What subject should I drop for next year. (1 Viewer)

davidshi

HSC
Here is a list of my subjects in the rank of priority and it is the last two which are up for contemplation.
1.Advanced English
2.2 Unit Maths
3.Extension English
4.Chemistry
5.Economics
6.Modern History
7.Biology

I am currently topping all of my subjects and need an ATAR estimation.

Thank You.

Kowther

HSC
I would say keep bio, but due to the fact you're already doing heavy loaded subjects. get rid of bio. modern's surely easier.

HSC
Decide after you finish your prelim year. Still plenty of time to make your choice.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
My brother did bio and modern at first but dropped modern at the end of year eleven because he took up MX2. He also was deciding between modern and bio when dropping a subject and chose modern because the workload was heavier. He was a pretty lazy guy, genius who ended up flunking the HSC (in comparison to what he could have got that is, he ended up with a 93). Bio ended up being his highest mark because he didn't need to study to do well, he said it was mostly common sense and all pretty easy whereas you need to know a lot of information about international tension, political context, etc with modern and you had to be able to interpret the information a lot more than you do in bio. So I guess if you've got a pretty heavy workload (and you do seem to) bio would probably be the smartest to keep. I don't do biology, my friends who do say it's pretty easy while modern requires a lot of work to do really well. But as falsenthusiasm said, definitely wait until you've had time to assess both and see which you are personally better at and can excel in.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow you did the exact same prelim subjects as me, so I remember my prelim experience with all of them.

I did both Bio and Modern and they were actually my best and second best subject respectively(although tentatively it was only 1 mark difference, and iirc Modern scales slightly better which makes it fairly equal). They are both quite different in their demands and their skills, are you performing equally in all your subjects? (Cohort sizes, rank and school rank?)

I'd say definitely try your best in all of them and make the decision after you receive your final prelim ranks after yearlies. Don't foresee the decision and neglect the subject because you think you will drop it(I did this with Economics to an extent), because if you change your mind (and you do tend to in your way through yr 11), you may regret it. Putting a good effort into all subs in prelim will give you a good gauge of where your capabilities lie and which subjects you will reap greatest reward in (effort vs reward).

On the whole, I'd say most people find bio easier in the content as you can to a degree rote learn parts of the syllabus. It's also more 'common sense', the syllabus is easy to follow and you can literally tick off dot points. However to reach the upper echelons of bio marks, you have to pay strict attention to the verbs and structure of your answer. (Especially Discuss questions). Also you have to clear and structured. Ohhh and Yr 12 bio content is far, far more interesting imho, if you like human biology over plants and that.

More people find the content in Modern overwhelming (I personally did not so, but I think many people did not realise you didn't need to know every XYZ fact). What the real crux of Modern is, is structuring coherent historical arguments with good essay skills. Source work is also a key element. If you do not grasp the holistic crux of whatever topic you are doing, you will struggle particularly in the National and Conflict study. I'd say with Modern, definitely check with what topics you are doing in Yr 12 because even good history students have topics they love and ones they are quite indifferent too. We did more interesting things in our Yr12 course, but only because I loved Russia.

I'd say to succeed in both, you need hard work but interest can be a big factor in which you perform better in. Interest is a good decider if you have equally apt skills for both of them (like I did for Bio and Modern).

Also out of interest, are you planning on picking up any units in Yr 12?

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you're not picking up any units then I suggest that you should keep all of them at least until the half yearly exams or something, just so you definitely know what you want to drop that subject as you may not keep your number 1 rankings in year 12 due to various reasons such as stuffing up assessments, other people picking up their game and studying, not understanding concepts, etc

Just before you drop think about:
What are you worst at
What subject do you dislike the most

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)