• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What makes a Business School better than the other? (1 Viewer)

Which of these is the most important for a Businsess School / Faculty

• The University

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Facilities and Location

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Teaching Staff

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Internships, Placements and Work Expereince

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • Study Abroad and Exchange

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Social Life

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Scholarships and Funding

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
Business Courses are some of the hardest to get in, at Australian Universities. Is it just a pure case of demand and supply or does Business Studies warrant such high entry requirements?

So what makes a Business School better than the one down the road? Vote for the most element of the below that makes A Business School/Faculty more attractive to a curent or potential student.

The Elements are explained below:

The University
- How old it is, the prestige, the perceived value of that final piece of paper. Not neccessarily what you learn or gain from it personally, rather what you seemed to have.
Facilities and Location - Convenience in terms of accessibility and on-campus infrastructure (labs, food, lecture theatres etc) and the support available to students - like preparing students for work opportunities, career development workshops etc.
Teaching Staff - the quality, expereince and industry expereince within the teaching faculty
Internship, Placement and Work Expereince Opportunities - How many placements does the University offer, how many internship opportunities are available via the industry partners and the other numerous opportunities to gain work expereince that is aligned with your education and skills.
Study Abroad and Exchange - The opportunity to spend a semester or 2 overseas at a reputed university, to learn another language, a way of life and grow your awareness.
Social Life - The clubs and societies, peer groups and networking opportunities. Making those years at University more memorable than knowledgeable
Scholarships & Funding - Financial support in recognition of your acheivements across the field.

Make your comments if you feel anything has been missed out. And if you can think of any examples out there that make one faculty at a particular University better (or more attractive to you) than the other.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting question but it's very easy for everyone to just tick off every option. Ultimately though, at undergraduate fresh from high school level, most people go to uni as part of the journey to getting a normal Commercey job in the real world. There were few people who were there to genuinely learn about accounting or business. Based on this, I'd put a higher priority on the "University" category, but there are definitely benefits to internship placement/work experience (if it's not given to every man and his dog which would make it worthless), and social life (no friends = no fun).

Freshman2013

HSC
Uni Grad
As long as I can find a job at the end of my course and have fun during my course. Thats why I go to University. Prepare me for success and make the expereince enjoyable.

Tanviraziz

HSC
I think "Internship, placement and Work Experience Opportunities" is the single most important criterion that affects the ranking of a business school. This variable is responsible for the future career/salary of the alumni, which plays a huge part in the reputation of B Schools.

The credentials of "Teaching Staff" is the second most important factor to determine a Business School's relative position in academia. Publications done by faculty members largely affects ranking.

Last but not the least, "The University" itself plays a major role in shaping up people's perception towards its Business School. The overall university ranking and its reputation translate in the Business School's ability to be the employers' choice.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting question but it's very easy for everyone to just tick off every option. Ultimately though, at undergraduate fresh from high school level, most people go to uni as part of the journey to getting a normal Commercey job in the real world. There were few people who were there to genuinely learn about accounting or business. Based on this, I'd put a higher priority on the "University" category, but there are definitely benefits to internship placement/work experience (if it's not given to every man and his dog which would make it worthless), and social life (no friends = no fun).
Hi @seremify007

I think Seremify sort of had the right idea about it. It has more to do with what you want to get out of your university studies and thus prompts you look at a particular brand of uni. The idea that a degree any of the uni's is rubbish. The cohert from one uni is going to be different to another business school cohert and/or other disciplinary influences.

from my personal uni experiences:
The University
don't be a deadpan. university name matters but it is a piece of paper that shows what brand of alumni you seem to be to the employer before you start working in the industry. once you begin working your way through a company or the industry, no one cares which uni you came from.

Facilities and Location
you should consider how bothersome it will be for you to attend classes or meet up for group assignments. think about how affordable lunch is in the area and perhaprs amenties on campus. it really depends on the individual who also likes the travel time to be long to catch up on readings or prepare for lectures during the train or bus trip. if you are a someone who is concerned about learning environment, check out the classrooms where business lectures are given and where tute classes and make the appropriate comparisons to unis you want to attend.

teaching staff
teaching staff at the main unis are always going to be unbearable whether it is teaching capability or accents that are too difficult to understand. however, I have heard the less convenient unis tend to have a more capable instructors but ensure you make the balance and trade-off of going to these unis compared to the perhaps better branded unis near the CBD.

internship, placement and work experience opportunities
that is what coops or cadetships are for. other than that, a business student can apply for internships before they graduate or apply for grad in their penultimate or final year. you may be lucky and there may be the very odd job that comes up on unsw careers but whatever to those sort of jobs.

from what I know, unless you get a very willing manager or executive manager who has time to groom you and/or you present yourself as to someone who can tackle full-time duties head on, you are in the way and are doing basic jobs that are unrelated to the grind of the actual business

study abroad
do this sort of research before you begin applying if you have an idea where you want to go or specific institution you want to study abroad to

social life
TOFU. not anyone else's problem. there are many opportunities to do something about it. I would recommend going to unis with a high proportion of undergrads in their teens as there is a big party atmosphere around.

scholarships and funding

kingofgames

HSC
N/A
I've read in to this quite a bit, a while a go. From what i gather you can probably read everything you need to know about Business from a book. I think what makes a business school better than others hands down is the people you are going to meet and potential for networking. i.e. Harvard Mark Zuckerberg and Pals. Other than that, the more time you spend there not getting actual experience in sales and management etc, the more time you are waisting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)