What is the best Uni for teaching? (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Not exactly sure about this but there seems to be no shortage of social science teachers at my school. They usually end up doing odd jobs.

Definitely a surplus of humanity geared teachers. I was speaking to a teacher who had only recently graduated uni and she claimed almost everyone she met was looking to enter either History, PE or Social Science. My school also seems to be constantly hiring Maths and Science teachers however, so there's that
Yes there is a surplus of humanity teachers -> commerce, legal, etc but few actual teachers with the capability of teaching economics.

trungduong12

HSC
Theres a shortage of science and maths teachers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: x1

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Yes there is a surplus of humanity teachers -> commerce, legal, etc but few actual teachers with the capability of teaching economics.
My business studies teacher had first class honours in B Economics at UNSW and still wasn't able to teach eco because my principal currently holds that position (B Comm/Law)

HSC
best uni for teaching? (specifically for becoming an English teacher). Also, would like to teach at a catholic/private school.
Best unis for teaching secondary school - if you want to go straight into the Educational degree I recommend Macquarie as it has a really good reputation for undergraduate programs. Sydney's quite popular as well - same for the undergraduate but also things like post graduate diplomas or masters degrees in education. ANU and ACU would also be good as well :)

I don't want to say this but I've done heaps of research on becoming a teacher, particularly in the independent sector (since I'm the most familiar with it,) and... There is always an oversupply of Primary school teachers, but now Secondary English/History teachers are becoming quite high in supply and low in demand. If you want to work at a private/catholic school you need to be prepared to work either casually or part time to build up your skills set and experience, (most likely in the public sector which isn't so bad but it's something you need to be prepared to do, but I guess it's the same for pretty much any teacher regardless of subject that they teach,) or work in rural or other areas where you would prefer to be somewhere different. You need to be willing to put your hand up for extra things such as camps, or coaching sport over the weekends.

You need to be really good if you want to get a job at a top independent or catholic school soon - as you can imagine it's super competitive so you need to have loads of experience, references and proof that you're good at what you do. I'm the same - although I'd like to teach high school Mathematics we're in the same boat :)

Hope I've helped! ^^

RobertGreene

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
There are a plenty of university where you can go to teach.It is a fact that if you have a good teaching skills then there are no need to selection of university, then you can promote your teaching career through any university.Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)