What happens in the first few weeks/months at uni? (1 Viewer)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
natstar said:
Asians hang with the Asians, the wogs hang with the wogs, and the aussies hang with the aussies, though i'm positive you will be find.
You get that in high school too, and then you have the people who don't mind and just be friends with you for who you are. I think there would be people like that at uni too, right? I think it's alot about what and who you feel confortable with, like I don't mind as long as they are friendly and genuine...lets just hope I meet people like that at uni... :uhhuh:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I wouldn't use the word cliques to describe groups of friends, not at my uni at least... cliques sort of implies some sort of exclusion, but I have found in my degree people have their strong groups of friends but a lot of people are really outgoing and friendly and you get to know a lot of people in the faculty, there isn't really this "you aren't in my clique piss off" attitude that there tends to be in high school.

That's just been my experience.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
You know the one thing I liked about high school is that we had to wear uniform and so we didn't have to worry about buying clothes etc...

Do people give a crap about what you wear at uni?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
not really. there are people who act like everyday and every lecture/tute is a catwalk runway show...but mostly, everyone looks the same in thongs, jeans, t-shirts, jackets whatever.

there are gonna be idiots who have nothing better to do than judge what others are wearing but i think on the most part, nobody cares. Wear what's comfortable (and clean :p) and as long as u don't wear the exact same outfit 5 days/week, there isnt a fuss lol

SweetSeasons

HSC
I'm pretty excited bout uni next year. ACU is smaller, and I think that's what I miss. You get to know people better in smaller groups.
I don't regret going to UWS, I made one really close friend and I met my boy friend through him.. but yeah other then that it was a waste of time and money. but things all work out for the best so yeah.. any ways

ACU here I come.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah I certainly don't treat uni as a fashion show, I live in jeans and whatever top. I go for optimum comfort at uni, not fashion. No one Ive come across gives a shit.

About the friends thing, Im a person who doesn't mind cruising around the place on my own, Im not at uni for the social side of it, Im there to get in and out as soon as possible. Having said that you do meet some fantastic people at uni, who you will generally have quite a bit in common with because you are studying the same thing. First semester was a bit of a drag because I knew absolutely no one and Im fairly shy so it seemed like everyone else was becoming friends with ease and I was still a nigel. However in second semester I did some group work with a group of fantastic people who are now some of my best friends.

There will be the groups who haven't let go of school and keep to themselves--theres one group in my course who went to school together and are now all studying the same thing. They sit under the same tree everyday, and still seem to act as though they are in high school.

I guess in the end you've just got to let it come naturally and not force it. There will be people you like, and people you don't. Everyone is trying very hard in the first few weeks to be friendly and such, so just talk to heaps of people until you eventually find someone you get along with naturally.

mishka

HSC
N/A
Some subjects require a certain level of attendance in tutorials/lectures and will mark a list of names. However, it is generally assumed that seeing as though people are adults, they will take the responsibility of turning up to lectures.

Some subjects only warn that failing to show up to lectures/tutorials will jeopardise your result in that subject but for the most part, you are responsible for attendance :)

HSC
N/A
the only lecture where the roll has been marked is Accounting, for me.

However in most tutorials, they'll mark the roll. Word of advice - ALWAYS turn up to these! Often you only get to miss two or three without a doctor's certificate - any more and you risk failing that particular unit.

Besides, the tute is the class-class. It's worth turning up to these :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Everyone of my subjects I have done required an attentance rate of 80%, like nat said. In the subjects I've done, the rolls are marked in the lecture, the lecturer recognises everyone. They put a name to a face. And then tutorials is marked based upon participation.

Crazy Fingers!

HSC
Cape said:
Everyone of my subjects I have done required an attentance rate of 80%, like nat said. In the subjects I've done, the rolls are marked in the lecture, the lecturer recognises everyone. They put a name to a face. And then tutorials is marked based upon participation.
How are you supposed to participate in a tutorial?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Crazy Fingers! said:
How are you supposed to participate in a tutorial?
It varies depending on the subject. Some of the tutorials I have done included:
- writing a reflection upon weekly readings
- lab reports
- answering questions about what was presented in a lecture
- research and writing about a particular topic

But like I said, really depends on subjects.

Crazy Fingers!

HSC
Hmm I have no problems about writing reports and stuff...but will the person doing the tutorials aks you questions on the spot and expect you to know answers? Cos I was kinda the person in HS who liked to just sit there and listen and be left alone :eek:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Well, the good thing is that tutorials are small, so theres nothing to be scared about. My tutorials have always had between 6 - 10 people in them (more popular courses will have more), but from my experience everyone helps each other out.

I used to sit at the back of the class room during first semester tutorials last year, but as time went on, I got more confident, started answering questions in tutorials, then went on to answering questions in lectures. And Nat is also right, lecturers and tutors will often ask questions straight out of the blue. Even if you don't know the 100% answer, just give it a shot anyway.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I know, there isn't many people who do my subjects. The most amount of people I've ever had in a subject was in first year, with slightly over 100 people in a lecture. And thats only because it was a core for like 3 subjects. Usually theres about 40 - 60 people in my lectures, which is good, because we can ask questions throughout the lecture.

If you are answering questions wrong all the time, you should be doing your readings and paying attention. Simple as that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)