What if you go bad in an exam but have good ranks? (1 Viewer)

Ricky09

HSC
I'm ranked top 3 for all my subjects, except 5th in Math. If i don't go good in an exam, but im still ranked top 3 and have a good assessment mark, will my exam mark be scaled better due to my internal mark?

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Ricky09 said:
I'm ranked top 3 for all my subjects, except 5th in Math. If i don't go good in an exam, but im still ranked top 3 and have a good assessment mark, will my exam mark be scaled better due to my internal mark?
I think the scaling you're refering to might oppose your situation. If you did well with your assessment and failed the exam, your assessment might get scaled down.
It also depends on how bad you did in your exam and how much it's worth. If it's like 60% and you think you can only get half of those marks, well, it's going to screw you over. In this case, it's going to affect your assessment like I've mentioned before.

HSC
Ok. For me, I came first in Physics with a 66% for my HSC trial and everyone did pretty crap at it as well. But I haven't studied almost nothing since the trial while I know alot of others are aiming for 80% and more. While I am only looking for 60-70%.. if i can get it. So how low will my mark scale down to?..

HSC
If you go bad in an exam but your assesment marks are good then you will have a good assesment mark with a lower exam mark (depending on how you went). Basically, what assesment mark you get depends on how everyone else goes as well. The better you all do, the better you all do.

They are good rankings, so if you do feel like you bombed an exam atleast you know your assesment mark will boost you up. It is half assesment, half exam so either way you think of it, it is your exam brings your assesment down, or your assesment brings your exam up - its the same thing.

klaw

HSC
It depends on how everybody else at your school do. If everybody from your school screw the externals up then you're going to get a low internal mark. If a considerable number of people do well in the externals, you'll get a good mark. If you do better relative to everybody else at your school in the externals than the internals, then your external mark will be higher, if you do worse relative to everybody else at your school in the externals then your internals will be higher.

HSC
Ok. For me, I came first in Physics with a 66% for my HSC trial and everyone did pretty crap at it as well. But I haven't studied almost nothing since the trial while I know alot of others are aiming for 80% and more. While I am only looking for 60-70%.. if i can get it. So how low will my mark scale down to?..

klaw

HSC
Like I said, it all depends on how well the students at your school perform in the externals relative to your internals. Look at this for more info: http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

HSC
I know how much it weighs on your mind thinking and disecting how the scaling and all that could go but honestly TRY not to consider that and just do the best you can. It will do your head in till results if you think about all that over and over when really you have no way of knowing how you and the rest of the students went till the results are out.

Best of luck - you'll be fine....I made it out alive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)