What is a thesis (1 Viewer)

Boonyak

HSC
What is a thesis ?

Is it the opening line that sets your essay, like your argument please give me an example so i can check my essay has one LOL ;D

Demise

HSC
The notion of affiliation with others is a variable concept within one's life, subject to change based on specific circumstances and or events.

Brendonnelly

HSC
A thesis is your line of argument (in response to the question) for the entire essay. Good answers sustain it through every paragraph. It is the first line of your essay.

Boonyak

HSC
Should you have a thesis at the beginning of every line :/

Demise

HSC
No, your thesis is your argument. You should have (at the opening of each paragraph) a point of argument that meets your thesis.

The ideology that a majority of citizens uphold which is that chocolate is good is encapsulated within Cadbury's text "BUY OUR CHOCOLATE NOW" (2008) and Nestle's "WE HAVE BETTER CHOCOLATE THAN CADBURY!!!!!" (2009).
Bla bla bla...

That's your thesis, that "CHOCOLATE IS GOOD". Now, we're going to go argue that. What you do is now, you open a paragraph with an argument that should be in-tune with your thesis, and then you will go on to discuss as to why your argument is correct (with quotes, techniques, and analysis

Paragraph one:

Cadbury is one of the world's most beloved chocolate production companies. This can be attributed to Cadbury's 2010 promotional campaign which was critically acclaimed and received the "Best Promotional Advertisement" voted by Sydney citizens.

The thesis is the first bit, and your point of argument (in bold) is the first sentence of "Paragraph one:"... I tried to make it humorous but honestly, you should have known this already.

Last edited:

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
thesis is the first line in the essay that answers the question or states what your argument is going to be
topic sentences appear in the first line of every paragraph. they should explain why you want to answer the question that way or why you're arguing that point. and then in the paragraphs, you'll elaborate on your topic sentences

2xL

HSC
LOL one day before exam. "What is a thesis"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)