what is art practice and the conceptual framework? (1 Viewer)

Crizzy

HSC
can someone explain what is meant by the art practice and the conceptual framework?

:confused::confused:

My art teacher half the time does not show up to class and the other half comes to class late then disapppears for most of the period then comes back smelling like cigarettes... :burn:

my art exam is on this friday and i am so gonna fail....
:bomb:

rachael.mcgee

HSC
crizzy,

whatever you do, don't walk into the exam thinking you're gonna fail!! use the rest of today and tomorrow to get the basics down.

i've been pretty confuse by those terms as well, especiall "art practice", cos i'm never sure all the aspects it encompasses.

but the Excel book puts it really well:

ARTMAKING PRACTICE
>>> refers to all the things that might be important in the production of an artwork, including
-treatment and use of materials
-representation of thoughts, feelings and experiences
-stylistic innovations
-the artists' intention and philosophy
-emerging technologies
-personal symbols and signs
-ideas and concepts

simply put, artmaking practise looks at the intentions of an artist, and the techniques, strategies and processes they use to get to the finished product of "the artwork".

like with your Body of Work, it takes into consideration both
> technical resolution
and
> conceptual strength and meaning.

on top of this, the "artmaking practice" doesn't simply result from the artist and their ideas -- they are influenced in various ways by their world, and their aims; what they want the audience to get from their work (if anything). which leads me to....

The Conceptual Framework.

This looks at the relationships between the four agencies of the artworld --
>Artist
>Artwork
>World
>Audience

Basically, these aspects all interact with each other to create an artwork.

Prime example, you and your BOW -- you are the ARTIST, creating your ARTWORK. But factors of your WORLD (including your experiences of life on a personal and wider level) influenced you in the creation and processes. The AUDIENCE (in large part, the HSC markers) will become part of the "life of the artwork", too.

Sorry if that confused.

But for a more practical example, we can look at, say, the Pop Art movement.

ARTISTS: who created the art?? what were their beliefs/ideals/values/philosophies? what was their intent? what was their experience with the world?

>warhol, david hockney, roy lichtenstein, etc.

ARTWORK: what does it look like? what features can be seen? are any dominant styles evident? tone/colour/shape/texture/media/line/form? etc.
>characterised by the iconography of the commercial world, taking recognised symbols and replicating them, as in Andy Warhol's "Marilyn" and "Campbell's Soup Can" works
>screen printing, photomontage etc.
>The commercial processes of producing products and images in the media, as influenced by the "WORLD", were imitated by Warhol in his artmaking practice - mass producing, replication of images

WORLD: puts the artwork into a context. Influences the artwork, the artist, and how the audience sees and respond to the work. With a knowledge of the WORLD of an artwork (time and place in which it was created), we can gain insight into why it is the way it is, and appreciate it on a deeper level.
>Television introduced in USA
>Mass media and American prosperity at their height
>Consumerist society
>(these influenced the artwork, as seen above)

AUDIENCE: anyone who views the art, has an opinion on it. what was the response from the public, art writers, curators, critics? how is the audience involved in the work? on what level does the audience interact with the artwork/audience?
>pop-art audiences could easily access the iconography used in pop art, such as the cococola bottles of Warhol and use of comic-strips by Lichtenstein. They were features taken from the lives of the masses and created into art.
>the audience was led to question, "what is art?"

if you have a basic understanding of these relationships, it's a reaaaaaaaal bonus ;)
it might seem complex but it's really not; the essence is just that everything influences each other! in the exam you might be asked to explain the link, say, between the artwork and the audience. ("Explain the relationship between the artwork and audience in plates 3 and 4")

hope this all helps, i'm really sorry if it just confused you.

good luck on friday!!

-rach

Crizzy

HSC
THANKS HEAAPPPPSSS!!!!!! for explaining it in great details, and no its not confusing..it all makes more sense now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)