What is the best double degree in combination with Commerce? (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I currently only have 3 preferences in my UAC - all BComms in UNSW, MacQ, and USyd respectively.

I'm not really sure what to do in the future, but at least I'm mostly interested in BComm and it seems well suited for me.

I have heard BArts is good for a wide range of courses, and will allow you to have a good amount of choices to choose between.

I personally want to do a Double Degree simply so it allows me to have more choices on what I want to do post-uni, as I have heard a BComm is not effective on its own (may be wrong). I'm not so much interested in Engineering or Sciences (too much of that already in HSC).

What are your suggestions/personal experiences? I realise this question is a bit vague but I need some ideas as a guide.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
@turntaker & Flop21, I never got a clear answer on whether doing a double is bad or not.

Confound

HSC
Com/law.

Also lol at bcomm not being effective on its own

RyanT7

HSC
I'm obviously not in the best position to be discussing this topic, so take my post with a grain of salt.

As far as I know, having a double degree may seem like it looks better on your CV, but the truth is that employers are most likely only interested in the degree which is relevant to the job you are applying for. Due to this, it's probably best to make sure that if you do a double degree that they compliment each other. For example BCom / Advanced Mathematics, majoring in finance. If you have 2 degrees that don't really compliment each other, for example Engineering / Commerce, it is pretty much useless, except it can act as a backup career path if one doesn't work out as planned.

si2136

HSC
N/A
What career pathways would you like to take? What would you want to major in?

Commerce is really broad.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have 2 degrees that don't really compliment each other, for example Engineering / Commerce, it is pretty much useless, except it can act as a backup career path if one doesn't work out as planned.
I've come across quite a few engineering-focused jobs where having a double degree in specifically commerce was seen as particularly beneficial (BOC and IBM for example).

But yeah, as si2136 said, comm is quite broad.

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
philosophy or classics

not joking

Last edited:

baktiar77

HSC
If you have 2 degrees that don't really compliment each other, for example Engineering / Commerce, it is pretty much useless, except it can act as a backup career path if one doesn't work out as planned.
I've heard from the Open Days and Career Advisors, that having Engineering profile/degree is quite useful when applying for graduate banks/finance positions as apparently engineers are perceived to be good problem solvers. Now I don't claim to know any former B.Comm/B.Eng alumni but I can the see the point they were getting at.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard from the Open Days and Career Advisors, that having Engineering profile/degree is quite useful when applying for graduate banks/finance positions as apparently engineers are perceived to be good problem solvers. Now I don't claim to know any former B.Comm/B.Eng alumni but I can the see the point they were getting at.
If you have a linkedin account, use it as much as you can and see what new-ish analysts at banks studied at university. Comm/law of course seems to be the most popular, but the next popular is comm/engg.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
To answer your question, the most sought after combination is comm/law for many reasons.

However, B.Comm by itself is absolutely fine. I know some people who wish they just did commerce because it is much easier to excel in and you'll be in a solid position to get any finance/acct/whatever job you want. However, banks etc like to stick with precedent and since most of the top kids are in comm/law, that's where they mostly hire from (see this coming summers goldman sachs interns).

Lopo

HSC
What about your opinions on Comm/Eco. How useful is the extra economics degree?

si2136

HSC
N/A
What about your opinions on Comm/Eco. How useful is the extra economics degree?
It's actually quite pointless. They're like the totally opposite degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)