• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is so good about being a virgin? (1 Viewer)

*Buttercup*

HSC
*TRUE* said:
And i have NO IDEA how you have reached the conclusion that religious teachings are more about abstract ideas of goodness. Have you gotten religion and ethics mixed up?
In the bible you get: Love others , dont sin (fornication= sex before marriage= sin) , love God , trust God. Not very abstract...pretty darn obvious :)

Loving God and others isnt abstract..I dont see love as abstract or just feelings. Love to me is a verb. Something you DO. Not abstract at all.
Good point :)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
I get it. You on the other hand seem pretty confused even though I'm using proper spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

Yes but why is sex before marriage a sin? That's what I'm getting at here. Why would religious teachings be so specific about a physical act.

Love and trust are abstract ideals about being a good person. They're not tangible things like sex.
Okay. Now we are debating your style.
I disagree with you.
I think love and trust only mean something if you act on them in some way. Hence i see them as tangible - but i do not think this is really the point.

No you clearly do not understand what i have said...I am not at all confused by your point of view , i hear it every day, in every way.
If you really want to understand what i have to say , then i think you should go back and read some of the things i wrote to you earlier.
Ive written more than enough :)

Shoubadoo

HSC
*TRUE* said:
:)
I am saying , that valuing virginity is entirely subjective , it DOES often come down to religious beliefs , stereotypes , cultural climate. It just does. Different people will have varying opinions.
I think the only attribute that makes virginity precious is the owner placing a value on it.
My friend's mum has a china cup that is worth (monetarily) nothing but she values it - i dont value it myself but she does so when i go there i dont mess with it :)
A friend has some rosary beads that she places alot of value on , i dont particularly place value on them EXCEPT that she does. I dont pay her out for putting value on it. Its close to her heart.
In this world meaning itself is very subjective.

We all choose what to value , and i think as long as our values dont infringe on someone else in a bad way , we shouldnt feel a need to debate one another on whether it actually has value.
I understand what you're saying, ya.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Okay. Now we are debating your style.
I disagree with you.
I think love and trust only mean something if you act on them in some way. Hence i see them as tangible - but i do not think this is really the point.

No you clearly do not understand what i have said...I am not at all confused by your point of view , i hear it every day, in every way.
If you really want to understand what i have to say , then i think you should go back and read some of the things i wrote to you earlier.
Ive written more than enough :)
You still haven't answered my question. I hear your point of view a lot too, mostly from my Catholic family. That said, you keep deflecting my questions by picking apart other aspects of my posts.

I'm bringing it down to the very basics now.

Why is sex a sin?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
I get it. You on the other hand seem pretty confused even though I'm using proper spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

Yes but why is sex before marriage a sin? That's what I'm getting at here. Why would religious teachings be so specific about a physical act.

Love and trust are abstract ideals about being a good person. They're not tangible things like sex.

EDIT: Also, I don't mean to say that there is only way one to behave. Debate is about putting forward your ideas for other people to understand and weigh up against their own beliefs. Rarely do these big questions come to concrete conclusions but I still don't understand why people find sex to be so "bad" and virginity to be so "pure", especially when people pull religious teachings into the equation.
One last thing:
I do not think that 'sex' is bad - it's a strawman argument to say that all virgins think sex is bad. I dont , and no one who abstains (in my circle) holds that view that i am aware of.
And i do not think that being a virgin in the physical sense is all that is necessary for being pure.
Fornication is one sin. There are many others.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
You still haven't answered my question. I hear your point of view a lot too, mostly from my Catholic family. That said, you keep deflecting my questions by picking apart other aspects of my posts.

I'm bringing it down to the very basics now.

Why is sex a sin?
Sex is not a sin.
EDIT: do you mean why is fornication a sin?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Oh my motherfucking God, be pedantic.

Why is sex before marriage a sin?

According to my beliefs:
God created a man and a woman for one another - that is not to say that men and women are not ever meant to be single , but that the general idea is attraction between the two and a sexual relationship and partnership.
When the two unite (have sex) they form a spiritual bond 'The two shall become one' - they are united.
A man and a woman are spiritually designed to be a dynamic partnership.
This spiritual bond is only broken through death or unfaithfulness of a partner - and the break is not clean , each partner leaves the sexual relationship changed for the worse, in terms of their spiritual makeup.

