what stimulus text to use for imaginative? (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
is the ivory trail the most commonly used stimulus text for imaginative? would anyone recommend journey to the interior?

Dark Phoenix

HSC
i used ivory trail for imaginative journeys. i find that by using different types of texts is better than using the same type of texts. since ivory trail is a book cover, it just makes the examination marker more aware of your ability to list and explain different techniques in different texts. what core text are u doing?

well i did coleridges poetry and i find that ivory trail fitted well with it.

as for journey to the interior, i didnt really focus on that text.

MattBungard

HSC
I'm using The Road Not Taken...it's very easy to comprehend and there's alot you can write about from it.

^emmie^

HSC
does anyone think that the town where time stands still is a good text to do for imaginative journeys

xinxin89

HSC
I'm doing Coleridge too, can someone explain to be how The Road Not Taken is imaginative? Isn't Frost actually standing infront of two paths and making a decision? how is he imagining anything?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Dark Phoenix said:
i used ivory trail for imaginative journeys. i find that by using different types of texts is better than using the same type of texts. since ivory trail is a book cover, it just makes the examination marker more aware of your ability to list and explain different techniques in different texts. what core text are u doing?

It's not the fact that the ivory trail is a book cover which makes it different. It's the fact that it belongs to the 'multimedia, non-fiction, websites etc' category of texts in the syllabus which i guess we ignore when we focus too much on 'novels' and 'poetry' for our related texts.

Ivory trail fits perfectly with Kubla Khan.

However i believe ivory trail is one of the most popular stimulus text for imaginative journeys (after the road not taken) so obviously your analysis should show original analysis and observant thinking. Which i'm sure you can do if you apply the effort and time :)

Dark Phoenix

HSC
xinxin89 said:
I'm doing Coleridge too, can someone explain to be how The Road Not Taken is imaginative? Isn't Frost actually standing infront of two paths and making a decision? how is he imagining anything?
The Road not taken is an imaginative journey in the way it requires the responder to make a leap of the imagination to create meaning.

Two roads diverged

Because it was grassy and wanted wear

Yet knowing how way leads on to way

I took the one less travelled by

Outside of the large towns of New England is a country of hills and rivers and agriculture and forestry. Frost's poetry, because of this often adopts the pastoral mode, that is, a peacceful, idyllic country setting to convey his concerns about the nature and meaning of life.

Got this info from some worksheet i got from school

kloudsurfer

HSC
^emmie^ said:
does anyone think that the town where time stands still is a good text to do for imaginative journeys
Im using it, because it fits in well with my other texts. I think it fits in well with imaginative journeys, but Im just a bit worried about having enough to write about.

James gal

HSC
wat would be the best text to relate to Daffodils???? or Alice in wonderland?

willowinchester

HSC
^emmie^ said:
I think that 'the town where time stands still' is a great choice for imaginative journeys as there are many different perspectives you can look at throught the text.

Shroddyy

Year 12 student in hell
HSC
Dark Phoenix said:

hey umm.....what other related text did you choose to compare 'the ivory trail' with?

thanx

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
I thought it the Road Not Taken was imaginative because he uses the roads to represent two choices in his life and he therefore had to imagine that these choices are roads.

xinxin89

HSC
I'm thinking of using "Finding Neverland" the movie as one of my related, however I'm not sure which two of Coleridge's poems it links up to.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
Shroddyy said:
hey umm.....what other related text did you choose to compare 'the ivory trail' with?

thanx
i used the matrix film by the wachowski brothers. this is what i said when comparing to ivory trail:

The use of camera techniques is significant in the matrix as the many shots of long corridors with no apparent end represent Neo’s never ending journey of discovery. This can be compared to Kelleher’s The Ivory Trail where the caption states ‘Not all journeys have an ending’ creating a sense of mystery in terms of Neo’s journey. Also the use of film noir in The Matrix is present as the use of black and dark imagery, which represents danger and vulnerability, can be juxtaposed to the rich and colourful imagery of Coleridge’s Lime Tree and Mariner and Kelleher’s The Ivory Trail.

