• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is meant by Assumed Knowledge? (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
If you do not have the assumed knowledge or only some of it - can you still apply for the course? Is it a prerequisite?

You see, i do biology, chemistry and mathematics. I want to do pharmacy or a medical course.

I may drop mathematics - even though we are up to our last topic. (Dropping due to workload and bad marks)

SO i know mathematics, and i do bio and chem - so is that OKAY in terms of Assumed Knowledge - will i be alright to apply for courses that require you to have 'Assumed Knowledge' even though i will not officially do a HSC in mathematics?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Assumed means they assume you know it and won't care if you fall behind because you don't

williamc

HSC
Lordsion said:
If you do not have the assumed knowledge or only some of it - can you still apply for the course? Is it a prerequisite?

You see, i do biology, chemistry and mathematics. I want to do pharmacy or a medical course.

I may drop mathematics - even though we are up to our last topic. (Dropping due to workload and bad marks)

SO i know mathematics, and i do bio and chem - so is that OKAY in terms of Assumed Knowledge - will i be alright to apply for courses that require you to have 'Assumed Knowledge' even though i will not officially do a HSC in mathematics?
Assumed knowledge, believe it or not, means they assume you have knowledge in that subject!

I got no idea about pharmacy or a medical course, but for applied finance and economics they had a mathematics assumed knowledge recommendation, without hsc mathematics knowledge you would be fucked.

Evilo

HSC
Lordsion said:
be careful though - if you drop this course then you will start from "behind" at uni

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Yeah, the course is taught with an assumption that you already know the 'assumed knowledge'. A lot of the things will learn will be based on this knowledge you should already have.

ippie

HSC
Well, you've practically done the whole maths course. So you should be alright.

Dunno about pharmacy's expectations though.

I dropped Maths right after my trials lol and Maths is "assumed knowledge" for some of my units in uni. I'm doing alright, even though I dropped Maths. Why did I drop it? Well it's kinda stupid really. I ***know*** the content right? But I couldn't bring myself to study hard enough to do well in exams. I knew how to do stuff but *shrug* give me a maths exam to do, I would die.

Yeah, I sound pretty retarded.

deadbeat

HSC
my advice is to get a decent tutor, you can go from an bad/average student to top of the class with a decent tutor. 2u maths is not hard, just requires understanding

good thing is the problems never change, they just write it in a different way.

i know a few people who got into a sci course not having any science and mathematics background, maybe only having bio, and they are really struggling in 1st year.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
ippie said:
Well, you've practically done the whole maths course. So you should be alright.

Dunno about pharmacy's expectations though.

I dropped Maths right after my trials lol and Maths is "assumed knowledge" for some of my units in uni. I'm doing alright, even though I dropped Maths. Why did I drop it? Well it's kinda stupid really. I ***know*** the content right? But I couldn't bring myself to study hard enough to do well in exams. I knew how to do stuff but *shrug* give me a maths exam to do, I would die.

Yeah, I sound pretty retarded.
why didn't you just sit the exam but not study at all. Nothing to lose, and since you already knew the content you wouldn't of died...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)