What exacty did people right about for CRIME? (1 Viewer)

rabbitohs123

HSC
N/A
How did your brain process it?
Well I wrote about court jurisidiction, legal rep, adversary system, plea bargaining, & how the reliance on the courts can disadvantage some (those who dont pass the aid test)

shannan94

HSC
That there are alternatives to just the court in achieving justice i.e strict liability offences, circle sentencing for indigenous Australian's, youth justice conferencing etc

rabbitohs123

HSC
N/A
That there are alternatives to just the court in achieving justice i.e strict liability offences, circle sentencing for indigenous Australian's, youth justice conferencing etc
yah thought about alternative sentencing but didnt want to talk about it, didnt know enough tbh

wavess

HSC
I spoke about charge negotiation, and how the DPP decides on the agreement and not the judge.

Jigram

HSC
I did charge negotiation, the failed forum sentencing scheme, and how overall the courts are really the only means to properly achieve justice for all parties involved in the system for my first three paragraphs. Youth justice conferencing and strict liability offenders for my other two paragraphs. All up wrote six pages which is good for 15 marks. :) It was an awful question though.

CJS 99

HSC
Yeah easy. Court is not the only way in achieving justice. Talk about other options to court eg. Youth Justice Conferences and Formal Cautions and alternative punishments that achieve just outcomes without going to court eg. Criminal Infringement Notices and Cannabis Cautioning Scheme, achieving justice through reduced recidivism whilst freeing - police and court resources, without having to go to court.

Memento-mori

HSC
That justice can be achieved by legislation and other means. I referenced cases such as Skaf (with evidence- jury system), fines and Gordon Wood, the Aboriginal boy who got sent to jail for a stolen freddo frog, that really recent news story about that 10 year old boy who killed his father, doli incapax. I ended up using dot points, I was so desperate to just get everything out.

tara1794

HSC
Criminal Trial Process and talked about how the court system is the most suitable option in achieving justice for serious indictable offences such as murder and I talked about young offenders and how the law tries to keep young people out of the court system and I talked about diversionary programs.

wogboy23

HSC
Saw the question, would address it as follows:
-tarnishing the thesis, with the many flaws of the criminal trial process (charge/negotiation plea bargaining) - would bring about Legal aid (pros and cons), adversary system, Legal aid and then briefly on the sentences (also post-sentences eg. continued detention for sex offenders)- then STRESS the diversionary programs and rehabilitation schemes for young offenders to support the statement - as well as restorative justice and circle sentencing (brief)

emmkayyez

HSC
I talked about flaws of the courts ie. plea bargaining, and various other ways that can reduce an offender's sentence. I talked about the media and I talked about youth justice conferencing/programs

saints123

HSC
i said that courts have a role to play but so do police and parliaments in achieving justice

Dabzz

HSC
Hello there, would someone mind filling me in about what was in the Legal exam this year?? I'm in year 11 (just started yr 12) and I'm dying to know!! Thanks peeps.

cornchips1

HSC
police discretion in issuing fines, young offenders, the injecting room in kings cross linked it to an incline towards rehabilitation..

wogboy23

HSC
To what extent do courts achieve justice within the criminal justice system
Courts to a great extent achieve justice within the criminal justice system, evident within the investigation, trial and sentencing processes. However, while they do remain an integral part of the criminal justice system as a whole, there has been extensive criticism in relation to its processes and "time consuming nature" (P. Morgan), therefore prompting a heavy reliance on diversionary and rehabilitation programs.
The efficacy of courts within the criminal justice system is evident in the investigation process. This is highlighted by courts issuing warrants, indicative of legal documents giving the police power to do certain things, thereby reinforcing judicial safeguards with which to protect police abusing their discretionary power. The efficacy of courts is evident further by the allowance of subsidised services such as Legal Aid under the Legal Aid Commission Act 1979 (NSW), with which to prevent institutionalised inequality and improve the efficiency of the court system. While this does attempt to provide judicial justice, as evident in Dietrich v Queen (1992), many argue that its eligibility test of means and jurisdiction is too difficult, similarly to the prevention of justice argued against the adversary system claiming to have an unequal distribution of skills, knowledge and resources. Despite this, highlighted in R v Munster (2009), this effectiveness in achieving justice is heightened by its enshrinement of equity, where both parties can present their oral arguments and have evidence cross-examined, presided over by an independent, impartial arbiter (judge) evidenced by the esteemed Supreme Court Judge, Judge Latham.
Courts, whilst somewhat successful in a hierarchical sense but still too time consuming, are questionable in their sentencing, focusing more on the 'zero tolerance' model, with purposes of punishment focusing heavily on deterrent and incapacitation (which in CROC 1989 is established to be a 'last resort'), established further n the Law Enforcement and Police Responsibilities Act (2002). While some punishments such as incarceration and periodic detentions to "protect the community from harm of the offender" (Crimes Act 1900 (NSW)), the media's influence on courts do overtly challenge this provision of justice. This is accentuated in the case R v. Campbell (2010), where Justice Latham on a rare occasion allowed the media inside the courtroom which proclaimed the accused a "philanderer", thereby clouding the notion of 'open justice' as well as the maxim of "innocent till proven guilty" within the court trial and sentencing processes.
Post-sentencing considerations, furthermore, lessen the effectiveness of the court to a great extent achieving justice. This is detrimented by such post-sentencing considerations as preventative detention and continued detention for offenders that have already served their time, as well as those on the Sex Offenders Registration Act (2000) for two years. While the courts do attempt to exemplify equality and fairness, the tensions between community values, victims and offender are tarnished overall in terms of young offenders. This successfulness is statistically tarnished by a 60% rise in juvenile detention centres over the past six years as a result of court processes and decisions, along with more than half of these being of Indigenous descent. It is with this court inefficacy that leads to a more holistic support for diversionary programming and rehabilitations which find more than 72% of people do not rescind (habitually commit) crimes, evident by such programs as the Youth and Alcholol Program in Parramatta. Other diversionary programs, veering away from the rigidity and cost ineffectiveness of court is highlighted by circle sentencing and communal punishments for Aboriginals as well as restorative justice in disproving courts achieving justice on the whole within the criminal justice system.
Therefore, in essence, it is clear while courts to some extent achieve justice within the criminal system, 'grey areas' remain thus, with a greater focus needed on rehabilitation and diversionary programs within contemporary society.

Just a quick 20 minute type-up/

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
i spoke about international crime. without the courts there would be no justice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)