What language should I learn? (1 Viewer)

Zackyyyy

HSC
Hey guys, I'm not quite sure what programming to learn at home.

I'm thinking either Java or C++

Can anyone explain what would be better and why, I'm interested in doing computing, but not quite sure what to branch out into, any help would be welcomed.

Our SDD Class, is extremely bad.

So far this year we have,

• Mail Merged
  • Made a calculator using Excel
  • Played Pokemon Red
  • Played Lemmings
  • Played the extremely dull boring games on BBC's site.
Our teacher is so boring, I'm not quite sure exactly if he knows how to program himself.

He knows a lot about hardware, about the history of programming. But he is yet to even mention JAVA or C++ This year.

xzane

HSC
hey Zackyyyy,

Java and C++ are very similar but it really depends on what u want to do. i think that java is mainly used for web based programs although it can still be used for desktop applications whereas c++ is mainly for desktop applications. personally i would chose to program in c++.

if this is your first time programing c++ might be a little advanced, in our sdd class we started using pascal we then moved to java and now we are programming in c++

anyway hoped i helped with your decision

Zackyyyy

HSC
Thanks, yeah I was leaning more towards C++

I know a little C#, but I'm not sure how well it can be implicated to desktop programs, I know some HTML and CSS, Thats about it for my background coding experience.

Also I know little Ruby, from when I was about 14 and wanted to make a game with one of those rpg maker platform things.

sidereal

HSC
Uni Grad
i wouldn't be too concerned if your teacher hasn't mentioned java or c++ one month into preliminary SDD... the syllabus obviously doesn't specify what languages have to be discussed, but either way it doesn't come up until later in the game.

theoretically he should start teaching you some language some time in yr11. if you're serious about picking something up outside of school, asking him what language he intends to use would be a good start to deciding.

if you choose C or C++ i would strongly advise buying a book of some description rather than learning by yourself through internet tutorials or the like. it's very easy in both to pick up some bad habits that can become difficult to break later down the track.

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
Actually, find teh awesome book called "Programming Logic and Design".

It WILL help you in EVERY language. The pseudocode at least you will master.

BTW, start off in VB6 ONLY to understand how each function of programming works. Otherwise, if you try C++ first, you will be very overwhelmed.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
C/C++ is a great language don't get me wrong although it really depends on your skill and how much work you want to do, lanuages such as vb and python do garbage collection for although in c/c++ that's your job.

Ask him what languages he's going to teach and work from there, personally I would learn a language like python to get your feet wet, you can do some powerful stuff in it but it's really simple then move onto C/C++ or even C#

-MC

HSC
c++ is a great and i think you'll find a fun language.
I found it easier to get into than java. Command line programming is simple and wonderful, but more graphically focused programs can extremely daunting.

java can be pretty damn complex for a total newb and it really is a style of programming all on its own(it took me about 5 days to figure out how to compile and format projects, whereas codeblocks for c++ made everything a snap.)
you can also find some pretty darned good tutorials for c++ at C programming.com.

I'd say it depend alot on your background in programming. I actually love toying around with processing, so I find c++ alot more intuitive. processing is pretty simple and it's graphically oriented to the point where it's actually easier to make a program that gets a ball chasing your mouse than it is to print the words 'hello world' on the screen. It's also simple, lying somewhere between VB6 and python.

I assume you're doing this specifically for your major?
processing is a snap to pick up, but it's not all that powerful.
I'm writing a physics engine(2D) for my major, and actually considered using processing for the whole thing, but it just feels a bit all flash, no substance.

if you wanna do something graphics based, say a 2d game or some kind of intuitive simulationy kind of thing, flash is worth looking at, i've never used it but it comes highly recommended from a frind of mine who i regard as the god of programming and all other things IT.

so short answer: c++
long answer: whet your palate on processing or python, then learn c++

re: learning in class.
I was taught VB6 (a pretty useless language in my opinion) in preliminary, but in HSC they leave the learning of a language completely up to you.
The major work focuses its marks more on your documentation than on the actual program and in many cases, it is perfectly acceptable to hand in incomplete programs and you can even glean some good marks if you've documented well.

p.s. i'm biased having been completely baffled by Java starting out. I haven't given up on java yet, but it looks doubtful that i'll be using it for my major.
there's also about a billion IDEs for java, you'll probably want to go for JEE if you do want to learn it.

Last edited:

sidereal

HSC
Uni Grad
but in HSC they leave the learning of a language completely up to you.
this depends entirely on your school - some will teach a particular language and expect your project to be in that language, others are do whatever you want, there are a few that don't even do a project :S

Zackyyyy

HSC
Thanks guys for all your answers, I've begun doing some coding in Ruby, but think I will try some python.

I asked me teacher he said he would teach us VB6 sometime this year.

And yes, computing is my main interest as a career job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)