What is extracurricular/social life like at USYD? (1 Viewer)

ccc333

HSC
I have enrolled at USYD, but I applied for MQ in the final round (and got the offer i wanted) because i am still deciding which uni I should choose. USYD is 1 hr away from my house, but MQ is only ten minutes. If that was the only variable i'd choose MQ in a heartbeat, but i'm worried that there isn't much sports/social stuff going on at MQ ,especially compared to sydney, and that uni will end up being boring. I don't want uni to be like: i go to classes, go home, study and repeat. To all USYD people, what is the sport/extracurricular/social aspect of the uni like, and is it worth taking the longer journey every day because of this? It is a huge factor, probably the main factor, in my choice of uni at this point.

Prestige of each uni has no bearing in my decision by the way. I probably need to make my decision pretty soon considering I received my offer in the final round, so i cant delay.

Thanks!

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
The social life is what you make of it. There are lots of opportunities to get involved - many clubs and societies and sports to join if you want to. I know people who would be hanging out at manning bar or Herman's everyday. If you want to hang out at Uni socially you will find other people who are - it can depend on what groups of friends you move into however if you join clubs etc you will meet lots of people and they will hang out socially.

I guess the only thing that may impact is if you do want to hang around and socialize, what are the public transport options like for you getting back home at night or evenings. I lived on campus/near Uni for most of my degree so it was easy to do, however perhaps someone else who lives further away can provide an insight. I guess for me personally I would be less likely to hang out late etc when I know it will take me an hour or more to get home, but that's me- and I'm sure other people manage it fine.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
nonexistent unless you can afford access membership

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Good if you aren't anti-social.

I have so many friends. Yay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)