• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what is core-duo equivalent to? (1 Viewer)

sladehk

le random
HSC
i see all this core duo business and this other olden HT thingo with the gigahertz for the processors with FSB or what not? could someone like explain all this gibberish in layman's terms coz i can't find the info by goolging.. like what kind of core-duo = x ghz and what does bus speed or FSB do?

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
the cheaper ones, 6300 and 6400, which cost $300ish can be overclocked to around FX-62 speeds which cost +$1000

the 6600 which is $500ish is about equal to the FX-62 without overclocking.

so anyone who bought the high end AMD chips before conroe was released got ripped off pretty badly. the 3x00 and 4x00 AMDs have dropped alot to still remain competitive.

KennyChew

HSC
The new CPU's are wicked quick. with major overclocking potential if your into that. If i recall people are hitting 2.5hgz on their 6300's from stock.

FSB= Front Side Bus. This is the speed of which the CPU transfers to memory (I think). To get the clock speed of a CPU you need to take the FSB and multiply it by the CPU multiplier. For example i have a CPU with a multiplier of 10 and my FSB rund in 166 DDR (333SD) mhz. making my CPU clock at 1660 Mhz.

I think the reason Intel and AMD have moved away from convensional naming of their CPU's from clock speed (eg 3ghz). is that it simply does not determine performance.

Like the E6400 performs way above that of a pentium D955. Even though the frequency of the D955 is above 3ghz(from memory).

However core2 duo has more advantages of the previous netburst architecture of pentrium 4. Not only is it faster. It also draws less power, and is much cooler in temperature.

Edit: Oh you might be wondering how a slower clocked CPU could be so much faster. They changed the achritecture of the CPU, the new architecture has shorter "pipelines" from i think it was 33 steps to about 16 or a bit less. Pls there is more than is changed.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
After Intel's Netburst (Pentium 4) architecture became a serious liability to their competitiveness, they looked towards their Pentium M mobile processors for inspiration. The key here is efficiency, rather than brute clock-speed. Intel then refined their designs and the Core Solo/Duo series was released. Effectively Intel fell into a hole they dug with their 'higher clocks = better' marketing deployed during the Pentium IV days. I'm sure the AMD execs were giving Intel the 'fucking idiots' grin there. Core2 Duo is a further refinement of the Core Duo range. Current range is:
E6300 - 1.83GHz
E6400 - 2.13GHz
E6600 - 2.4GHz
E6700 - 2.66GHz
X6800 - 2.93GHz

There are three additional Core2 Duo processors on the way as part of Intel's first iteration Conroe refresh.

Intel also plans to release their Intel Quad (formerly Kentsfield) series soon too, boasting essentially two Conroes slapped together (non-native quad-core).

Current models planned include:
Q6600 - 2.4GHz quad-core
QX6700 - 2.66GHz quad-core

Collin

HSC
N/A
Core/Core 2 Duo are dual-core processors.

It would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison to look at Pentium M (Core's predecessor) vs. Pentium 4. The result there would pretty much be similar performance for less clock speed.

E.g I would estimate a Dothan-cored Pentium M @ 1.73GHz (M 740) would perform similarly to a Pentium 4 @ 2.4-2.6GHz. But also it depends on which benchmarks/programs you're testing.. some processor architectures are more suited to certain tasks than others. Pentium M owes it's design more to Pentium III more than Pentium IV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)