What is the difference between B Economics and B Commerce (1 Viewer)

Lucas_

HSC
Hey,

I've been doing some research the past few days about possible uni courses I may be interested in. This may be a novice question, but could somebody please explain the difference between a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Commerce?

As far as I can tell from the UAC guide explanations, Economics seems to be more theoretical whilst Commerce seems more grounded.

I have never studied commerce or business studies at school, but I am currently doing Economics for the HSC and I find it quite interesting.

If it makes any difference, I am tossing up between UNSW and USyd's courses for these degrees, probably combined with arts or science.

Thanks!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Look at the degree handbooks.

Commerce allows you majors such as Finance and Accounting, or Marketing or Management.

Economics just gives you Economics or Econometrics and those things.

BiancaC

HSC
You need to do your research and look at what do you REALLY want to do.

Economics is a study of just that. It gives you the option of a few different majors (i.e. financial economics, econometrics etc)

Commerce is quite different. It gives you a one year introduction to many different elements of commerce and business before choosing a major (or two, or a major and a minor) from a long list.

Big difference, what exactly do you want to do with your degree?

As for a combined degree, good option. Bear in mind Economics is now within the Faculty of Arts at Sydney. That may or may not be saying something about the course...

Shadowless

HSC

Economics is a study of just that. It gives you the option of a few different majors (i.e. financial economics, econometrics etc)

Commerce is quite different. It gives you a one year introduction to many different elements of commerce and business before choosing a major (or two, or a major and a minor) from a long list.

As for a combined degree, good option. Bear in mind Economics is now within the Faculty of Arts at Sydney. That may or may not be saying something about the course...
lol

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

It doesn't.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Look at the degree handbooks.

Commerce allows you majors such as Finance and Accounting, or Marketing or Management.

Economics just gives you Economics or Econometrics and those things.
incorrect majors you can do with economics:

Table A Economics Majors:

Economics
Econometrics
Financial Economics

Table B Other Approved ASB Majors

Accounting
Business Law
Finance
Human Resource Management
Information Systems and Information Technology
International Business
Management
Marketing
Taxation

Table C: Approved Majors from other Faculties
Mathematics

European Studies
Statistics

Film Studies
Psychology

History
Japanese Studies

Indigenous Studies
Chinese Studies

International Relations
Korean Studies

Linguistics
French Studies

Media, Culture and Technology
German Studies

Music & Music Education
Hispanic Studies

Politics
Asian Studies

Sociology and Anthropology
Criminology

Theatre and Performance Studies
Dance

Americas Studies (minor only)
Development Studies

Art History and Theory (College of Fine Arts) (minor only)
English

Creative Writing (minor only)
Environmental Studies

Women's and Gender Studies (minor only)
Indonesian Studies (minor only)

1to1 Tutor

HSC
N/A
Economics is the science or study of allocation of resources within a certain place while commerce is the act of exchanging different resources from two different places.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Economics is the science or study of allocation of resources within a certain place while commerce is the act of exchanging different resources from two different places.
Great. Not sure how much that applies to the university degrees though in terms of what subjects are actually studied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)