What electives do you want to take? (1 Viewer)

orchiddreams

HSC
So what electives are you taking or thinking of taking at ANU?

This year I've got 2 electives. Currently I'm thinking of taking something interesting and not too stressful -- German (GERM1022) and Philosophy (PHIL1004) on top of my BFin and BActs courses.

:D:D:D

Shaybay92

HSC
I would really love to take some sort of Japanese language elective but I HAVE to take a 1000-series science elective for first term. Soooo I am doing Chemistry. I looked at the outline and I did all that stuff in high school.. but I guess theres nothing wrong with a refresher, and it might be more advanced stuff.... we'll see.

Andi0390

HSC
I did Phil1004 last year.

Jeremy (the lecturer) is pretty great, quite funny and friendly. His jokes are a bit "everyone groan in usion" style but he's nice. I had a really good tutor and tute group and we all used to sit around and have really good discussions with lots of contribution. I think its a great course.

Languages require lots of study I believe, and more face time than other courses. If you want something chilled a language probably isn't the way to go.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I did Phil1004 last year.

Jeremy (the lecturer) is pretty great, quite funny and friendly. His jokes are a bit "everyone groan in usion" style but he's nice. I had a really good tutor and tute group and we all used to sit around and have really good discussions with lots of contribution. I think its a great course.

Languages require lots of study I believe, and more face time than other courses. If you want something chilled a language probably isn't the way to go.
I did japanese as an elective in first year and it's probably been the most enjoyable course I've done. Really nice lecturers and tutors. Compared to my normal courses it did have a higher number of contact hours but I actually got alot of of them. Didn't ever have to go back to look at stuff cause I didn't get it in the lecture.

gingerwitch28

HSC
I planned all my electives/subjects before I even got an ANU offer (I'm a retard like that) and I'm hopefully (timetable trouble aside) doing an Aus History course (what is with the lack of first year History courses?) beginners German, intermediate Spanish (provided I pass the placement test) a couple of poli sci subjects (I'm an IR student.) Accom BS aside, really looking forward to starting uni.

vikraman

HSC
im planning to take PHIL1004 in addition to CHEM1101, PHYS1101 and MATH1013.
How's the workload for PHIL1004?

Andi0390

HSC
im planning to take PHIL1004 in addition to CHEM1101, PHYS1101 and MATH1013.
How's the workload for PHIL1004?
Not bad at all. There is no textbook - just a brick. The readings aren't too bad. You have 10% tutorial participation. Your first assessment (if its like previous years) is a 500 word exercise which requires little to no research. Just sort of thinking something out and describing and arguing your view. Then there is a library exercise (won't take you more than an hour), an essay and a test which was in-class essay style.

All in all pretty decent.

gingerwitch28

HSC
I planned all my electives/subjects before I even got an ANU offer (I'm a retard like that) and I'm hopefully (timetable trouble aside) doing an Aus History course (what is with the lack of first year History courses?) beginners German, intermediate Spanish (provided I pass the placement test) a couple of poli sci subjects (I'm an IR student.) Accom BS aside, really looking forward to starting uni.
Decided to give German a miss because apparently I'll have clashes with intermediate Spanish and Foundations of IR. Spanish is my priority anyway.

Although, is it just me, or is there like next to nothing in terms of first year Arts courses? History in particular, most of the stuff I wanna do isn't running! You're pretty much barred from doing second year courses in first year except for Languages right?

whatrandom

HSC
N/A
does anyone know anything about MATH1042? "Philosophy of the Cosmos" - is it as full on as it sounds?

tsin

HSC
N/A
i wanna do Mandarin.. i think i'll have to take da plcement test on 18 feb but then i'll hv to do my enrolment on 17.. so wt shud i do?!

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
i wanna do Mandarin.. i think i'll have to take da plcement test on 18 feb but then i'll hv to do my enrolment on 17.. so wt shud i do?!
You can change your subjects for up to 2 weeks into semester very easily, especially when classes haven't even started yet. Just enrol and change if need be...

dreamee

HSC
does anyone know anything about MATH1042? "Philosophy of the Cosmos" - is it as full on as it sounds?
Keep an open mind. I haven't done it myself. But someone who has told me that it was very different to what he expected. Not in a bad way: just different.

vikraman

HSC
Ended up taking ENVS1004, some geology 3rd year told me to take it, vaguely muttered something about it "being useful later".. so much for PHIL1004 :(

gingerwitch28

HSC
Ended up taking ENVS1004, some geology 3rd year told me to take it, vaguely muttered something about it "being useful later".. so much for PHIL1004 :(
I've decided - no, actually, I didn't decide, the timetable didn't leave me much choice - to tale PHIL1004. Exciting!

Shaybay92

HSC
I was going to take Chemistry 1 but have decided that is wasting an elective and am taking COMP1100 which is required later on anyway. Do we just have to change the course by dropping Chem then adding COMP on the ISIS enrolment thing? I already put in Chem1 but have changed my mind.

vikraman

HSC
I was going to take Chemistry 1 but have decided that is wasting an elective and am taking COMP1100 which is required later on anyway. Do we just have to change the course by dropping Chem then adding COMP on the ISIS enrolment thing? I already put in Chem1 but have changed my mind.
Yup.

@gingerwitch28 ooh exciting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)