What majors should I take in B. Commerce at Usyd for investment banking career? (1 Viewer)

Lolly_Polly

HSC
Hi guys, I'm doing B.Commerce at Usyd and planning to do 2 majors (I'm leaning towards Finance and Econometrics). Which majors would be the best for Investment banking? What is Econometrics like at Usyd?

Also one of my friend is doing B.Economics at Usyd and is also interested in investment banking. Which 2 majors should he choose?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I'm considering a career in investment banking as well, and I'm doing a Finance/Economics double major. I'd consider the Finance major as absolutely essential, Economics/Econometrics would be a useful second major as well. Quantitative Business Analysis would be worth doing as well especially if you wanted to go into the more mathematical side of things.

And the Bachelor of Economics allows you to do a second major in the business school, so I'd recommend your friend do Finance along with one of the compulsory majors (Economics/Econometrics/Financial Economics).

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
finance / accounting.
accounting so incase things go wrong you know you have a backup plan

williamdaft

HSC
Anyone know how does double majoring work? As in, if I'm doing commerce (acct+fin) and it's same duration (3 years) as if I were to do 1 major, then how much work do I do in the two majors, am I more busy in my 2nd/3rd year than a person just doing 1 major? Or do I do less things from the 2 majors?

RishBonjour

HSC
Anyone know how does double majoring work? As in, if I'm doing commerce (acct+fin) and it's same duration (3 years) as if I were to do 1 major, then how much work do I do in the two majors, am I more busy in my 2nd/3rd year than a person just doing 1 major? Or do I do less things from the 2 majors?
Generally, MOST people do two majors in a single commerce degree (you need it to make up the credit points to earn the degree and graduate). Also generally, only people doing double degrees major in one area.

OP,

You should try QBUS (I think Quantitative business) - basically statistics major. With finance, seems to be a solid combo. But since you're a first year I would highly recommend trying your best in buss1030 (accounting) to see if you don't mind it (lecturer is brilliant - if you get Abdul, I'm sure you'll like it - "accounting is sexy").

Tell your friend to transfer into commerce.

williamdaft

HSC
Generally, MOST people do two majors in a single commerce degree (you need it to make up the credit points to earn the degree and graduate). Also generally, only people doing double degrees major in one area.

OP,

You should try QBUS (I think Quantitative business) - basically statistics major. With finance, seems to be a solid combo. But since you're a first year I would highly recommend trying your best in buss1030 (accounting) to see if you don't mind it (lecturer is brilliant - if you get Abdul, I'm sure you'll like it - "accounting is sexy").

:haha: thanks!

Hatake88

HSC
I am thinking of finance/economics as well since I find econometrics (ECMT1020) semi-difficult.

Btw, what do people think of majoring in commerce law, management or marketing btw? They seem to require less mathematics but I heard the prospects aren't too great.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I would argue that there are relatively good job prospects for management and marketing majors (maybe more so the latter). Problem is whether the jobs that are available are actually ones you would feel happy doing in the first place. In any case, I have friends who have studied it first year and having read their notes a lot of it just seems to be common sense. Maybe it's just me, but that kind of turned me off those majors to begin with.

And in itself Commercial Law probably won't give you too many future options, but it would make a great complementary/second major. A familiarity with the laws of business would be of great advantage no matter where you ended up working.

Bedi999

HSC
If you do a double degree engineering/commerce and have only one major to choose from commerce say just Finance, could you still move into an investment banking career but still have the engineering degree? Just in case I change my mind with engineering in the future, however still want the extra qualification. Is it still possible?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. The other majors aren't as directly relevant to the profession as Finance is.

Lolly_Polly

HSC
I'm considering a career in investment banking as well, and I'm doing a Finance/Economics double major. I'd consider the Finance major as absolutely essential, Economics/Econometrics would be a useful second major as well. Quantitative Business Analysis would be worth doing as well especially if you wanted to go into the more mathematical side of things.

And the Bachelor of Economics allows you to do a second major in the business school, so I'd recommend your friend do Finance along with one of the compulsory majors (Economics/Econometrics/Financial Economics).

How are you finding these two majors? Do they go together well?

Lolly_Polly

HSC

OP,

Would it be hard to become an investment banker with a bachelor of economics? And thank you for your advice. What course are you doing?

