What happens if you go over the word limit? (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
ive decided i really dont like any of the questions for this assignment. i wish they were like, uber uber broad, so we could actually do the thinking for ourselves. considering how they narrow the topics down, PLUS franks little "advice" bits, it really takes the fun out of writing the essay. yuergh

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah its our "major" essay hahaha. im not saying im not thankful for its length however :D :D

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea i'll admit i usually go around about 15-20% over sometimes, and on the sheet i just write about 10% over the word limit...
They don't check usually, unless it's insanely long.

Demandred

HSC
Does these constitute as part of an the [edit]word count[/edit] essay?:

- Words detailing the source under a graph/table.
- Words in a table.

I have just submitted an essay which is set at approximately 1500 words, about 200 words were the above types. The main body (the words in paragraphs) is 1643.

Am I in trouble?

Last edited:

PublicUser

Banned
HSC
Yes. It is do, not does.

Other than that you are fine. If they give you any trouble make sure they remember who is paying their salaries.

Demandred

HSC
Not as part of essay, as part of word count. Sorry about that, was tired.

daniL

HSC
My psychology essay I handed in the other day was 550 words over the limit. Oops! :(

jellybeenz

HSC
daniL said:
My psychology essay I handed in the other day was 550 words over the limit. Oops! :(
Mine was about 200 words over the limit... I think most peoples was over the limit... I only wrote it was 100 over the limit on the coversheet tho

Heh. Its better than every other essay I have handed in, they have all been about 150 words under the limit...

timrie6

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
I just am finishing an essay and am already on 1520 words. The word limit is 1200 and it says the absolute limit is 1400. What happens if I'm over? Are there mark penalties?
just lie. say its 1320
thats what i do, they dont know
adjust the margins a bit if its heaps out
edit it or something

stazi

Nightman
HSC
timrie6 said:
just lie. say its 1320
thats what i do, they dont know
adjust the margins a bit if its heaps out
edit it or something
bad idea. you sign the document. if they for any reason count it/submit it through turnitin and it shows up as an excess word count, they have every right to take away marks. Luckily, the econ and business faculty have new cover sheets without the word count on the front :D
Also, speaking to my IR tutor, she'd let us go over the 1500 word limit by 300 words or so

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)