What is a case study in cafs? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Can someone provide a general outline, + advantages and disadvantages. Thank you. I do not understand this methadology.

Kat92

HSC
Case study:

description - studying a person or event in great detail, it is a report describing what is found. it is highly organised and systematic in collecting data.

Uses - examine as many aspects of a person/s or event and to discover how they are unique, similar or different from what is normal or expected.

Involves studying a person or event in great detail and when writing a report describing what is found. They usually involve a study of a real life situation. A range of research techniques including interviews, observation, and questionnaire. Because they are detailed it can help with gaining a deeper understanding of a specific social issue especially in finding out how and why. Also however it usually requires supporting research from other sources.

Also you may want to have a look at: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...dmKUTn&sig=AHIEtbRsKbfRVgxLh1gLUsjrvilOEH9gLw

HSC
Thank you. i have a question, which of the following is a raw form of data, that is unaltered when collected? cast study, questionnaire, literature review or structured interview?

Kat92

HSC
Hmm.. was this a multiple choice question? - As all of these are raw data until analysed, put into tables, etc.

However, from a more technical perspective "Raw data"- is data that has not been subjected to any form of manipulation. (It can also be referred to as "primary data". ) Primary data are those forms that you have collected yourself and is often used in conjunction with a quantitative approach.

Focus is Key

HSC
I think the answer would be questionnaire as most of the questions are closed and can be easily graphed due to the majority being quantitative questions.

A structured interview generally has more open questions which are subject to qualitative information instead. A literature review cannot be graphed etc and is a secondary source (so this may not be considered 'raw'). A case study would mainly be in terms of qualitative information too I think.

Kat92

HSC
Originally, I was admittedly thinking the same thing that it would be questionnaire (when I first looked at the question this morning). However, a case study can actually take a mix of both quantitative and qualitative evidence.

Focus is Key

HSC
Originally, I was admittedly thinking the same thing that it would be questionnaire (when I first looked at the question this morning). However, a case study can actually take a mix of both quantitative and qualitative evidence.
I think it's an odd question lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)