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Would it be hard to become an investment banker with a bachelor of economics? And thank you for your advice. What course are you doing?
From what i heard. It's not much of the degree you do. You can do commerce/economics/law/actuarial studies/engineering/adv.maths or similar and as long as you get 95+ wam or have a good amount of EC you should be able to get a vac/grad jobs. of course, connection would help so much.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
As far as I know (quite limited), no it shouldn't affect your friend's chances too much. But you want to MAXIMISE your chances of getting into whatever profession you desire right? In that case, commerce would be better.
However, someone with B Econ(stats, finance etc) and a solid D-HD average + work experience + interview is a solid candidate for anything I would say.
I think the main thing is - most banks don't care too much about what degree you have (unless its something completely irrelevant like arts). If they did, I'm sure they wouldn't hire pure engineering or science grads (top students, not kids crapping C).

Once you start university, you will find plenty of people who can appropriately answer your questions.

I just completed my first year of B.Comm - probably majoring in finance :)

From what i heard. It's not much of the degree you do. You can do commerce/economics/law/actuarial studies/engineering/adv.maths or similar and as long as you get 95+ wam and have a good amount of EC you should be able to get a vac/grad jobs. of course, connection would help so much.
I assume it was a typo and you meant 85+?
If you actually mean 95+ - you're delusional mate. No one in my whole course as a wam close to that.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
From what i heard. It's not much of the degree you do. You can do commerce/economics/law/actuarial studies/engineering/adv.maths or similar and as long as you get 95+ wamand have a good amount of EC you should be able to get a vac/grad jobs. of course, connection would help so much.
Um, was that a typo? It is extremely difficult to get a WAM that high.

I would say a credit or distinction WAM would be a minimum, depending where you go.

How are you finding these two majors? Do they go together well?
The finance major doesn't really start until second year, but I have enjoyed my studies in Economics thus far. I'm still in the early days of my degree though so I probably can't give you a proper answer yet.

But I think you'll find that economics permeates all areas of business and would go well with a number of majors.

Last edited:

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Um, was that a typo? It is extremely difficult to get a WAM that high.

I would say a credit or distinction WAM would be a minimum, depending where you go.
Um.. we are talking about investment banking right? then yeah, my stats should be correct. only the best out of the best gets into IB.

Edit: I get these stats from the net, it's not reliable. I can be wrong. But from whirlpoool forum people say it's extremely hard to get into IB and hence requires a really high wam.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
Um.. we are talking about investment banking right? then yeah, my stats should be correct. only the best out of the best gets into IB.

Edit: I get these stats from the net, it's not reliable. I can be wrong. But from whirlpoool forum people say it's extremely hard to get into IB and hence requires a really high wam.
Yes it is hard - if anyone could get into it and adapt to the lifestyle it wouldn't be attractive anymore.
lol Whirlpool generally says its 85+ wam. Which isn't a strict rule either (you have to be lucky to get in with a wam in commerce below that).
95+ is incorrect - by a long shot. Or people with a D average from UTS/MQ wouldn't be working for Goldman Sachs.
If 95+ is correct - you are basically saying that even the top kids from usyd commerce or comm/law won't have a shot at IB - you are clearly delusional.

EDIT: just read the thread you linked. Clearly you didn't understand what the guy posted - work out your selling point. "whether that be plenty of experience, very strong extracurrics, a 95% WAM or a package/combination of those, and focus on it." - where did he say you needed that to get into IB?

Last edited:

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is hard - if anyone could get into it and adapt to the lifestyle it wouldn't be attractive anymore.
lol Whirlpool generally says its 85+ wam. Which isn't a strict rule either (you have to be lucky to get in with a wam in commerce below that).
95+ is incorrect - by a long shot. Or people with a D average from UTS/MQ wouldn't be working for Goldman Sachs.
If 95+ is correct - you are basically saying that even the top kids from usyd commerce or comm/law won't have a shot at IB - you are clearly delusional.
as i said, i may be mislead. but the general consensus from the link above, shows that 95 wam would be something that you should be aiming for if you want a chance in ib.
of course with good amount of ec's and good past records (work experience etc), you possibly can get into ib with 85ish.

RishBonjour

HSC
as i said, i may be mislead. but the general consensus from the link above, shows that 95 wam would be something that you should be aiming for if you want a chance in ib.
of course with good amount of ec's and good past records (work experience etc), you possibly can get into ib with 85ish.
You are mislead.

Note the Edit in my above post. If you misunderstand a simple post like that - you will most probably struggle with university.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)