What is the exact real deal?! (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
i mean i keep hearing 50 percent of ur hsc is ur assessment marks and 50 is ur final examinations...
but the deal is the 50 percent counts towards ur HSC rite?
i emphasise on the HSC
as being just the certificate notifying u have recieved it
or does this 50 marks count towards your UAI?
im lost in this aspect..

i mean in yr 10 i failed every maths test i got like 50 % for my final report
but sum how i ended up getting 80% in my school cert for maths
weird man

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
your assessment marks get moderated to be similar to your HSC marks, ie it works out fair if your school has hard assessments or easy ones, cos if the assess marks are somewhat lower than HSC marks the assessment marks get pulled up, so no worries.

lol 50 % vs 80 % , you go to ruse don't you ?

Winston

HSC
hahah wat made u fink that lol..
i go to all saints senior
dont think uve heard of it
its in casula

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Did you do advanced maths in yr 10 cos if u did thats prob why you did so well in the SC exam- everyone (standard, intermediate and advanced) does the same maths test

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You probably had difficult assessment tasks compared to the actual School Certificate exam, and so your marks for them were comparatively lower.

i mean i keep hearing 50 percent of ur hsc is ur assessment marks and 50 is ur final examinations...
but the deal is the 50 percent counts towards ur HSC rite?
i emphasise on the HSC
as being just the certificate notifying u have recieved it
or does this 50 marks count towards your UAI?

Your scaled exam mark and your moderated assessment mark each constitute 50% of your UAI.

For the actual HSC, as in, the certificate, aligned versions of those marks are reported for each course, along with the rounded average of them (which is the HSC mark for that course).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
Hmmm... quite. But this'd be the trouble with forums anyway he's got to cope with it.
Besides, it increases his posts. ;)
Not an issue for him, BJ, only for us ...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Your scaled exam mark and your moderated assessment mark each constitute 50% of your UAI.

For the actual HSC, as in, the certificate, aligned versions of those marks are reported for each course, along with the rounded average of them (which is the HSC mark for that course).
right.

so is it "better" to get:

- an assesment rank of 5th in a cohort of, say, 50, and an HSC rank of 10th in that cohort, or
- an assesment rank of 10th and an HSC rank of 5th

eg. i came 1st in my year in art but didn't feel too good about the exam, and was about middle in english but felt my exam went fairly well. Which is the "better" result, if any?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It depends on how you think the rest of your school performed on the exam.

In your art scenario, your good assessment mark is locked in.
In your english scenario, your good exam mark is locked in.

Considering that you're ranked first in art, your moderated assessment mark will be set equal to whatever the top exam mark is at your school - no questions asked. Your exam mark will be whatever your exam mark is (and if that just happens to be the top exam mark at your school, your exam/assess marks will be equal). If your exam mark doesn't end up being so great, it could pull your final HSC (average) mark down.

Your 'good' english mark won't be affected by how your class performed on the exam - however your assessment mark here is variable will depend completely upon the results of the rest of your class. If your moderated assessment mark doesn't end up being so great, it could pull your final HSC mark down.

Personally I think having the good assessment mark locked in is better, but I couldn't say for sure without more info.

Commerce

UAI Calculation

Hey there,

This is a question for lazarus about his lazeseeker thing..ok here goes... when you say aligned exam mark in your program, what do u mean by that ?? Becuase i've been estimating my raw HSC examination marks for this section of the calculation....

Secondly, with the moderated assessment mark, how is this calculated ? I know the basics about the ranks how they equate to your exam mark, but when they say "right, this person came 6th in assessment rank, 6th place in exam got 78% raw mark, so we give him 78% for the moderated assessment portion of his HSC mark"...sounds confusing but is this how it works ??

Thanks for your help, and to reiterate..my main concern is the alignment of exam marks as i heard someone say that the highest raw marks in IPT last year weren't much over the 80's..however the highest mark in your calculator being 94.4 seemed a little odd...

Cheers.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Check out the UAI/scaling section of our site.

If you've further questions after reading those documents, post again.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Re: UAI Calculation

I know I'm not Laz but I can answer these ...

when you say aligned exam mark in your program, what do u mean by that ?? Becuase i've been estimating my raw HSC examination marks for this section of the calculation....
After the BOS marks the HSC and gives you a RAW score it ALIGNS the score, based on what the average RAW score is. Your ALIGNED mark is usally higher ...

Secondly, with the moderated assessment mark, how is this calculated ? I know the basics about the ranks how they equate to your exam mark, but when they say "right, this person came 6th in assessment rank, 6th place in exam got 78% raw mark, so we give him 78% for the moderated assessment portion of his HSC mark"...sounds confusing but is this how it works ??
Sort of. Your school also gets "ranked" which alters the exam mark, Laz can probably help you more with this one ...

Thanks for your help, and to reiterate..my main concern is the alignment of exam marks as i heard someone say that the highest raw marks in IPT last year weren't much over the 80's..however the highest mark in your calculator being 94.4 seemed a little odd...
Cheers.
As you can see from above, RAW scores are usually scaled up when ALIGNED, so an 80 could be ALIGNED to a score in the 90s if the average was low.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In reference to McLake's post above:

The ranking of schools or whatever have no bearing on the marks individual students get, just how well the cohort does in the final exam. The total moderated assessment marks are based on the total of the aligned exam maks, and hence, the average/mean of the exam marks is the same as the mean for the mod. assess marks. These marks are then distributed evenly, based on the overall performance of the cohort in the exam, preserving rank order in the process. There are exceptions to the moderation process, where if someone performs extraordinarily poorly in the exam, in comparison with their assessments, then they are excluded, so their result doesnt really affect everyone else

And aligned marks...they are based on what examiners decide is a "band 6 performance" based on the results of the state, and other factors...so yeah, some subjects, a raw mark of 80 may be exceptional, such as in 4U maths, and therefore, this raw mark of 80 is deemed a high band 6 performance, and consequently, the aligned exam mark becomes something like 95

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)