what makes james ruse better than other schools?? (1 Viewer)

DucKy::

XDXDXD
HSC
free beer. yay. u REALLY need to get out more then if u think beer is that great..

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
this is one big big bitching of a thread.

this is my 2 cents:

at my school, obviously we would see that james ruse = nerds. geez, peoples, give it a break.

its the same with top private schools. for example, people see kings = snobbish gits who drive mercedes and own waterfront mansions. mate, i may or may not go to kings, but i know for a fact that not all fit that stereotype.

it shows, people dont have the time to go into the intricate details and prove themselves wrong. it is a reflection upon society as well. asians are stereotyped to be people who wears glasses, eats rice breakfast lunch and dinner, speak in a language that only has one syllable words that ends with "ong", have characteristicly thin eyes and have no social life. same with other cultures and races.

italians = mafia
lebanese/muslims = terrorists or "look mate...mate...mate...bro..." type person.
typical australians = singlet, slouch hat, beer gut, beer in hand, a couch potato watching the footy on the telly.

its a fact of life. generalisations are everywhere. it sux, but people learn to cope with it. sad fact is, people learn to stick WITH these generalisations.

its unfair that people do stick to these generalisations because its easy to remember. easier to remember james ruse = nerds, rather than james ruse = a couple of super-geeks, some all-round nerds, mostly great guys and gals, a couple of hot chicks, the odd drug addict and everything in between.

james ruse is not the perfect school. no school is. ALL and i mean ALL high school in NSW IS, is getting its students to recieve ONE SINGLE NUMBER at the end of their high school life. simple. its just some schools have the potential and the skills and the resources to get overall HIGHER numbers. thats all it is.

the rest of life really is up to the student. a school, not even james ruse can dictate what that student will do for the rest of his life. not even james ruse can prevent any student from having a social life.

plain fact is, GET OVER IT AND GET ON WITH LIFE. THERE IS MORE TO LIFE IN UNIVERSITY + CAREERS + JOBS + FAMILY THAN WASTING UR TIME BITCHING ABOUT MERELY 6 YEARS IN A LIFETIME.

lol, that is my 2 cents.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
James Ruse is just our arch enemy. Although now that I'm out of Baulko... I don't really think anything of it~

slinky_cumquat

Geriatric
HSC
james ruse has i think one of the highest suicide rates among schools.. so the pressure would be unbelieveable.

that and 92% of the students are of Asian background, a typically academic bunch of people.

the school has excellent teachers, and only takes the best of the best from the selective schools test from way back in yr 6.

A l

HSC
N/A
slinky_cumquat said:
james ruse has i think one of the highest suicide rates among schools.. so the pressure would be unbelieveable.
You wish! Even if it was true, they still take 1000+ HSC exam papers every year!

Bookie

Banned
HSC
slinky said:
the school has excellent teachers, and only takes the best of the best from the selective schools test from way back in yr 6.
Ahem, ever wish to care about those who got much higher than some JR students, but decided to not go to the shithole and as a result not put it on their list of selective school applications?

thewhitecomet

HSC
bobness said:
bookie i know for a fact ... that some of the ASIANS (fine like 99%) of them are obsessed with dota over at High

from what i heard (dunno if its true) .. people jig school or come late just to play dota in the mornings or have "all day OMFG!! DOTA SPAM!!!!!!!!" days.
Unfortunately, all true. Even you've gotta admit it Bookie- every time you go to a net cafe in the CBD during school hours, there's always guys from our grade in them. At least one guy! 24/7

Bookie said:
Ahem, ever wish to care about those who got much higher than some JR students, but decided to not go to the shithole and as a result not put it on their list of selective school applications?
You read my mind. btw, what WAS your application?
mine was High > NSBHS > Tech > Fort Street.

That was back in the glory days when we were 3rd/4th for decades... then the year we come in = ouch. My parents hated our school after that, always tried to get me to move to grammar.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
whitecomet said:
Unfortunately, all true. Even you've gotta admit it Bookie- every time you go to a net cafe in the CBD during school hours, there's always guys from our grade in them. At least one guy! 24/7
I dont think I ever have, but if it wasnt for them our school would have a much much much better image.

whitecomet said:
You read my mind. btw, what WAS your application?
mine was High > NSBHS > Tech > Fort Street.

That was back in the glory days when we were 3rd/4th for decades... then the year we come in = ouch. My parents hated our school after that, always tried to get me to move to grammar.
Dont worry, the 06 cohort will get it back to 3rd at least. We'll make dam sure we will.

