What makes for a good university? (1 Viewer)

LazyBoy

HSC
So we all agree that some universities are better in certain feilds then others.

This leads me to ask what makes a university good university. ? eg resources? prestigue? buildings? selectiveness? campus location? etc

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
In order of importance for me (relevant to the fact that I am more interested in the Law and Business faculties of a university):

1. Quality of education - A good university is one that has a sound record of teaching and learning excellence. This includes the university's record for research - indicating good teachers and the forefront of innovation/expertise.

2. Current students and graduate's overall satisfaction with the university - the more people are proud of their university and the more they recommend it to others, the more I'm inclined to believe that the university is up to student's standards

3. Intelligent cohort. I think that in an area like law where discussion is so important, it would be more beneficial to be surrounded by people who have a like-minded intelligence.

4. Library resources - what's a university without an excellent library?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
whatever suits you

in the end you can make whatever of university education you want as long as you apply yourself, just because one uni is renowned for being excellent does not mean you will do well at all.

everyone likes to make assumptions, but it wont do you any good if you dont apply yourself.

in the end you can always transfer if one uni doesnt suit you as much as u thought it would

LazyBoy

HSC
Well mine are
1. resources in general, so IT, etc.
2. record for research and teachers. Having the best of the best is always good.
3. Location. I think the location of a university is pivitle. The universities in the city i consider to be in a better location because the are closer to resources such as museums and libraries.
4. A good Union or Student association. Because the union shapes and supports the students.
5. Lots of groups and extra curricular acitvities. Uni is more then a place to get an education its a social experience.

LazyBoy

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
whatever suits you

in the end you can make whatever of university education you want as long as you apply yourself, just because one uni is renowned for being excellent does not mean you will do well at all.

everyone likes to make assumptions, but it wont do you any good if you dont apply yourself.

in the end you can always transfer if one uni doesnt suit you as much as u thought it would
Ok let me phrase this in a way you can understand and not think that someoens criticising your university. What do you feel is important in a university to support your education.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Hmm, I rather enjoy the Hawkesbury campus.

1. The environment - the fact that it isn't in the hustle and bustle of the city, I sometimes feel that I need to escape from the city and uni lets me.
2. Personal experience by lecturers in relation to their specific field.
3. Adequate resources - like books and journals.
4. Friendly people.
5. Flexibility in what I can study - like the subjects from different areas.

Lainee

HSC
LazyBoy said:
Ok let me phrase this in a way you can understand and not think that someoens criticising your university. What do you feel is important in a university to support your education.
:uhhuh: Good re-phrasing LazyBoy. This forum has really improved your clarity skills. :p

Lainee

HSC
Cape said:
1. The environment - the fact that it isn't in the hustle and bustle of the city, I sometimes feel that I need to escape from the city and uni lets me.
I actually think the opposite, cause I like the hustle and bustle of the city (maybe not the air pollution). Lots of people wandering around - shops and the like. A quiet, secluded uni would just be hell for me.

4. Friendly people.
:p Ooh forgot that, tis important!

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
LazyBoy said:

i dont think that but u make a lot of university threads that all relate in one way or the other a similar issue imo.

in the end it comes across that any other uni is unsuitable while assuming cause one uni might not have a big library or student union you will fail in life

what do i think is important to support your education? motivation and a suitable platform on which u can go fourther in ur chosen field ...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I just like to try and escape for a while each day, but everyones different. After all ... uni does get slightly stressful :p

LazyBoy

HSC
well one could say that ive learnt to baby the people who get really touchy when it comes to the topic of comparing universities. Im NOT syaing that. :p im just saying that yes im praciticing clarity

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i dont know it seems a bit redundant or maybe trying to convince yourself of something

i think most unis r good- its what suits u

LazyBoy

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
i dont think that but u make a lot of university threads that all relate in one way or the other a similar issue imo.

in the end it comes across that any other uni is unsuitable while assuming cause one uni might not have a big library or student union you will fail in life

what do i think is important to support your education? motivation and a suitable platform on which u can go fourther in ur chosen field ...
your missing the point. All the motivation in a world would mean shit if you went to a shit university. not that there are any in australia. But if you went to The University of MyRoom where im the lecturer you woudl get a shit education. So im asking what do you think is important to support your educational needs. This is different as it doesnt even mention specific universities so there should be no university bashing. lol. (should be anyway) so how about you stop beeing difficult and trying to prove somethign and actually contribute to the question in hand.

Lainee

HSC
thejosiekiller said:

LazyBoy said:
your missing the point. All the motivation in a world would mean shit if you went to a shit university. not that there are any in australia. But if you went to The University of MyRoom where im the lecturer you woudl get a shit education. So im asking what do you think is important to support your educational needs. This is different as it doesnt even mention specific universities so there should be no university bashing. lol. (should be anyway) so how about you stop beeing difficult and trying to prove somethign and actually contribute to the question in hand.
I have to agree with LazyBoy on this point. The kid is just asking what components would you look for in a university. What makes you go 'ooh, I think that's good about that uni'. Not asking you to specify a uni or anything or what it takes to succeed in uni. Just uni in general, and good attributes.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
sorry im imaging a university where its a pitt of hell in every single way

common be realistic- most unis r good

and the right amount of motivation will help you go where you want to

and even then if you are an visual/creatice arts student whos to say a uni is what you need- a private college might be better

Lainee

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
and even then if you are an visual/creatice arts student whos to say a uni is what you need- a private college might be better
Oh really? So better how? :)

(Ahhhh we're getting somewhere! :p )

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I agree with thejoisekiller in regards to the visual / creative people.

Private colleges tend to be better for those type of students cause they can have more resources on the practical side than what unis have. Uni, there really isn't that much practical resources that you use and learn - uni is mainly theory.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Lainee said:
I have to agree with LazyBoy on this point. The kid is just asking what components would you look for in a university. What makes you go 'ooh, I think that's good about that uni'. Not asking you to specify a uni or anything or what it takes to succeed in uni. Just uni in general, and good attributes.

um i dont know

im backlashing i guess against all of his threads and i feel like saying something

it may be reasonable on some level to say because one uni is bigger in size, student numbers or whatever it suits you is wrong to me

its what you want out of a uni that matters more than the trivial things a uni can offer in some areas. however it is fair to say that some unis who can offer different things in some areas will make it easier for you is sound i.e. location/transport

LazyBoy

HSC
Lainee said:
i object to "the kid" :p. im not 14 you know :p. Thejosiekiller, feel free to challenge my views, and my comments. In fact i ecourage, i do the same of you it would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise. There is nothing wrong with challenging in the views and preconceptions of people.

Lainee

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
im backlashing i guess against all of his threads and i feel like saying something
I just that's what happens when you go on 'education' forums - there are people who have opinions! *gasp* :p Plus people who are... how say... bored because with holidays at the moment there's no studying to be done. lol

its what you want out of a uni that matters more than the trivial things a uni can offer in some areas.
So that was the question - 'what do you want out of a uni'. :p Like house hunting... what are you looking for when uni hunting?! (uni shopping? uni selecting? uni choosing? take your pick of synonyms :) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)