what TEXTBOOK do you use?! (1 Viewer)

scorpio7_dan

HSC
maths is focus

hey yeah we use maths in focus, margaret grove made it or sumfin. its pretty good, the examples help you get throught the exercises.

HSC
SteaLaZ said:
we dont use a textbook... our teacher has a whole stack of his own notes for each topic
wow, must be pretty good notes.

i use maths in focus and jones and couchman.

sarahn

HSC
we use couchmann, with photocopies from fitzpatrick....

is there some particular reason that couchmann is meant to be so crap? or is it just the fact that its questions are especially difficult?

sarahn

HSC
sarahn said:
is there some particular reason that couchmann is meant to be so crap? or is it just the fact that its questions are especially difficult?

OOPS!....i meant to say ARENT especially difficult!!!!

HSC
note! maths in focus, extension 1, book 2:

some of the graphs in the inverse functions section are wrong. one of the graphs of y = x^2 doesn't even have it's vertex at the origin.

jus wanted to let you all know if you're using it.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Back in the day... I used Cambridge & Fitzpat. I think they both proved to be quite useful.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Hey sarahn,
(i just edited my post)
Id love it if i could go through a whole chapter without having to fix up the answers in the back of the book. I swear i have had about 5 answers in the back wrong so far for each chapter.

I have also been using Maths in Focus which is really descriptive. Also Excel, phoneix maths(great for q's), and cambridge which i find a little to computerised in the way it is set out.

Last edited:

sarahn

HSC
krabby_me said:
Hey sarahn,
(i just edited my post)
Id love it if i could go through a whole chapter without having to fix up the answers in the back of the book. I swear i have had about 5 answers in the back wrong so far for each chapter.

hahaha...but isnt it a good feeling when you get a question right and the textbook doesnt?! :p

btw krabby, how many textbooks do you have...you always seem to turn up to class with a million!!!!

mystake

HSC
We use Maths in Focus but i reckon the examples are crap they only do the really basic ones, we were also given all the coroneous books for more questions as well as stacks of past papers

pete_mate

HSC
KAROHNEUSSS!!!

good ol' jim, god rest his soul. poor guy died this year, though the book is pretty old.

old but good, it takes some getting used to tho, cos its all type-written

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
We've been using Bill Pender - Cambridge

I also use fitzy as a supplement though.

clintmo

Coroneos is teh pwnz0r

we use his book in both ext and 2unit, we have had shit photocopied from a couchman book, our teacher says coroneos is good for 3unit and maths in focus is too easy... opinions?

MolestLawzy

HSC
I started using Fitzpatrick's as a supplement to Maths In Focus. Both my 2u and 3u marks jumped by 20% each. Some parts of MIF aren't "too easy" for instance, loan repayments and geo. apps. of calc but none of the chapters has a large variety of q's, which is MIF's downfall compared to Fitz and Cambridge.

Cambridge is better than Fitz though, purely because of the greater variety of questions and Fitzpatrick skips answers sometimes! Bludger!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Jones & Couchman Book 2 and my teacher photocopies sheets from Maths in Focus. I hate how the book doesn't give full answers - esp circle geometry! *curses book*

Riviet

HSC
N/A
My school textbook is cambridge, also using fitzpatrick and Patel's excel book for practice/revision.

gifted:)

HSC
Our school uses fitzpatrick but the polynomials is pretty hard. i use exercises from other books- coroneos, terry lee, cambridge- when it comes to studying for exams. i think i did a few exercises from couchman too. Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)