"what should I be doing to boost my career prospects?" AFTER FAILING FOR 2 YEARS (1 Viewer)

queenoftrash

HSC
[skip to ****** if TLDR] Hi, after stumbling here and there for two years post HSC, long story short, I changed unis THRICE and courses 4 times, finally settling into International studies (which I have done about a year (Part-time studies) of and after doing some Law electives, decided that this was the thing for me (Bachelor of Laws/International studies - Majoring in International business and Japanese).

Things I want to do after finishing this degree is (Listed in priority):
- Working for the government e.g. either like embassy work or in the immigration department
- For a company that has connections between Australia and Japan - probably work to do with management at an international level
- Lastly, like the back up plan, since I'm like multilingual (4 Languages - maybe 5), Interpreting (?) but only as a last resort

The thing is for these two years, I've been pretty lost both in regards to education and private life, I haven't really done much work, I worked for like half a year and couldn't cope with handling my studies then I quit. That however brought my Uni grades up super high.

****** I understand how all the careers and my degree in general is super competitive, basically in a long-winded way I'm asking for advice on what to do, or tips that help set me apart from my cohort, ATM all I am doing is long-term volunteering at a Salvation Army store, which probably isn't anything special.

- I've heard about things like 'career bootcamp' and 'ship for the world youth' - are there other things similar to this?
- Internships - can people recommend where? or tips even on how? to achieve internships - like where to look at

- In general, I'm a pretty unconfident person, and because it took me so long to be on the right track, I feel even worse that I am so behind all my peers that are graduating in 2 years and I'm still stuck here for 5

"what should I be doing to boost my career prospects?"

Mathew587

HSC
*bump*
i feel sad that i have no idea how to help :/

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Here is a tip - finish a degree and finish it well. Especially if you want to work for the government you should expect to get at least a D average and if you can get it, honours.

By placing too much emphasis, you are perpetuating your situation. Once you finish, you will perhaps realise there is very little emphasis on the degree you completed. Your degree in the workplace is almost as trivial as your ATAR or UAI at uni. No one cares.

HSC
You could always go consult with your university careers office. They can suggest internships that are right for you.

heyheyhey3

HSC
LMAOOO YOOOOOO Queenoftrash ARE YOU ME???? We need to be friends yoooo
I did my hsc in 2015 too
Let me DM u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)