• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What I think is very stupid (1 Viewer)

mikey1

HSC
N/A
Isnt it stupid that a student who will just get a pass in everything will end up with a higher GPA .. 4.. than someone who gets Distinction - HD in all their units and then with one Fail have a GPA of about 3 .. a fail GPA.

and yes that person is me ... Im sure I failed a unit.. and I needed it for transfers :( ...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
that's why i reckon the GPA system is so fuckin stupid

as if a 75 equates to a 84 in the GPA system, that's nearly a whole fuckin assessment.

Andi0390

HSC
If you need a years worth of study to transfer (standard) and might have 6Ds, one HD and an F (as per your (hypothetical) situation your GPA will still be 5.3. This is much higher than a GPA of a pass.

HSC
Maybe you should have recognised your weakness and worked on it. At least the person with P's has been consistent.

But I'm not sure how your GPA calculation is working: assuming you got 7 distinctions (counting as a 6) and one fail counting as 0.

(7 x 6) + 0 = 42.
end up with a gpa of 5.25. so low credit

4 x 8 = 32.
clearly a 4 gpa, so a pass.

you would still have a credit average?

Of course, that IS assuming that you did get 6's in your other units.

EDIT: Sorry, just repeating everything Andi said ;)

mikey1

HSC
N/A
I havnt sat my last exam or 2 .. but I am okay in those .. I havnt actually got my results back ... but i know I failed ..... come on you guys dont think the GPA system is pretty screwed .. it literally cuts my GPA in half...

HSC
no, i quite like it. because last semester i got exactly 80 (which is a hd at my uni), which makes my gpa much better than if it was a 79.

i am sure that i will one day i will realise that i spoke too soon.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Yeah I have 1 fail atm which brought me down from a 5.8 to a 4

lala2

Banned
HSC
I don't like GPAs because I'm always so close to the borderline--on the losing side. I've gotten so many 64s and 74s I can't even count.

miaowsha

HSC
no, i quite like it. because last semester i got exactly 80 (which is a hd at my uni), which makes my gpa much better than if it was a 79.

i am sure that i will one day i will realise that i spoke too soon.
LOL an 80 is an HD at your uni? Which cereal box do you attend?

danielvh

HSC
LOL an 80 is an HD at your uni? Which cereal box do you attend?
That's pretty insulting actually.

I go to UWA (A Go8 uni) and here an 80 is an HD. More than likely it's just as hard to get 80 here as it is to get 85 in a uni where that's an HD.

Now, take the UK: There, a 1st (there equivalent of an HD) is 70% and a 2.1 (distinction) is 60%. A pass is 40%. Does this mean that their uni's are "cereal box" unis?! Tell that to Oxford and Cambridge. I can personally tell you that when I was at the University of Bristol (top 10 UK) there for a year it was harder to get a 70 there than an 80 at UWA...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)