what exactly is econometrics? (1 Viewer)

Sam91

HSC
hey im in year 12 this year. and after looking at a few places/unis econometrics appealed to me coz I like maths and economics :). i was just wondering wat it exactly is and what kind of jobs there are afterwards? also is it boring?
thx :)

akqjt

HSC
econometrics = statistics and shit
Statistics (turning raw data into 'information') applied to business - so the stock market, interest rate predictions etc

As to whether it's boring, I suggest you make a list of the degrees/majors you want to do then decide which you'll like most

HSC
N/A
Dont 'major' in it (without having done some economics)
Econometrics is just applying certain area's of statistics to economic/finance questions.
If you do economics you'll need to do 'econometrics', but if your only interested in the maths, do a major in applied maths/statistics.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Dont 'major' in it (without having done some economics)
Econometrics is just applying certain area's of statistics to economic/finance questions.
If you do economics you'll need to do 'econometrics', but if your only interested in the maths, do a major in applied maths/statistics.
Undergraduate economics is shit do maths.

Ryuuzaki

HSC
In math-speak, Econometrics is a subset of Statistics.

The difference being that Statistics covers a wider scope, and Econometrics only a small subsection.

Econometricians like to market themselves as being statisticians who use data that is sourced from real world data (e.g. macroeconomic indicators, stock prices, exchange rates, etc) where experiments cannot be performed (i.e. you can't change interest rates just to study its effect... you'll cause mayhem :p).

At the end of the day, Econometrics is for those who are moderate with Mathematics. If you're good at it, do a maths or stats degree.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Statistics > Econometrics
anyday :p

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
In math-speak, Econometrics is a subset of Statistics.

The difference being that Statistics covers a wider scope, and Econometrics only a small subsection.

Econometricians like to market themselves as being statisticians who use data that is sourced from real world data (e.g. macroeconomic indicators, stock prices, exchange rates, etc) where experiments cannot be performed (i.e. you can't change interest rates just to study its effect... you'll cause mayhem :p).

At the end of the day, Econometrics is for those who are moderate with Mathematics. If you're good at it, do a maths or stats degree.
Try doing some advanced econometrics courses or it at the masters level...it aint "moderate" maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)