oh and xinxin89 i love 'finding neverland', it was a great movie. hmmm i dont know what coleridge poems can link with it. possibly Lime Tree Bower My Prison and frost by midnight (not sure to be honest with ya)

i just found some information for you Xinxin89 on Finding Neverland

this one is from Ashley4988
Techniques from FN that i used to relate to this include:
-the bright lighting, colouring and costuming as well as light, happy music of the imagined games James plays with the children, compared to these aspects of their reality
- James shown not to accept limitiations "JUST a dog??....Thats like saying he can't climb that mountain, he's just a man or, thats not a diamond, its just a rock", shows how his imagination allows him to see the world differently.
- In the scene where James and his wife argue after their dinner with the Davies family, his wife opens her door, and through the crack we see nothing but darkness, however when James opens his door, we see sunshine and tree's and the sound of birdcalls. This reflects how he is able to use his imaginiation to free him from his less than present reality, and escape to a better place.

and this one is from lildruit
The vibrant imagery of Kensington Gardens, where Barrie often spends his time with Sylvia, and her family, contrast with the dull and dreary interior shots of his home. From the initial scenes, Barrie aims at introducing the young boy’s to the life of pure imagination, and dreams. In one scene Barrie tells the children of his dog, and how it can, at times, turn into a performing bear. The children don’t believe him and before proving it to them, he states ‘…its just a wee bit of imagination’. He then allows their imagination to speak for their minds, by ordering his dog to dance with him. Throughout this scene there are flashbacks between shots depicting his imagination, where the colour is vibrant and the camera zooms onto Barrie and the dancing bear and reality, where the children are watching Barrie and his dog play in the gardens. The children are enchanted and in turn it inspires Barrie.

These contrasts between adult drama to childhood fantasy are an integral element in creating the imaginative journey of Barrie, the children and the audience. Director Marc Forster employs special techniques that combine the real world of London with Barrie's overactive imagination. Often, ordinary shots turn into enchanting tales, such as when the Davie’s children are putting off bedtime by jumping on their beds, only to suddenly soar into the air and out of the window. With these special effects added to the film, it in turn allows the responder’s imagination to be stimulated by Barrie’s mind and work.

The music throughout the film is played by a simple orchestra which conveys a dreamlike mood. This is done by using quiet vocals, and simple instruments such as the flute, and violin. The music tends to get more upbeat before, and during, the flaskback scenes throughout the film, which highlights the importance of Barrie’s changing personal imaginative journey.

The last few scenes of the film see Barrie achieve his imaginative dream, by showing his play of ‘Peter Pan’. In it stars Sylvia’s three boys, all with an important part in the play. It wasn’t only Barrie’s mind, which wrote his famous play of Peter Pan, but also the inspiration of Peter, the youngest boy.

i got it from this site
http://community.boredofstudies.org...ng-neverland.html?highlight=Finding+Neverland

Last edited:

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I used Margaret Atwood's Journey to the Interior. It fit perfectly with my Coleridge poems and my stimulus texts. My primary thesis statement was concerned with journeying throughout one's own mind, which is exactly what Atwood does. The fact that I ended up doing three poems didn't seem too restrictive either, as Atwood uses free verse and vastly different techniques to that of Coleridge.

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
^emmie^ said:
can anyone tell me hoe "The Town where Time stands still" is imaginative?

goosiegoo

HSC
sammi260 said:
can anyone tell me hoe "The Town where Time stands still" is imaginative?
Most people i know who are doing 'the town where time stands still' are focusing on the fact that it's about the search for the genii loci (sp?) which is a sort of.. utopia. And the fact that the imaginative journey is about the only place where you could possibly find utopia..

xinxin89

HSC
Thanx heaps Dark Phoenix!!! i find the info you found me quite useful, i'm thinking of linking FN to limetree and kubla, since FN is about both the power of the imagination (ties with kubla) and its impact on the individual (limetree). Thanx once again!

Dark Phoenix

HSC
xinxin89 said:
Thanx heaps Dark Phoenix!!! i find the info you found me quite useful, i'm thinking of linking FN to limetree and kubla, since FN is about both the power of the imagination (ties with kubla) and its impact on the individual (limetree). Thanx once again!
no problem xinxin89, can u send me a private message of your essay with FN when u finish. i guess im just a big fan of FN lol. thxs. good luck with it

xinxin89

HSC
sure thing, i will

Dark Phoenix said:
no problem xinxin89, can u send me a private message of your essay with FN when u finish. i guess im just a big fan of FN lol. thxs. good luck with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)