What exactly does this course let you do?!?!? (1 Viewer)

m3.4..012

hm...
Okay, everyone always says "I wanna be in ___ or _____"
but yeah ^^;; I want to do Medical Science or something like that... but what exactly does this course let you do after you complete it? :confused:
:)mad1: I must sound like a moron... but yeah)
oh and if you do medical science... i heard you are suppose to do another course to major in because you can't just do medical science.:confused: wah?

er.. wait. did someone already post a thread like this?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
medical science are for those who didn't get into straight medicine, they are the students that want to be doctors but couldn't get into it the fastest way... no real point in this anyway to get into medicine you can have any degree under your belt and then do the exam and get in that way... however medical science parrallels somewhat to medicine and medical science students are usually the ones that do well in these UMAT exams (r they called? i don't know)

btw i have no idea what i'm talking about... im a business and psychology girl.... but i heard from a friend that failed to get into the straight medicine thing... so instead she's doing pharmacy at sydney

i think i'll let someone with more knowledge answer this

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think the medical students sit the gmat while yr 12 students who wanna get in2 med sit the umat..........

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I thought that if you had a med science degree you could also be involved in medical research type stuff or work in medical labs analyzing stuff and things like that?

Most people use it as a pathway in to medicine or pharmacy though.

MrA

Ppl in Year 12 do the UMAT to get into undergrad med...the GAMSAT is the exam to get into graduate med/dentistry...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
med sci usualli lets u further research into chemical & biological systems related to the human body..

they learn bout the systems and research into the interactions...
its like med without the ppl-touching-thing n interaction.. :)

a recommandation from my lecturers.. if u dun lik ppl and r in the med course do pathology.. dead ppl and cells dun complain or sue.. very indepth studies tho

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
a recommandation from my lecturers.. if u dun lik ppl and r in the med course do pathology.. dead ppl and cells dun complain or sue.. very indepth studies tho
Yep. I'm doing Medical Science at UOW... and I don't want to be a doctor. With this degree I'm thinking of doing pathology, or immunology or histology. Haven't decided and don't need to. Autopsy's would be cool. But yeh, I'll prolly just do blood/cell/tissue testing.

Then again I might end up doing something completely different. Who knows. :p

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by MiKeY
Yep. I'm doing Medical Science at UOW... and I don't want to be a doctor. With this degree I'm thinking of doing pathology, or immunology or histology. Haven't decided and don't need to. Autopsy's would be cool. But yeh, I'll prolly just do blood/cell/tissue testing.

Then again I might end up doing something completely different. Who knows. :p
wots histology?

Ribbon

My sister did medscience at USYD and said there was really not much in the way of job oppurtunities that are directly related to the degree... the main one was doing lab work, like testing samples and things like that, but there is appparently a TAFE course that gives you the same basic skills, the only difference being that med science teaches you WHY things work the way they do, and TAFE only teaches you the process of the testing...

There probably are more job opputunities but overall she wasn't that impressed with the degree (she was trying to transfer into vet but never got the marks)

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by Ribbon
There probably are more job opputunities but overall she wasn't that impressed with the degree (she was trying to transfer into vet but never got the marks)
What does she do now?

Ribbon

She works at Mitre 10 :D

She nearly got into a traineeship with the ambulance to be a driver/paramedic (they have like 5000 applications for about 20 position every year because it starts at 35k and has no prerequisites... obviously her degree and intelligence was what got her very very very short listed...) but after all the applications and interviews they decided to postpone the hiring of trainees (it is my understanding that alot of gov't business are restructring at the moment, which means no hiring..) and so she is stuck at mitre 10 until they will agree to take her...

MiKeY

HSC
I assume she's already looked for work in all the hospitals/clinics around her area?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)