Votes: 27 56.3%
  • The Excel

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Others!

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

M-THIS

hey guyz...

Just wondering what Eco text book you use?

cause i use the 'updated Economics' ones and i recon they are crap!

i took a look at the tim dixion one, and they seem heaps better, And what is CONCERNING is that they both cover completely different things under the same headings!

Anyone in the same boat?

What text DO YOU use?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
we use Year 12 Economics 2003 by Tim Riley.. its pretty detailed and good, but hard to read..

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
I use Dixon and i hate it... Its not a good example of the needed language to be used in exams. Bulmer i think sets a better example, but the best would be economic papers released by the government, RBA or financial institutions.

M-THIS

yeah? do you think that dixon is too basic?

Blumer, goes around in circles, it's got mistakes in it, the titles are all mucked up... and i not sure about the ideas, it maybe non-syllabus based! seems so unofficial...

dixon is set out nicely! conveys the ideas logically! easy to read

is a roflcopter
HSC
riley and bulmer

bulmer is good
makes my essay band 6

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I got Band 6 last yr using a combination of Dixon, Bulmer and Buultjens (Excel)

The best advice I can give u is to use them in combination, NEVER treat each seperately. If used properly, they compliment each other nicely

alman

i think that the best thing is to read all these things with an open mind and see wot u understand the best..as warren buffet calls it - your "circle of competence"..u need to be able 2 digest the info..no matter how difficult the stuff is...thats they way i do..but then again, i have a very analytical and calculating mind..so yeh..go figure!

jayz

walking
The best economics textbook-UP TO DATE news articles
(i do realise u have to understand the concepts before the statistics)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
General recommendation - 1. Dixon and 2. Bulmer.
(Reilly textbook is aweful, IMO)

gnrlies

HSC
i use two....

tim riley and the dixon one...

Riley is good for a more in depth explanation which focuses more on knowing the stuff for extended responses etc. Its very boring though.

Dixon i like better becuase its well structured, to the point and easy to read.

Riley does have better depth though, and it also has better statistical information but personally i dont find that as good as having something thats clearly structured as dixon.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
ive got a copy of all 4: dixon, riley, bulmer and excel, plus some of those leading edge sample question booklets. my opinion is that none of them are really that good by themselves. riley is confusing sometimes, bulmer gets to technical, dixon is at times a little simple and brief, and excel is just like the whole huge ecos course in 50ppgs. i think u need at least 2 of them, just to complement each other, as well as keep urself updated with current stats and articles (gittins is good)

M-THIS

yeah! i use dixon, Blumer and excel...

Dixon is brief, i use it as a study guide. Blumer, my school text, is boring and often muddled up and confusing as well as techniqual. and excel is shit!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
u kno, the Excel book is ur best friend for the 2 hours before the exam...I crammed the whole book in the last 2 hours (it was in the afternoon last yr), just to reassure myself I guess...the stuff in that book is relevant to the short answer questions u'd get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)