WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THIS FORUM? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah ok, I'm a mod, what can I do?

Right, you all know now.

I asked to become mod because I noticed that as soon as the exams disappeared, so did most of you guys. Obviously the forum has become less useful.

Is there something specific you guys want from the forum?

I've tried to rejuvenate it by sticking a resources thread, but we need more contributions. I'm working on getting some resources on the main site as well, but we desperately need all your papers (not just mine!)

So, yeah, come back and ask questions. We don't want to turn into another Spanish now do we?

One other thing: Yeah, I know I hit a little hard in the Japanese in Uni thread, but I'm serious about privacy. If you mention names (except mine, because you all know it now :)) or talk about their personal lives/problems/etc without their permission, I will move to cut it immediately. Please don't breach people's privacy like that, it does nothing to further the reputation or usefulness of the site, and it just starts Spam Wars (as seen in NS)

Last edited:

kouri

well w t f
HSC
start talking in japanese. practice! somewhere...

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
maybe put some more practice writing exams on the site. last time i checked there wasnt any and i know we can get them from the board site but i think theyre a bit old and we all know them by heart. maybe some people have new ones? with answers?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by frodo
maybe put some more practice writing exams on the site. last time i checked there wasnt any and i know we can get them from the board site but i think theyre a bit old and we all know them by heart. maybe some people have new ones? with answers?
I can only put up what you guys send me! I have opened a new thread for questions though, and as soon as I dig out my own list from my archive and post them I'll set it to sticky so you guys can contribute as well.

Originally posted by jogloran
I wish real Japanese encoding would work here.
Blame VBulletin. Of course, if you really want to show the other users a particularly interesting Kanji or something, you can now upload an image :p

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
i like the middle kanji in the days .... like douyoubi and mokuyoubi .............

but anyway.

start an all japanese thread :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by moogle
i like the middle kanji in the days .... like douyoubi and mokuyoubi .............

but anyway.

start an all japanese thread :p
I think it's been tried, but it's too hard to implement because
a) Vbulletin won't encode the characters properly, and so we have to use romaji (NOT good)
b) This forum is just "Japanese", without distinction between levels (continuers, extension, beginners, prelim etc). Basically, there are too many people from different courses, and it wouldn't be fair to the people of lower proficiency...

Of course, if you think it can be done effectively, I'd be glad to promote it :)

EDIT: Just to be helpful, Saturday is "doyoubi", not "douyoubi". Remember that! :)

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
whoops :p

i forget hiragana when i write kanji. and kanji when i write hiragana =)

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
my sister did latin for a while ...

she told me it sucks :p

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
Originally posted by moogle
my sister did latin for a while ...

she told me it sucks :p
most of the times... ppls dont do it long enuf to appreciate it...

wheres ur sister frm? PLC? syd gals?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by rukawasan
japenese sux... do latin... hehe
Actually I very much like latin, it's a beautifully complex and intrigiung language.

Originally posted by rukawasan
most of the times... ppls dont do it long enuf to appreciate it...
That's very true. People get so frustrated in the early months because of all the conjugations and grammatical rules et cetera, but all languages have these kinds of difficulties. It's important to stick with a language until you understand the core, that's when you should be able to tell if you really like a language or not.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
did you guys get the standards package?
i have some stuff from the last year one i think........

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by luigi
did you guys get the standards package?
i have some stuff from the last year one i think........
If you have broadband, uploading the SP would be a very nice gesture :)

That is to say, emailing it to one of the admins by clicking "SUBMIT NOTES" on the main site

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
i can MSN it to someone from this forum .. i have broadband.
all the admin (laz/fatmuscle) are too busy.. plus i emailed some Japanese stuff before and it never got put up.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by luigi
i can MSN it to someone from this forum .. i have broadband.
all the admin (laz/fatmuscle) are too busy.. plus i emailed some Japanese stuff before and it never got put up.
It's on its way up, don't worry.

Seriously though, last time I checked there were 600 files waiting for processing, and the mods are doing what we can. We still want more though, ok!

Originally posted by jogloran
Cough cough.. there is a one megabyte restriction on all attachments anyway.
Where does it say that? Maybe for hotmail outgoing files...but I don't think there's a restriction on incoming files.

EDIT: OH, I see what you mean. I didn't mean upload to the forum, that would be bandwidth murder! Email it to Laz or Tactic.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I want more Lexicographer

Just do a lot of practise questions and stuff together, like us Bio people :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)