God is able to restore a persons spiritual virginity.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
*TRUE* said:
According to my beliefs:
God created a man and a woman for one another - that is not to say that men and women are not ever meant to be single , but that the general idea is attraction between the two and a sexual relationship and partnership.
When the two unite (have sex) they form a spiritual bond 'The two shall become one' - they are united.
A man and a woman are spiritually designed to be a dynamic partnership.
This spiritual bond is only broken through death or unfaithfulness of a partner - and the break is not clean , each partner leaves the sexual relationship changed for the worse, in terms of their spiritual makeup.

God is able to restore a persons spiritual virginity.
So you're saying that for them to have sex before marriage means that they've broken a partnership they haven't even had yet?

Or, if sex is meant to be a spiritual partnership as well, then what if they have sex before they get married but then get married anyways? What's the problem there?

Otherwise, I've read that five times and it still doesn't really answer my question. Those are the only bits I can find that relate to my original question.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
So you're saying that for them to have sex before marriage means that they've broken a partnership they haven't even had yet?

Or, if sex is meant to be a spiritual partnership as well, then what if they have sex before they get married but then get married anyways? What's the problem there?

Otherwise, I've read that five times and it still doesn't really answer my question. Those are the only bits I can find that relate to my original question.
Are you trying to understand what i write??
Sorry if i sound frustrated. Im tired.
I am saying that the first time someone has sex they are forming the partnership i described above.
If that person subsequently sleeps with another , they are BREAKING what was sacred before God. 'What God has joined together...." etc.
Im heaps tired...cant write anymore....goodnight :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Which is what I outlined in my second question. Are you even bothering to read what I've said?

If they have pre-marital sex then get married what's the problem? They formed "the partnership" with sex and then made it official with the ceremony. If you think you've already addressed this then try to be more clear. Right now what you're saying is pretty convoluted.

Feel free to answer it in the morning

HSC
Looking over the last few pages of the thread, it's funny that the people whom don't care about "sex before marrage", in general, use more antagonizing, insults and swearing.

Not calling out anyone in particular, but it is an interesting observation, as it relates to what I said in my first post, about the characteristics of the two types of people, once again - in general.

Evilo

HSC
evry1getscrewed said:
if everything he said could be summarised into your little quote than why didn't you say it first?

its because you would rather criticise than contribute in a constructive manner.

don't bag people for giving detail. we're all here to share ideas. if they take a bit of explanation, so be it.

no one cares if you could say it better/shorter.
dude, it was said on page 17 (im sure you read that previously right?), he was ranting about how good his ideas were, and how we should all undertake them in our own lifestyle. Well clearly he needs correcting.

Evilo

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Looking over the last few pages of the thread, it's funny that the people whom don't care about "sex before marrage", in general, use more antagonizing, insults and swearing.

Not calling out anyone in particular, but it is an interesting observation, as it relates to what I said in my first post, about the characteristics of the two types of people, once again - in general.
oh fair enough lol i wouldn't doubt that at all :)

imo out of the "sex after marriage group" there are three clear groups

a) the people who agree because 'god said so', or their parents convinced them.
b) people who think its something that should be used on someone special
c) people who are ugly as fuck, and use the above reason as an excuse why they are not having sex.

Far too many people from a and c imo (although all of them will say b)

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Tulipa said:
Which is what I outlined in my second question. Are you even bothering to read what I've said?

If they have pre-marital sex then get married what's the problem? They formed "the partnership" with sex and then made it official with the ceremony. If you think you've already addressed this then try to be more clear. Right now what you're saying is pretty convoluted.

Feel free to answer it in the morning
I think it might be because until you get married, there's no guarantee that you will actually get married.

Shoubadoo

HSC
Tulipa said:

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-sum/sum-f001.html <---- What's written on that page is not too long, and it basically tells you the Christian/Catholic belief of why it is a sin to have sex before marriage.

Sex is another expression of love and should be respected and saved for someone you truly love- and the first step in the Christian religion in showing that you TRULY love someone is through marriage, so sex should follow, and not precede, marriage.

Christians believe God made sex intimately enjoyable to assist in the maried couple forming a closer relationship. They would be encouraged to raise a god-loving family.

Followers of the religion are taught that having sex before marriage means they will become distant from God, since the strong emotions that come with sex will distract them- they could be involved with more than one person and may not see the need to fall in true love and have a family.

Evilo

HSC
Tulipa said:
way to open a can of worms. the die hard christians are on fire now.

HSC
Evilo said:
a) the people who agree because 'god said so', or their parents convinced them.
b) people who think its something that should be used on someone special
c) people who are ugly as fuck, and use the above reason as an excuse why they are not having sex.
How did you collect these options? How many people did you poll? Or are they simply your own flawed perception of the reality?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)