What do you use? (1 Viewer)

moffie_bottom

HSC
For uni, do you use a laptop, or regular folders and such?

Pros/Cons of either?

I'm thinking of buying a laptop (first and foremostly for peace and total ownership of a computer, no fighting the family for it :p) that might be good to use for university. I'm thinking of buying off ebay because it's nifty and you can get some really awesome deals from certified sellers, ones that are brand new, for well under $2000.

Any recommendations? (I was going to post this in the IT forums, but everything there looked super-technical and a bit overwhelming...)

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Laptop + 1 notebook for me.
Laptop to procrastinate, go online, play games, keep lecture pdfs, reports, etc
Notebook to record notes in. This session I used two books for a few subjects.

gman03

HSC
Suppose you do Acturial Studies, you could do your oracle assignment in the cafeteria with your coffee.

Suppose you do Computing, then you could do your Haskell assignment outside the library, enjoy the band and sunshine.

Suppose you do Arts, you could type up your essay with your friends and then print it off in the Union Shop.

Suppose you do Science, you could prepare your lab report and bring it to the lab.

Suppose you do Law, then after you lost your Laptop you could practise suing someone.

Suppose you have nothing to do, you could rack up MSN and chat with your girls.

Suppose I speak too much]

sunny

meh.
HSC
This question tends to come up at the start of every year, if you have a search you'll basically find yourself asking what gman is saying.

For all you know you might not even need a laptop and find paper more efficient.

moffie_bottom said:
(I was going to post this in the IT forums, but everything there looked super-technical and a bit overwhelming...)
Yes the simplest question turns into the biggest issues when those with views feel a need to show their stuff, instead of answering the question.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
moffie_bottom said:
Any recommendations? (I was going to post this in the IT forums, but everything there looked super-technical and a bit overwhelming...)
yes, main reason why i stay out of there these days, people 'think' they know what they are talking about....but is just copy and paste from some other website or just some made up crap which is totally wrong because they heard it from somewhere...

anyways, buy an apple, they seems to be the 'IN thing' at the moment
they aren't bad for the size, if you plan on taking to uni and with the student discount, they are tempting
if you want more for powerful, gaming wise which i doubt you are, can look at dell, but they are generally bulky
dell have some massive savings sometimes, usually 20% off at the end of each month, especially with the coming christmas shopping season

elfm

HSC
A laptop isn't really necessary... unless ofcourse you hook it up to the net. But then no work gets done :p

Buy a laptop from either dell, tpg, apple, toshiba, <insert cool japanese brand here> or ibm. If you don't need a 17" screen, get a 15" one to save space and make it lighter for carrying around. Believe me, you'll notice the difference of 1 or 2kgs less in your hands when you're carrying a laptop around all day.

Dell had a $1000 off sale last year during december/january, just hope they'll have another one :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
$1000 off...? Fuck me I'll buy one just fo the sake of havin one.

But then again, I don't need it...

Lundy

Banned
HSC
A laptop might be handy, but it's not really necessary. I rarely see people using them in lectures, it seems most people just use paper.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
people with laptop dont seem to use them on lectures. The ones that do seems to use it to watch movies and play games, distracting people beyond.

But, if I get one, i'd probably be one of those people who distracts others too.. or do the next assignment in advance (specs gotten from recon ;) )

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Hey there, I'm using books.. and I can't even finish one 96pg a4 book per subject!!

Ain't I studious?

then again.. I do commerce :p

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I only have 1 book for everything. And it's just full of random scribble. I get lecture notes off the internet and put them on my laptop. But I don't often take my laptop to lectures since I don't write anything in lectures I just randomly scribble in my book.

X

xeuyrawp

I used folders last sem with lose-leaf paper.

At the end, I was shitty with all the copious amounts of paper flying around my life, so I switched to normal books this sem. One for each subject, and I just stick my print-offs in the front cover.

gman03

HSC
I had problems reading my handwritings if I don't revisit them again within say 3 days. What I do is like take scrap paper in, writing it and then go home and type it up. Having a laptop would save me the scrap paper step.

Things might get better with online lecture notes.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Write down notes all in one book. Take the book home. Rip out pages and put them in different folders ($2.00 from that shop in Upper Campus). Saves you having to carry around all this stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)