What laptop do u want for uni? (1 Viewer)

Which brand?

• Total voters

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
What brand of laptop do you want for uni and why?

Apple PowerBook 15" for me :D
I do heaps of video and audio work, so a fast Apple laptop for on the go will compliment my PowerMac setup. Also, the new dual layer burner and ability to edit uncompressed HD video and the DVI/HD output is excelent. Also, PowerBook runs all the software I need fast and in a small package with big features.

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I'd *like* a 17" powerbook, but realistically I've also been looking at some nice Centrinos, too. Still undecided :\

I would however mainly use it around the house (not specifically to take to uni every day), but it fits in with the topic.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I bought a laptop earlier this year. Initially I was looking at the lightweight ones (Samsung X20 for one, which is the lightest on the market - or it was 3 months ago, things change fast in technology) but in the end I figured I wouldn't be taking the thing to uni tha much anyways and I bought a hp Compaq nx6120.

Its good, I have a 1.7GBhz processor, 1GB of RAM, wireless, DVD Burner....

Most importantly its my own :)

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
dell xps gen 2, asus v6 or wait for the new apples

Ninga

HSC
I bought a Dell 700m earlier this year for my honours year :) Great stuff, awesome computer...

Lu Lu

HSC
I brought a computer at the start of the year for uni. I also went for a bigger one by Compaq (3205AP). Its already broken down once and is too heavy to carry around in my bag but has heaps of memory (80GB - I think -if that makes sense) and all that other stuff that its suppost to have (eg DVD burner, widescreen). I'm thinking of getting a new smaller lighter apple one so that I can take it on the train and stuff.

nwatts

HSC
I want a 17" powerbook, alongside many others. I do a fair bit of Illustrator/Photoshop work, and general web browsing/word processing... so it'd suit nicely. Plus, they're so sexy! And I love Mac OS X.

But i'll probably find myself getting a cheaper Dell or similar. Centrino if possible.

HSC
HP for me, a zv5000 more specifically. It's an upgrade on a clapped out toshiba tecra 8000 (p3 333) laptop which I got (second hand), prior to comencing uni and used for my work for two years, so that makes this one even more appreciated.

The only complaint would be that the battery life isn't amazing (But I rarely use it for much longer than an hour and a half or so away from an outlet, so that's a bit of a non-issue), and it could use some more ram, which I'll be seeing to in a few weeks.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'm waiting away for Intel's next generation Centrino platform (mmm, dual core laptop). When it actually comes, I'll probably go with an ASUS or an LG, but we'll see how we go.

I_F

Collin

HSC
N/A
God, I've been in the market for a uni/work notebook for awhile now. I originally saw this awesome Acer one (1644WLMi) which boasted a Pentium M 760 (2.0GHz), 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, 15.4in widescreen WXGA for $1,999. But then I heard alot of people talk about crappy build quality with Acer.. blah blah.. so I've opened my mind to a few other options. One is the Dell Inspiron 6000. A few customising moves from me resulted in a nice Pentium M 740, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, wifi, bluetooth, 90W battery, spare adaptor, 15.4in WXGA widescreen system for around $1,700.

I've never really considered getting an Apple since I've never been an Apple user and it's a bit unfeasible for me to start now since this would be a productivity notebook.. but of course I have nothing against them.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I want an Acer C314XMi tablet (only lower model C313XCi is available here though), but I'll be waiting for the dual core Yonah with 64 bit support and Napa platform.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
I want an Acer C314XMi tablet (only lower model C313XCi is available here though), but I'll be waiting for the dual core Yonah with 64 bit support and Napa platform.
I'm a fan of tablet PCs too! I was planning on getting a Toshiba Tecra M4 one awhile back.. but in the end the exorbitant prices put that on hold. If only Dell made them.. I doubt I'm gonna get a tablet if the ones with the specs I want still has prices which don't seem to cease to hover in the $4-$5k range indefinitely.

menty

HSC
I bought myself a Benq joybook 6000N a few weeks ago. Was planning to use it to study for hsc (lol). Anyway, ill be using it on my trip to HK, then sell it afterwards.
I love it. Small and light is the way to go for lappys.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
JKDDragon said:
I'm a fan of tablet PCs too! I was planning on getting a Toshiba Tecra M4 one awhile back.. but in the end the exorbitant prices put that on hold. If only Dell made them.. I doubt I'm gonna get a tablet if the ones with the specs I want still has prices which don't seem to cease to hover in the $4-$5k range indefinitely.
Originally I wanted a tablet that had good gaming performance since it was planned that there would be an extensive period where a laptop is the only computer I have. Hence the M4 was the only possible choice. However at that time it just came out, so was quite expensive, and had rather poor battery life, which defied the point of the tablet in taking notes etc.

However, now it seems highly unlikely that I will be away from a powerful desktop for long periods of time, so the Acer seems a logical choice. I prefer a full sized laptop, its battery life is decent (not as good as the HP TC4200 though), extremely powerful CPU yet still has enough graphics power to get that occasion game running fluidly. In addition its price is an absolute bargain considering the level of the components it has (at least in the US), seeing that an identically configured (where possible) HP tablet cost even more.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Have a 2 year old IBM Thinkpad R40. These machines are tough stuff - well built, good support, very solid.

klh

HSC
i recently bought a acer TM 2413 15.4" ws for about $1100...delivered in 3 days...
not bad, gets warm but ok. compared to my desktop, P3 128ram and 15gb hdd, the lappy i got was out of this world...it was really good for me to work with word, net, music and general stuff. bit heavy though and crap battery [2hrs ~1hr real perofrmance] buti use it mains power and its ok.
not gonna travel with it until i get a bag for it first...and i didnt realise so much extra shit..like bag, floppy, printer calbes [i have no leagacy ports]...
build is ok, i got a scratch on it form knocking the power cord [metal tip] in teh surface but meh. i wouldnt put it through rough stuff though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)