90 81 65 and 45

same difference, and they each got 90 in the external, this would make a huge differece 2-5 marks?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
risole91 said:
How would it make no difference.

If a set of scores were say 95, 86, 70 and 50

and the changed them too

90 81 65 and 45

same difference, and they each got 90 in the external, this would make a huge differece 2-5 marks?
I haven't got the time to check the calcs, but it will affect the moderation of school assessment marks, if and only if, the marks are changed in a way that does not preserve the relative differences between marks (in simple terms, this means you can stretch and translate the group of marks, but not move individual marks, sorry I'm not quite sure if my statistical language is correct.).

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
me121 said:
I haven't got the time to check the calcs, but it will affect the moderation of school assessment marks, if and only if, the marks are changed in a way that does not preserve the relative differences between marks (in simple terms, this means you can stretch and translate the group of marks, but not move individual marks, sorry I'm not quite sure if my statistical language is correct.).
you are probably right, im just not sure i understand how.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)