• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What does an english tutor do? (1 Viewer)

Noobtron

HSC
Im just wondering what an english tutor does in Y11/12.

Do they help

What do they do

Are they worth it compared to a maths tutor?

cs01001

HSC
How can you compare an English to a maths tutor? That's a really n00b question...

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
I think for english it's worth getting an actual english teacher (even someone who has been an assessor in the past/is an assessor) as opposed to a student even if they are HD'ing their arts course/got fantastic results in english at school, just because a teacher would know exactly what is wanted/how to phrase it/etc.

They would basically be telling you ways to improve your writing - lack of quotes, not enough fluency, too verbose, whatever as well as give you some insights into your texts.

Whether they help, I don't know, though I'd say mine did. English is a hard subject to tutor...

woho

HSC
Yeh... good question! Does an english tutor just read your essays and tell you how to improve?

From a student's point of view, I've been offered a job to tutor someone in English after the HSC. I did very well in Advanced English in HSC Assessment marks (95%), but I really have no idea HOW to tutor English... anyone who's had/ currently got an english tutor care to shed some insight?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)