Umm, mine was
High > Fort Street > Hurlstone > Tech (not sure about the order, High was first, thats all)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:

this is my 2 cents:

at my school, obviously we would see that james ruse = nerds. geez, peoples, give it a break.

its the same with top private schools. for example, people see kings = snobbish gits who drive mercedes and own waterfront mansions. mate, i may or may not go to kings, but i know for a fact that not all fit that stereotype.

it shows, people dont have the time to go into the intricate details and prove themselves wrong. it is a reflection upon society as well. asians are stereotyped to be people who wears glasses, eats rice breakfast lunch and dinner, speak in a language that only has one syllable words that ends with "ong", have characteristicly thin eyes and have no social life. same with other cultures and races.

italians = mafia
lebanese/muslims = terrorists or "look mate...mate...mate...bro..." type person.
typical australians = singlet, slouch hat, beer gut, beer in hand, a couch potato watching the footy on the telly.

its a fact of life. generalisations are everywhere. it sux, but people learn to cope with it. sad fact is, people learn to stick WITH these generalisations.

its unfair that people do stick to these generalisations because its easy to remember. easier to remember james ruse = nerds, rather than james ruse = a couple of super-geeks, some all-round nerds, mostly great guys and gals, a couple of hot chicks, the odd drug addict and everything in between.

james ruse is not the perfect school. no school is. ALL and i mean ALL high school in NSW IS, is getting its students to recieve ONE SINGLE NUMBER at the end of their high school life. simple. its just some schools have the potential and the skills and the resources to get overall HIGHER numbers. thats all it is.

the rest of life really is up to the student. a school, not even james ruse can dictate what that student will do for the rest of his life. not even james ruse can prevent any student from having a social life.

plain fact is, GET OVER IT AND GET ON WITH LIFE. THERE IS MORE TO LIFE IN UNIVERSITY + CAREERS + JOBS + FAMILY THAN WASTING UR TIME BITCHING ABOUT MERELY 6 YEARS IN A LIFETIME.

lol, that is my 2 cents.
amen brother ....

hey bookie you're not asian right? so why do you care so much if High gets top 3? hell i wouldn't mind if you guys collectively go the whole hog and top ruse .. just don't beat me yourself ;)

hahaha another rumour i heard from a Sydney Grammarian (whatever you call them).. do you guys have a vice principal who has to drive around to the city netcafes to round up High students?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:

this is my 2 cents:

italians = mafia

lol, that is my 2 cents.

Perfect rant there.
Delicious.
I like it.
Llamie

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
slinky_cumquat said:
I haven't heard of any suicides from JR in the past 14 years- my sister went there before I started high school, and I went to BHHS for my high school life, and I'm sure if there was a Ruse suicide, it'd be pretty well known.

The only selective high I know of which has had a few suicides is Normanhurst Boys- or so I've heard.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
median UAI for JR is 99.5!!!! Thats bloody hectic!!!

heart

sm:)e
HSC
Remember that's the median uai, not the average.

I think from an outside perspective it may look like james ruse puts a lot of pressure on its students. But i think that year 12 was actually one of the more better years there in terms of stress and workload.
Actually yr 12 was probably less pressuring that year 11, as a lot of people did less units and knew what units would probably count.

A l

HSC
N/A
I have posted this in the "Knocking off to Ruse" thread already. It might also have some relevence to this thread as well:
If you want an idea of how well the school does and what you're up against, here's some statistics from 2004 and this is something that other schools may have to achieve to overtake the James Ruse Agricultural High School's throne:
HSC 2004:
- Median UAI: 99.50
- 8 students scored a UAI of 100.00
- 813 student results with marks of 90% or higher in a subject
- 73 students scored 90% in 10 or more units
- Students in 1st place in Biology, Mathematics Extension 2, Agriculture (achieved by a Year 11 student) and Cosmology Distinction Course (achieved by a Year 11 student)
- Percentage of Distinguished Achievers in main subjects (i.e. the percentage of the whole grade in the school who took that subject and scored band 6):
* English (Advanced) – 67%
* English Extension 1 – 58%
* English Extension 2 – 59%
* Mathematics – 81%
* Mathematics Extension 1 – 93%
* Mathematics Extension 2 – 89%
* Chemistry – 72%
* Physics – 80%
* Biology – 76%
* Agriculture – 65%
* Economics – 54%
* Ancient History – 41%
* Modern History – 59%
* Information Processes and Technology – 70%
* Software Design and Development – 42%
* PD/H/PE – 55%
* Geography – 44%
* Drama – 17%
* Visual Arts – 50%
* Japanese Beginners – 100%
* Japanese Continuers – 100%
* Japanese Extension – 100%

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Are their debating team that bad? I know my school usually goes quite well in interschool debating and mock trials... so that's not to say selective highs can't go well.

The other thing I was also wondering is I remember my sister saying that about 6-7 years ago, there were new rules/laws/controls introduced which prevented schools from seeing student UAIs but rather relied on students voluntarily telling the school their UAI. In which case, people who got "disappointing UAIs" (by the standard of the school) may have been reluctant to report their UAIs? I know with my school we had to tell them our UAI (in exchange we got a free BBQ)- they said they didn't know what our UAIs were.

Btw bobness, 97 isn't really that great for our school but it got me into my first pref (B Commerce @ UNSW) so I'm reasonably happy. By any chance were you an ex-student?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
A l said:
* English (Advanced) – 67%
* English Extension 1 – 58%
* English Extension 2 – 59%
Why are they weak in English? I thought that they would ace in it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)