What is so special about James Ruse or any other selective? (1 Viewer)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
ruse is special cos they have come first since 1996

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I think we were trying to discern why that is the case :)
the question was a 'what' question, not a 'why' question.

outside perceptions of prestige, the school only accepting the best scores in the selective test (and other intakes) and an innate desire to uphold that expectation that they will come first also comes in, leading to a highly motivated, high scoring and consistent cohort that wins hsc

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
They have the top students in the state. Why else???

They're full of asians...

sy37

HSC
James Ruse ist das top schule für die Jungen und Mädchen lernen

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
The thing about selective schools is that they are essentially self-fulfilling prophecies, as the majority of people are tutored in and get good results, maintaining the rep of the school. The very bright and incredibly potent individuals are still distributed chaotically throughout the state schools, but the more hard working ones are concentrated in the selective areas. Hard work can make up for the lack of giftedness, as I have carefully observed.

kayywang

HSC
I guess people in selective schools are more competitive, so there is more of a pressure to do well. But then again whilst competition is generally a good thing, it also has its downsides and can create excessive mental stress :/

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Think outside the box and ask yourself, what is really so special about ruse and any other selective school

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Tldr; has anyone actually pointed out that selective schools (at the least high performing ones) are subjected to a slightly different teaching model than a normal school?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Tldr; has anyone actually pointed out that selective schools (at the least high performing ones) are subjected to a slightly different teaching model than a normal school?
Well a friend that I know said (anecdotally) that a lot of the people in her physics class do maths and the teacher doesn't care, so I knew there was some difference, but that wasn't enough for me to deduce anything about their teaching style.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Well a friend that I know said (anecdotally) that a lot of the people in her physics class do maths and the teacher doesn't care, so I knew there was some difference, but that wasn't enough for me to deduce anything about their teaching style.
I think it's more along the lines of a teaching model intended to cater for 'gifted and talented' students.

I suspect it is about providing a more stimulating learning environment than normal for these types of students so that they are constantly challenged and realise their potential.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I think it's more along the lines of a teaching model intended to cater for 'gifted and talented' students.

I suspect it is about providing a more stimulating learning environment than normal for these types of students so that they are constantly challenged and realise their potential.
Easy enough for them, I had to come to terms with myself and the mathematical discoveries I made. Of course without a mentor, I have underdeveloped problem solving skills, and know very little. (But at least I know that I know very little.)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

I can attest the teaching is typically very oriented to doing well in exams versus purely for the learning of the course
For example, whilst our English teachers will discourage rote learned essays, they understand that students will do it inevitably, so they offer advice on how to do it well

milkytea99

HSC
It is the best, as you can see it has topped the HSC rankings for 15+ years. End of discussion.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Like someone mentioned it's a self fulfilling prophecy: the best students (i.e either good knowledge or 30+ hours tutoring per week - usually the latter) try and go to the best schools and it just repeats itself - each student there has pride and so they work to keep it that way - honestly my friend went to james ruse once for a talk and he basically overheard a group of parents (asian ladies) all boasting how much time their children spend in tutoring, like for some reason they're proud the more time their kid goes to tutoring =_=

I had one of the most relaxed HSCs with no stress like some seem to mention , sure I did not do well as some, but that beats all the times I relaxed and enjoyed my schooling rather then studying where you can end up anywhere you want (apart from medicine) with just a transfer at university. Unnecessary pressure - learn at your own pace , you don't want to end up like some of these kids who start getting depression, social anxiety and the like.(although it's a minority, but there is some merit and correlation to the stress built up)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)