what dose law courses include? (1 Viewer)

nevmirza

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys,

Well, I’m currently in year 12 and have to put in my uni preferences soon. I’m looking at doing a law course, however what are the differences in work load in doing a double degree (eg biz ad min/law or just straight B law)

I was just wondering if anyone is doing this, what it includes is it interesting??? Is there a lot of reading to do???.

I’m not really familiar what subjects or topics this course includes.

Any help would be sooooooo much appreciated.

Also, are there any other recommendations of courses, if the field I want to participate in is lawyer/ solicitor?

Thanks for your time!

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
you can't do a single law degree at undergrad level, you have to combine it with something. if you want to do it by itself, you have to finish a degree, which will take you 3 years, then apply for graduate law, which is another 3 years.
naturally there's a lot of reading

em_516

bludging..
HSC
yeh i only know that there's a tonne of reading and you have to do moots and 24hr exams :eek:

before you dive into doing a law degree, you REALLY need to look at what you're getting yourself into..look at all the different courses you'll be required to do and the kind of workload you'll be getting..perhaps go to an open day? surely that's soon or something right? i don't know..but they're generally helpful..and maybe talk to your school's careers advisor and perhaps even the uni career advisors

samuel slack

HSC
Yeah I'm basically looking at a law/business degree. But, I probably won't get the marks to get into law straight outta high school. I'm thinking I should just do a business degree and... either work hard first year and transfer into law (how difficult would this be?) or just do the business degree then do the graduate law on top of this. What would people here recommend? And btw open day is this w/e, i'm heading up for a look. :)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
samuel slack said:
Yeah I'm basically looking at a law/business degree. But, I probably won't get the marks to get into law straight outta high school. I'm thinking I should just do a business degree and... either work hard first year and transfer into law (how difficult would this be?) or just do the business degree then do the graduate law on top of this. What would people here recommend? And btw open day is this w/e, i'm heading up for a look. :)
i have almost zero knowledge of this sort of thing except i hear it is easier to transfer after a year than to get the required uai..that said, you should still be putting b law/b business as your first preference

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Definitely go for Business and then transfer, if you can. Getting reasonably good marks (credit average, perhaps) should allow you to transfer.

em_516 said:
yeh i only know that there's a tonne of reading and you have to do moots and 24hr exams :eek:
The moots can be fun, but yeah.. the 24 hour exams can leave you feeling a little dead inside.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
again, with no experience of my own, i've been told the 24hr exams aren't THAT bad..obviously, they're not fun or anything, but yes, apparently they are manageable :)

samuel slack

HSC
Lol. Fair enough. Not THAT bad. great way to talk someone into taking a course. :p Nah i'm pretty keen to do it... even if i have to handle insane exams. Now if i could just force myself to study for the exams coming up in a few weeks. ARGH!! laziness. -.-

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
samuel slack said:
Lol. Fair enough. Not THAT bad.
I would honestly put them on par with normal (3 hour) exams. It's entirely subjective, though, just like the idea that some people (i.e., me) prefer closed book exams to open book exams.

samuel slack

HSC
Ok. So if I was to get in first year, what sort of hours would i be looking at putting in each week?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
samuel slack said:
Ok. So if I was to get in first year, what sort of hours would i be looking at putting in each week?
Completely depends on what you combine Law with. I combined with Science, and I was looking at ~23 hours per week in first year. If you do Business/Law, you're looking at ~18 contact hours per week in the first semester. Judging by this year's timetable, you'd get no days off (that's pretty normal for the first three years of Law).

You're supposed to also study at home for the same amount of contact hours you have. So you'd be looking at putting in a minimum of 40 hours per week just for Uni. It's not easy, but it's certainly doable with or without a part-time job.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)