• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is in your journal? (1 Viewer)

gwemma88

HSC
I though this would be a very good thread to start so that we can give each other ideas on what to include in our journals so that we all hopefully end up getting better marks because we have more ideas on what to research and reflect on etc etc.

In my journal i have...
- My timeline that says when i am going to do everything and how.
- reflections on why i chose EE2
- thoughts on which medium i should choose and why/why not.
- my wide reading log.
- ideas for my story
- past short stories i have written and why i think they are crap.
- a list of everything i like or am passionate about.
- lyrics to my favourite songs.
- reflections on class
- sheets given to me in class.
- notes from the lectures we had to attend
- quotes from famous writers.
- newspaper articles that interested me somewhat
- emotive photographs
- emails between people who are helping me with my research
- the history of the short story genre
- notes from "how to write" books.
- proposal assignment sheet
- proposal drafts
- famous short stories and my reflections on them.
- final proposal
- marking sheet from proposal with teachers' comments.
- other pointless ramblings from my scrambled brain.

Shoot! now i have made that list it seems like a lot. Perhaps i really am too obsessive about my journal?!

Porcia

HSC
nothing. just one sheet pasted - the statement of intent

madelyn

HSC
lol don't worry...I'm getting quite obsessed with my journal too, I'm starting to become quite attached to it *gazes fondly at journal*. I think the more you include the better, because you never know what might provide a spark of inspiration...

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Ideally, you should only put in the stuff that might be remotely useful because it'll make the information you need easier to find. If you find yourself struggling for inspiration, keep two journals; one for research and the other for random inspirational clips. Just a suggestion from an ex EE2 student.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
my journal is full of ranting.
diary entries.
lots of sheets about short story writing
a review/analysis of about 20 novels i've read so far in preparation for writing

....stuff like that...maybe i'll include visual stuff as i'm a very visually orientated person...but i have heaps of that in my art journal anyway.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
gwemma88 said:
I though this would be a very good thread to start so that we can give each other ideas on what to include in our journals so that we all hopefully end up getting better marks because we have more ideas on what to research and reflect on etc etc.

In my journal i have...
- My timeline that says when i am going to do everything and how.
- reflections on why i chose EE2
- thoughts on which medium i should choose and why/why not.
- my wide reading log.
- ideas for my story
- past short stories i have written and why i think they are crap.
- a list of everything i like or am passionate about.
- lyrics to my favourite songs.
- reflections on class
- sheets given to me in class.
- notes from the lectures we had to attend
- quotes from famous writers.
- newspaper articles that interested me somewhat
- emotive photographs
- emails between people who are helping me with my research
- the history of the short story genre
- notes from "how to write" books.
- proposal assignment sheet
- proposal drafts
- famous short stories and my reflections on them.
- final proposal
- marking sheet from proposal with teachers' comments.
- other pointless ramblings from my scrambled brain.

Shoot! now i have made that list it seems like a lot. Perhaps i really am too obsessive about my journal?!

Pretty much exactly the same as you, minus the timeline because I never follow them anyway.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Deary me, you people are organised. :p

My journal contains nothing more or less than ideas and snippets about my story. Oh, and I've got a bibliography in there as well. But mostly I've just ideas and fleshings out. For me, that's all a journal is meant to do.

HSC
N/A
Don't overstress about your journals, kiddies. Everyone's journal is unique, just the same way their MW and writing process will be. And voila, I've just listed the three components of the EE2 course.

I suggest that if you KNOW you're going to have to do a lot of research (eg your work is location/language/historical time period related) that you set aside a separate journal for that so you CAN easily reference things.

However if you don't think your major work will be totally hard-core on research, then it's not worth bothering about - nothing in the book says it HAS to be neat and tidy and orderly, so do with it as you will :)

HSC
I just have excerpts from novels that have inspired me, snippets from other sources (eg. TheOnion, PBF), some information about genre and some of my own thoughts on them, and a few ideas about my plot.

Skitten

HSC
Don't stress over your journal, its only there to tell the marker that it was your complete 100% idea and work. If it was in an orderly fashio then it would seem staged and fake.

I started off with one of those Timeline things but it never worked. My journal is just a mess of research, mindless rattlings, pictures, drawings, more mindless crap that somewhat inspired me and even more mindless rantings.

When i look back on what i've written i've been forced to come to the conclusion that i am mentally insane!!! (with a split personalities - many of them). :)

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
I'm obsessive too, it's turning into my diary, I swear! Not good.

Hlaf my diary seems to be taken up with me bitching about authors not wanting to me my mentor, and me not being able to think of ideas. I pity my marker. The other half is me taking up space with big bright headings. Hehehehe. But I DO have newspaper clippings, an old poem I've written, a short story I sent to a competition, emaisl I've sent to people, printed out drafts of my work (with highlighted bits and notes in the margin), lyrics, quotes, a mindmap, etc...sounds like you're on top of it!! good job!

strong_helga

Western Sydney bitches! yeah up for fairfield!
HSC
eh...
my journal just has like, random reflections, diary entries, characters, practice pieces, analysis of texts studied, short stories, techniques, my plot (like 11 times revised xD) and what im doing atm.
and what is hould be doing insted of my journal (like maths xD)

hmm yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)