What mark are you aiming for raw? (4 Viewers)

Siddy123

HSC
Getting above ~93 begins to become a waste because there is a significant difference in difficulty in attaining such higher marks and much lower return.
yeah i heard between 83-94 there are massive jumps... but like in terms of atar calculation a 95 and a state rank aren't too different...

deswa1

HSC
97+ will be State Rank, and I am betting on a small handful getting 100.
You reckon that high? I doubt it tbh. Last year, one of my friends came 3rd in the state and he got like 115 or 116 raw. Can't see anyone getting 100 personally because why would it be any different to the old papers in terms of Q16/Q8 difficulty? Or do you think the shorter exam will make it easier?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Getting above ~93 begins to become a waste because there is a significant difference in difficulty in attaining such higher marks and much lower return.
yeah i heard between 83-94 there are massive jumps... but like in terms of atar calculation a 95 and a state rank aren't too different...
These are true.

However someth1ng, I wouldn't exactly call it a 'waste'.

Some people, like myself, didn't care about the ATAR and just cared about the mark for that particular subject.

So going through the Q8 and getting it all out most certainly wasn't a 'waste' for me.

You reckon that high? I doubt it tbh. Last year, one of my friends came 3rd in the state and he got like 115 or 116 raw. Can't see anyone getting 100 personally because why would it be any different to the old papers in terms of Q16/Q8 difficulty? Or do you think the shorter exam will make it easier?
Shorter exam and MC makes it a little easier, so people who would normally linger around 100+/120 with the old format would be crammed into a smaller interval, increasing probability of 100.

Siddy123

HSC
These are true.

However someth1ng, I wouldn't exactly call it a 'waste'.

Some people, like myself, didn't care about the ATAR and just cared about the mark for that particular subject.

So going through the Q8 and getting it all out most certainly wasn't a 'waste' for me.
defs agree.

personal satisfaction in knowing that u achieved ur personal best, as opposed to "93 is good enough- don't need to do last question" > a number

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, between 83 and 94, there is a big jump but after scaling, the jump isn't really that huge.

An 87 HSC Mark is 88.6 scaled.
A 94 HSC Mark is 94 scaled.
I'd estimate 84 to be ~86 scaled.

The difference as you can see is just a few marks but

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't exactly call it a 'waste'.
Well, I wasn't very clear with what I meant by "waste". It's just that, due to scaling, it tends to out scale most other subjects and the work you put into 4U can often have been put in another subject with could've yielded a higher mark and possible a significantly high scaled mark.

However, there are obviously exceptions. If you do love Maths and care about that subject or are aiming for 99.5+, that's a totally different story.

Siddy123

HSC
Yes, between 83 and 94, there is a big jump but after scaling, the jump isn't really that huge.

An 87 HSC Mark is 88.6 scaled.
A 94 HSC Mark is 94 scaled.
I'd estimate 84 to be ~86 scaled.

The difference as you can see is just a few marks but
where u getting this from?
if we're gonna talk about atar equivalents..
im pree sure once u hit 93 ur perfect coz its 99.95 atar equivalent

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No, there's a difference between 99.95 and perfect score.

The minimum for 99.95 is around ~47/50 scaled mark for all subjects.

Source: UAC

Atar Hater

hardout gangsta
HSC
This is why i'm sorta neglecting some subs for others haha.

Yeah i thought this too.

And i change my aim to 70+

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I think I got ~95/100 in my trial (which was bought btw), but that's if I didn't make any sillies (fingers crossed).

I'm not sure how much harder the actual HSC exam will be though, but I'm doing it next year anyway so it doesn't really matter atm.

Aysce

HSC
Aiming for 80+/100 if that's even possible :/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm currently writing a 'HSC Standard' MX2 paper (because only 2 or 3 schools write anything close to HSC standard) and I'd very much like to see how all of you perform in it if you attempt it.

Next school holidays.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently writing a 'HSC Standard' MX2 paper (because only 2 or 3 schools write anything close to HSC standard) and I'd very much like to see how all of you perform in it if you attempt it.

Next school holidays.
Considering that I'm writing part of the Chemistry one, do I get a wildcard? :p

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'll give you an early copy of the title page.

Does that help?

deswa1

HSC

Next school holidays.
Seriously looking forward to this. BTW, you've seen our school trial. What did you think of that in relation to HSC? Obviously it was easier but how much easier do you reckon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)