What does His Ext involve? (1 Viewer)

E

eling

i have a few questions about the subject
1. What type of things do they ask you in the exam?
2. how long must the major project be?
3. Do they give you a topic or is it like "go and research n back up with historgraphy"?

fanx

ZabZu

HSC
1. The exam is made up of two sections, both being essays
- the readings (facts about different historians) which must be related to an unknown source
- a case study (eg JFK)

2. The major work essay consists of 2500 words but it also consists of a process log, synopsis, annotated bibliography and a proposal

3. You make up your own topic for your major work

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Just to add to No.1 : It is not just about facts about historians. The entire process is an analysis of the evolving discipline of historiography.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
you do have to come up with your own topic (and thats the hardest bit i think!), but you have AGES to do it! and your teachers will try to help you with different suggestions if you get stuck. it would probably help though if there was a particular part of history, or an issue in history which you think you might like to cover - after all, if you hate the thing you're researching, then you probably won't do as good a job.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
its involves so much philosophy!
and you gotta learn a period of history as well. we do kennedy
its like two units its fucken hard

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
TurboTom said:
its involves so much philosophy!
and you gotta learn a period of history as well. we do kennedy
its like two units its fucken hard
you're an idiot, that's why its hard.
it must be noted that thomas spends time bitching and whinging about how the world could be so much better and that bias is a figment of our imagination..... that and picking on sarah for all her whinging and the way she makes us believe we actually have a chance to beat her.... and we never do.

1. What type of things do they ask you in the exam?
two essays. one on the case study (period in history according to thomas, which is not quite correct. the case study relates to an issue, event or personality in history that contains noteable amounts of debate on right or wrong) and one on historiography (the philosophy of history)

2. how long must the major project be?
less than or equal to 2750 words for the essay itself (if your teacher allows for the +10%... otherwise its 2500)
600 for the bibliographical evaluation
300 for the synopsis
'unlimited' for the process log (you wont need much space)
and 'unlimited' for the biliography (includes footnotes)

3. Do they give you a topic or is it like "go and research n back up with historgraphy"?
oh you get told what to do. our class was given a 'choice' of sorts, but our teacher ensured we all picked the same thing. either that he told us that the majority decided on JFK because he didnt like the other options... whichever.

the course is thorough, but extremely interesting. despite the noteable paper war you will have to endure and the reading and understanding you will have to do (as far as the case study is concerned this means reading 'facts' and comparing them with how the 'facts' are represented in other texts. in the historigraphy component, its philosophy).

like history? critical thinker? enjoy politics? enjoy thinking generally? enjoy being able to say i do an extension subject? have a lot of pride (or confidence even) in your own ability? if so, this course really is for you.

its not hard. tom lies a lot. (EDIT: he's also an idiot)

Plebeian

tWiStEdD said:
oh you get told what to do. our class was given a 'choice' of sorts, but our teacher ensured we all picked the same thing. either that he told us that the majority decided on JFK because he didnt like the other options... whichever.
I think eling was talking about the major work here, which you do get a choice in, as silvermoon said.

Also, people that are referring to the "philosophy" of history are correct I suppose, but they're making it sound a bit boring and waffly. The first section is basically about different ideas of what history is, based around themes such as the purpose of history, the influence of the historian's perspective, the ability of the present-day historian to find out the truth about the past, and the degree to which history is simply the ideology of the author. Overall it is very interesting if you enjoy history and want to go beyond just learning about facts, into learning about the study of history itself. Everything you learn in the first part is applied to both the in-class case study and your own research project.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
that and picking on sarah for all her whinging and the way she makes us believe we actually have a chance to beat her.... and we never do.
um..this doesnt have anything to do with me does it? I don't think so but I have to ask. lol

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
you're an idiot, that's why its hard.

its not hard. tom lies a lot. (EDIT: he's also an idiot)
WRONG! its is hard and to say that it is easy is arrogant...
it takes heaps of study, self research and an in depth analysis. something that i suck balls at which makes it hard.
its not my intellgence (or lack therof) that makes it hard.
and tim, just remember that you will never beat the amazing pharlap in any subject. ever.
pharlap is too fast for you. pharlap is too fast for anyone
neigh....

and i dont lie. i never lie. i tell nothing but the "truth". WHICH IS OBTAINABLE AND NOT A CONSTRUCT!!! ARRRGGGHHH
and no i dont think that bias doesnt exist, i just think that it is avoidable

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Sarah168 said:
um..this doesnt have anything to do with me does it? I don't think so but I have to ask. lol
nah sarah winkworth, aka pharlap
not you

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
pharlap is king
pharlap rips
no one will equal the oat munching godliness that is pharlap
NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH
ride strong young pony

winky36

leave me alone thomas!!! from ph

hoy guys, stop talking bout me on the net!!!!

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
pharlap is the best
strongest stride
she cannot lose
go pharlap do us proud and leave us behind in your wake
wooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

p.s some say that pharlap is past her best
i scoff at this she is only preparing for the last race
she will smoke us all!!!

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
holy fuck rebecca carter how the fuck are you? remember thomas stiller?
yeh thats me...
shit its been ages... what are you doing with yourself?

Ext History is an awsome subject. It alot of writing but it really is worth doing. i have really enjoyed it. As long as you put in the work and the effort you cant go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)